Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500x v HD500

airguitargb

Been offered a 500x as part of a trade on guitar. I have had a 500 for 4 years and all set up well with my Marshall JVM. I use it for channel switching and effects. I also use some modelling.

My question is does the X offer that much more to make it worth changing as I understand I can't simply migrate my tones over from old to new.

I know the X has more memory and some pretty lights around the foots witches but can anyone think of a reason to need to change as I don't use anywhere near the memory capacity of what I have really.

Thanks

Yes you can transfer your HD500 presets directly into the HD500X using their respective Edit programs. You can't always do the reverse because with the HD500X and its additional DSP you can create presets that would exceed the HD500 limitations.

As you say, there is no need to upgrade but if the price is right you never know when the extra DSP and improved footswitches could come in handy. But in your case I probably wouldn't consider it for more than a few tens of dollars.

But don't worry about having to rebuild all your presets. You won't have to as long as you save them to your computer before giving up your Hd500 device.

The X may have more memory, but the way the devices are programmed, you can still only use a max of 8 effects. 

So, to answer the question.... 

As long as you have kept up with the software updates, there is no real benefit to upgrading to the 500X from the 500. ~~~I know some guys that upgraded to the X and thought it was lightyears ahead. But then when they learned that 500 had software updates that made the two units virtually the same, they were kind of pissed that they spent money on the other unit. 

If you are a performer, you should have a unit as a backup. 

But, I'd like to correct you... you can absolutely just switch back and forth. 

What would be the harm in making the trade, and then selling the unit that you don't want? 

Believe me, sometimes the best thing you can do when it comes to selling gear is to take a trade that you don't want. I don't know your gear, the area you live in (musically), or the venue that you are trying to sell stuff - but an HD500 will probably move more quickly than "just another used guitar".

Are you all sure about the HD500X having more memory? I thought it was just a faster DSP since they couldn't buy the slower ones anymore. Faster DSP = more horsepower so you can load it up with more stuff before running into the DSP limit. This could be significant if dual-amp tones are used. Looking back at several discussions I see no mention on more memory.

Here's what happened. The chip Line 6 used for the HD500 was discontinued. The chip they replaced it with had more memory. They had no choice. That was the chip they had to replace it with. This created a dilemma.

Keep selling the units with the new chip as the HD500. Then watch the explosion as new owners with the new chip start to talk about how they are able to load more stuff than the other people. Let alone the havoc it would wreak in the trading of patches.

Or they could limit the HD500 so it couldn't use the extra memory.

Or they could do what they chose to do. Give the units with the new replacement chip a different designation. Then every HD500X owner can use the extra memory with out the firestorm it would have created otherwise. There was still some whining but I think Line 6 did exactly what they should have done. They even changed the footswitches to what many consider to be better ones. Why not if you can.

I have used HD500X patches that don't tax the memory on the HD500 and visa versa (I own both. One is a backup) but they don't always like it. If I change a parameter or two and then save it from the unit (not from HD Edit) they then seem to be OK with it.

The HD500X's better footswitches are the win for me, especially if you play live and switch patches or effects a lot, the HD500 ones were always way too flimsy :)

But, with those new footswitches came new problems... 

How many have experienced the "hum" that is in sync with the tempo flash? 

Rim Ram Rom. All this nerd talk is putting me to sleep, purdy soon I am going to experience REM. Or is that because I've had too much Rum. 

Memory. Speed. Speed that frees up memory, Memory that allows more speed. 

Whichever. 

The point is --- 

You can still only use 8 effects at one time

But, with those new footswitches came new problems... 

How many have experienced the "hum" that is in sync with the tempo flash? 

Hmmm can't say I've noticed that at all, in fact I love how quiet this rig is with the L2T!

...which is plenty, let's face it...

I've never had 8 FX going at once in my life...or even a combo of 8 FX, toggled on/off within the same tune. I don't really understand the need or the desire to build patches that complicated. At some point it stops sounding like a guitar.

I've never had 8 FX going at once in my life...or even a combo of 8 FX, toggled on/off within the same tune. I don't really understand the need or the desire to build patches that complicated. At some point it stops sounding like a guitar.

1. You can have 8 FX going and not use every single one at the same time, but have a way to go to two totally different modulations or delays or some such.

2. At some point it stops sounding like a guitar? Yup. Sometimes that's the point. Especially for dual chain setups. Imagine a reverb that sounded like a synth pad. Very useful sometimes.

• Upvote 1

There are other uses besides pure FX. For example, for my ukulele I have a a switchable gain stage (for those screamin' uke solos), a low cut (since a uke has no lows I want to attenuate anything the transducer is putting out down there, which is usually ambient/venue noise the uke soundboard picks up), and then about 4 EQ filters set at various frequencies to cut the natural resonances that tend to feedback. That's 6 FX blocks right there.

But, yes, I guess 8 is enough for me, too.