Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anyone else think we need to take notes?

mileskb

Hi,

I've been working on a bunch of patches that have extremely different I/O configurations.  I'm running into an issue where I need to start writing down (actually I should have done this) what gets plugged in where.  

I was thinking, much like my DAW as for each project, a notepad.  Not very long, but enough to say stuff like.

Stereo on Ret 1/2

Sustainer on Ret 3

Rockman in Aux

Guitar in Guitar

Test signal in Ret 4

This was just a made up list, but you get the idea.  I can imagine coming back to a patch used for a partiular amps and effects setup that wan't used for 6 months and having to try and remember where eveything goes.  

If others think this would be useful, I'll add to IdeaScape..  maybe they already thought of it and we can vote it up.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I've been working on a bunch of patches that have extremely different I/O configurations.  I'm running into an issue where I need to start writing down (actually I should have done this) what gets plugged in where.  

I was thinking, much like my DAW as for each project, a notepad.  Not very long, but enough to say stuff like.

Stereo on Ret 1/2

Sustainer on Ret 3

Rockman in Aux

Guitar in Guitar

Test signal in Ret 4

This was just a made up list, but you get the idea.  I can imagine coming back to a patch used for a partiular amps and effects setup that wan't used for 6 months and having to try and remember w Helix ithere eveything goes.  

If others think this would be useful, I'll add to IdeaScape..  maybe they already thought of it and we can vote it up.

Some on the board don't understand my position, but this is precisely the reason I wish the new "editor" could be used from my easy chair, or bed for that matter, without being teathererd to the Helix itself.  I would love to be able to work, make notes, etc. and do things that have nothing to do with the actual sound

Some on the board don't understand my position, but this is precisely the reason I wish the new "editor" could be used from my easy chair, or bed for that matter, without being teathererd to the Helix itself.  I would love to be able to work, make notes, etc. and do things that have nothing to do with the actual sound

I also like the ability to be untethered and work offline in an editor but it might be a synching challenge for L6 (not that it can't be done). Your best alternative for working remotely with an iPad right now might be this although you would still be required to have your PC connected to the Helix and the Helix turned on:      

http://line6.com/support/topic/19535-control-helix-app-from-ipad-or-android-tablet/

I've made an Excel list with all Helix stuff like Global Settings, Guitar Input Impedance, Tuner Offsets, IRs and so on

That helps me to make my personal settings fast after a Firmware update and global reset.

Helix really needs the ability to export and import all that global stuff, for exactly this reason, and as backup in case your unit dies and gets replaced.

Not to mention some future universe where you travel with no physical rig at all, put a Helix in your rider, and show up w a USB stick containing all your stuff, which you can load directly into it without a computer (:-)

Helix really needs the ability to export and import all that global stuff, for exactly this reason, and as backup in case your unit dies and gets replaced.

Not to mention some future universe where you travel with no physical rig at all, put a Helix in your rider, and show up w a USB stick containing all your stuff, which you can load directly into it without a computer (:-)

This would be great but until they change the USB design and protocol to collapse the USB Type "A" and USB Type "B" into one Type "A/B" device, we are going to see manufacturers forced to make the difficult choice between providing one or the other, or when we get lucky and at increased cost and risk of equipment damage, both. The two types design ("A" or "B") was originally intended by the USB designers as a safety feature to prevent one device from shorting another but it definitely has its unintended consequences.  I had this same complaint when I got my Behringer XR18 which allows recording to a DAW but does not allow recording directly to a USB dongle. A feature that is ironically available on the lower priced XAir mixers. However, although the lower priced XAir mixers can backup or record to the USB stick, they cannot connect to a computer for use with a DAW. A compromise we are stuck with for the moment and not one that has been dictated by Line6. Line6 chose to give us the ability to use the Helix as a soundcard and controller as part of a DAW through the USB connection. Probably by far the preferred option given a choice of the two ways to implement a USB connection. The only way I know of to get around this is to include both types of USB jacks and this does currently increase the chance that someone will use them improperly and short out the Helix. Here is a good article on the two USB types.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0E543C70602423C486256DB8006208DE