Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the Helix Rack unit be controlled using a RJM Mastermind GT22

djchaffers

I just bought a RJM Mastermind GT22 Foot Controller to replace my Voodoo Labs Ground Control to control my rack effects and Voodoo Labs GCX Switcher... was about to buy a Fractal Audio Axe-FX ii to reduce the size of my rack and replace most of it's contents but seeing and hearing the Helix stopped me at the moment.. The Helix seems easier to program and basically gives the same performance if not better in some ways from what I can tell.. so my question is I know I can control/program my RJM MAstermind GT22 to operate the Axe-Fx ii , can/will I be able to operate/control the Helix with the Mastermind GT22 or do I have to resort to buying the Line 6 controller board?

You will be able to use it with another controller. You will just still have to jump through the hoops of manually configuring everything (which you would have to do anyway with an Axe FX right?).

The Helix controller is a much better experience though, it contributes a lot to the ease of programming.

I just bought a RJM Mastermind GT22 Foot Controller to replace my Voodoo Labs Ground Control to control my rack effects and Voodoo Labs GCX Switcher... was about to buy a Fractal Audio Axe-FX ii to reduce the size of my rack and replace most of it's contents but seeing and hearing the Helix stopped me at the moment.. The Helix seems easier to program and basically gives the same performance if not better in some ways from what I can tell.. so my question is I know I can control/program my RJM MAstermind GT22 to operate the Axe-Fx ii , can/will I be able to operate/control the Helix with the Mastermind GT22 or do I have to resort to buying the Line 6 controller board?

You don't want to do this. If you are using a floor controller, only Helix Control will do.

Aw PeterHamm, such a Debbie Downer ;)

I almost bought the RJM GT22 before purchasing Helix Floor version, so I had done a bit of study on it.  I followed the development updates of that product for months drooling the whole time, and then Helix came out.

After taking a glance at the Helix Manual MIDI in pages 48 & 49 (attached), I think the RJM would make a fine controller for Helix, and it looks like it might even be a better live controller and pedal board solution than the Helix floorboard. I don't think you have to jump through a "bunch" of hoops, or any hoops on the Helix side.  It looks like it's mostly/all setup on the RJM side, which is what it excels at.  You can always buy the $399 Helix foot controller later if the RJM doesn't do everything you need and more.

The Line 6 team put some serious MIDI-love into Helix:

• Helix patches are already on MIDI Program Change (PC) 0-127, so PC is easy.
  • 11 out 12 of the Helix footswitches for stomp mode, save FS6 the Helix footswtich Mode switch, are pre-assigned to MIDI CC's.  
  • Expression 1, 2, & 3 are pre-assigned to MIDI CC's, the RJM has 4 Expression pedal jacks (Exp 1-4) like the Helix floorboard (Exp 1-3 + Exp Toe).  
  • Helix Toe switch can be assigned to MIDI.  The Mission SP1-RJM expression has a toe switch and two out puts, so I bet one output could be connected to the RJM Expression 4, which could be assigned to the toe switch MIDI CC.
  • Helix looper controls are pre-assigned to MIDI CC's for instant access.
  • Helix 8 Banks are each pre-assigned to MIDI CC 0-7 for instant access
  • Helix 8 Setlists are each pre-assigned to MIDI CC 0-7 for instant access
  • The RJM has 4 external switches (2 TRS jacks) where Helix has 2 external switches (1 TRS jack)
  • The RJM has 9V power out for other pedals.

Since the RJM has 22 footswitches that can be assigned, you could probably configure layouts that you cant with the Helix controller, like have 2x the presets available on a layout at a time, a mix of presets and stomp mode footswitches, instant access to specific Banks or Setlists, looper controls right in front of you along with presets, stomps, etc.

Of course you dont have the capacitive touch functionality and editing functionality that comes with Helix floorboard, like footswitch location swapping, foot edit mode, touch edit, etc.  The Helix computer editor is here now, so the capacitive touch editing capability of the Helix foot units is not so much of a need-to-have anymore.    It doesn't look like you will have the foot edit mode ability over MIDI/RJM like you would with the Helix floorboard.

But the RJM GT22 comes with it's own benefits, like really flexible footswitch assignments and customization and dedicated PC editor specially developed for doing this and saving configurations.

The RJM scribble strips are bigger and color-lit/coded.  It looks like you can load a bigger font, although I do like the Helix colored rings now, and the Helix scribble strips have a nice contrast.

RJM is a great company with high quality products and great support.  I personally own an Amp Gizmo and RG-16.  I definitely would not regret the purchase.

So dang, after researching and writing all of this out, I see that I wouldn't have been heartbroken if I had purchased the RJM GT22, then later Helix Rack myself   ;)

Helix MIDI.pdf

Thanks Roscoe5,, you were very informant.. hearing what you said has made me more at ease... afterall the RJM Mastermind GT22 is the best controller I have ever seen or used.. it does so much.. guess that why Petrucci and a few other switched over to it.. besides it cost a small fortune, but was worth it.. I took my time deciding on it as well doing a lot of research on the Mastermind ...  I am now guessing I am going to go with the Helix Rack instead of the FA Axe-FXii (which is a great piece of gear but very expensive).. I am thinking the Helix with the Mastermind GT22 controller is going to be like almost the ultimate setup (well until the next wave of gear is released, lol)

I've looked at this too, GREAT controller, really pretty much the best. Turns use (not setup) of pretty much any rack gear into a Helix-like experience, with more footswitches.

Pretty gosh darn expensive though, and you still need whatever you want to use to actually process audio.

Seems like it'd be a little redundant or unnecessary with a Helix, but not entirely.

If the center of your system is a Helix, then maybe I would try to find a floor controller that integrates perfectly with it, even having scribble strips and lit-up LEDs that don't have to be programmed in some time consuming process, and-- wait just a minute... I KNOW WHERE YOU CAN GET ONE LIKE THAT!

Sorry, not to be snarky, but after using Helix Rack with Control, I wouldn't use it any other way. If you can't afford control, then buy the floor unit instead of the rack, imho. And if you are really going to spend that much money on a controller JUST for Helix and maybe a few pedals in the loops, then you live in a different planet from me.