Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't change default audio device from Helix

joetink

Hi All,

I'm loving the Helix since I got it in October.  However, one issue I'm having is that when it's plugged in via USB to my machine (Gateway DX4860, Windows 7, SP1, 3.30gh, 6GB RAM, 64Bit), I cannot switch my default audio device to anything other than the Helix.  This means that I can't play any audio in my media player or browser while the Helix is plugged in.  While this wasn't an issue when there was no editor, the newly released editor makes this an issue - I want to constantly be tweaking sounds and still have access to music to play along with or learn.  I can click 'set as default device' for my standard speakers or my Presonus interface as much as I like, but it literally does nothing.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

-Joe

May be its something related to what I found on Windows 7. If you go Control_Panel->Hardware_and_Sound->Manage audio devives

On the plaback tab Right click item and make sure the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconected Devices are checked. Once it is you'll see all the audio device and you will be able to change where you want to sound to go. Hope that works for you.

Hi All,

I'm loving the Helix since I got it in October.  However, one issue I'm having is that when it's plugged in via USB to my machine (Gateway DX4860, Windows 7, SP1, 3.30gh, 6GB RAM, 64Bit), I cannot switch my default audio device to anything other than the Helix.  This means that I can't play any audio in my media player or browser while the Helix is plugged in.  While this wasn't an issue when there was no editor, the newly released editor makes this an issue - I want to constantly be tweaking sounds and still have access to music to play along with or learn.  I can click 'set as default device' for my standard speakers or my Presonus interface as much as I like, but it literally does nothing.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

-Joe

Another possible solution is to use the Helix as your sound card, the benefit of this is there is less latency then the sound having to go from the Helix to your PC's sound card. Just plug headphones into the Helix or you can even connect the Helix to your computer's powered speakers directly.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.  I've already got the 'show disabled devices' and 'show disconnected devices' marked.  The issue is it literally won't let me change the default device.  I'm not looking to use the pod as my soundcard, as I'm going through a presonus firestudio and I'm constantly going back and forth between guitar through the helix, and bass and vocals through the presonus. 

Does anyone have any further ideas?

Thanks!

-joetink

Have you tried disabling Helix in Windows? You can do that for both playback and recording devices. Same place you're looking for disabled devices. Make sure Helix is turned on first, it doesn't show up otherwise. Also, doing this doesn't prevent using Helix's USB audio in your DAW or using the editor.

That's certainly strange then. Never came across something like that. Could be something specific to your OS install. No idea what, sorry. The only thing I might suggest if you haven't tried already is to uninstall the Helix drivers and then reinstall.

Same problem here.I'm running Sonar 3 on windows 10. I have a Motu firewire, a mackie onyx firewire and I Motif xs8. When I power on the Helix, all my other sound driver turn disabled. so I cannot record from my mackie or my motu when the Helix is on. Never had problem recording from all my stuff at the same time with a Pod  XT but with the helix it's a big problem for me.

• 1 year later...
Hey everyone,

joetink / rickcaron, I was having the very same issue with no turnaround. I was/am using Sonar Platinum and Helix (when connected by USB) was taking over any audio device and disable it. I do was able to play music with lets say winamp somehow (through the my audio interface while running Helix on my DAW) but not to use my audio interface to play the audio track on my DAW. 

My goal was to automate CC messages with Sonar while playing the backingtrack (This might be easy if connecting Helix via midi cable and not USB but come on!)

But the issue seems to be with Sonar itself. I got a 'test period' Ableton Live copy and everything works just fine! no issues at all. I really wanted to do this on Sonar since Sonar handles PC messages as well as CC32 and CC69 which are needed to control Helix while Ableton has its limitations about this but well, this worked with Ableton and not with Sonar for me. Maybe you have a try.

Best!