Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Horrible hiss noise on Amp output mode

angelectrico

Well I wanted to try my Firehawk with a regular amp, a Vox AC30vr and a Marshall combo to test how it sounds with the Amp simulations and cabinets off and use the Firehawk just as a regular multi fx pedal just for effects and overdrives, and the problem is that in Amp Output Mode I get a really noticeable hiss noise that I can´t get rid off, I turned off all the effects and still there is to much noise.

With the Line Output mode I have no problem with noise, but it does´t sound good with a regular amp, so the question would be is this normal? Or there is something wrong with my unit???

Someone has tested Amp Output Mode and noticed any hiss noise? Not even a little? Should I send my unit to warranty service?

Ok thanks, I´ve been testing and it´s not noticeable when I´m playing, especially in a rehearsal with all the band, but once I stop playing there it is, that noticeable hiss noise, and if I use it in Line Out Mode it´s completely quiet.

gimmickmusik or anyone: hope you can help me with two questions:

1. Have you noticed that if you change the output mode from Line to Amp the volume gets lower? Is that normal? I had a POD 500X before and I don´t remember any difference, but maybe I´m wrong.

2. When I use Amp Output Mode headphones stop working, they only work in Line Output Mode. Is that normal too?

angelectrico, in response to your last post:

1.  Yes, line mode has a higher output level.  The amp level output is much lower.  Obviously use amp mode for driving an amp and line level for any thing with line in socket.

2.  It's normal. If you have an amp output then why do you need headphones?  It's more a rhetorical question than one requiring an answer. If you are running to an amp then what you hear in the headphones will be different to what you get out of the amp as there is the amp's pre-amp, tone stage, power amp and cabinet/speaker to colour the sound.  Perhaps plug the headphones into your amp's headphone socket.

However, if using XLR output then according to the manual you should get the same sound through the phones as you get through the XLR.

As to your original post, it sounds like a grounding issue.  When you touch the guitar, strings, you effectively act as the ground conduit.  It suggests a grounding problem with your guitar or cable.  Ah, you've said it doesn't happen using line level output.  What is your set-up?  What sockets are you using? ie XLR?  1/4" mono, 1/4" stereo?

suedehead thanks for the answer, and yes, both last questions are maybe obvious, I just wanted to check, just to be sure my unit wasn´t damage, even if answers where obvious, but the thing that is not clear to me yet is the hiss noise, as I´m using a normal guitar combo amps I use the plug 1/4 output to go into amp, the hiss noise is there even when I´m touching the strings, so it´s has nothing to do with that, what I meant was that the hiss noise it´s not loud enough to ear it when I´m playing, but once I stop, even when touching the strings, the hiss it´s really noticeable. It sounds like if I had a really high gain amp or distortion sound active, and with a compressor making the noise even more noticeable, and without a gate keeping the noise out, but the thing is that I turn off the amp, and all pedals, even reverbs, delays and modulations, having only the sound of the guitar going thru the Firehawk completely clean, and the hiss sound it´s still there. Turn any effect on or off doesn´t seem to affect that hiss noise at all, moving settings in any function of the Firehawk doesn´t change anything either, the hiss sounds remains the same volume and intensity, and if I press the button to change to Line Output Mode, instantly gets completely quiet.

Maybe it´s not a major issue, and I could live with that, it´s just a little annoying, and I just want to be sure if there´s anything wrong with my unit

• 8 months later...