Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 - Can midi commands be sent automatically?

Jecswp

I hope the thread title makes sense.  I'm working on getting my Helix and DT 50 to play nice together.  I've learned to assign footswitches to send midi commands to set up Channel A/B, Voicing, Class, and Triode/Pentode in a given patch.   If I switch to a second patch with different settings, is there a way to have the original settings recalled automatically when I return to the first patch?  Or do I, once the patch is open, then have to press the footswitches to resend the commands?

Thanks for your help.

See Command Center section on page 37 of the Helix manual.

up to six "Instant" commands can be transmitted automatically when a Helix preset is recalled

Pretty sure these instant commands can be set up as MIDI CC to switch the DT topology.

• Upvote 1

Yep ... its pretty darned slick. Those instant commands can send patch changes (even via bank settings) and CC commands, to any MIDI channel. Its quite flexible, so you should have no problem sending all you need to put the DT50 into a known state for any given Helix patch.

• Upvote 1

Sweet!  Thanks, roscoe5 and soundog.

Edit:  After reading p.37 I realize I don't even have to waste a footswitch to do it.  I mean I can.   But if I want to just set the voicing, topology, etc. and leave it, I can save the switches to control amp or effects blocks, or other parameters that are more likely to change within a song. :o mind blown

The DT amps are the best.

​You guys won't believe this...but I sold my Bogner Ecstasy head after getting my DT50.  I just didn't need it anymore.
​Now THAT is saying something. (and yes...I know it might be saying I'm crazy lol)

I have it set up basically like I did with my HD- amp model changes with preset and the Topology, Class, and tube state follow. It works great after a bit of programming. The Dream Rig lives on...!

I know.  I was nervous when I started due to how unhappy some people were about poor DT/Helix integration.  But apart from one cable and some extra start up time, it's exactly the same. 

• Upvote 1

Yep it works great that way.  Just remember that it's the same as using DT Edit.  The DT will stay in the last configuration it gets from the Helix.  I am at the point where I just set one channel voicing to DT amp/cab off, topology III, and leave it that way.  Now its just a tube power amp and I don't need the midi cable at all, just the L6 link.

Yeah, I'm sure that's how it will work out.  I like to imagine myself using my new found knowledge to create hundreds of intricately detailed patches that put all of the greatest tones in the history of the world at my fingertips.  But I'll probably just end up using one or two that I really like.   :rolleyes:

Just picked up a DT50 brand new from GC for stupid cheap ($500) and I've been messing with it for the last 2 days.  For some reason the instant commands don't seem to be working for me to set up channel B for something like an JCM800 and Channel A for a Deluxe reverb tone.

Then again, I'm also in 4CM with added Midi so maybe I'm doing something stupid.....but it gives me much more flexibility than just an L6 connection with one amp per preset. this way I get 3 amps per preset.

I set up a pretty intricate preset with most of my commonly used effects and an amp model for high gain like a Mesa or Engl. I switch to the DT channels for the other 2 tones that I want (clean and crunch). I have them set up manually and they work if I no longer screw with Midi, but it doesn't seem to work the same if I use the command center to send the CC. 

I will say that I really like the DT50 even as a stand alone amplifier. surprisingly good tone. I couldn't pass it up for $500 new with warranty. Even without Helix I would have snagged it for my studio. But with the helix, it's incredible,.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the midi commands to work like I want them to............... :(

Some of the parameters have different CC# for Channel A and Channel B.  That tripped me up a few times.

Yeah, I saw that, but that isn't working either. I'll try building a patch from scratch to start, maybe that will help.