Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

what do you think this noise means?

willjrock

Still learning my way around the Helix and while doing so, this noise began to infiltrate my recordings as i was using USB 3 to send a "dry di" back for reamping. 

In this case i wasnt using the Helix in a controlled environment. Quite the opposite infact. I was using it as an interface, on a computer, that isnt much good for anything other than net surfing....among other imperfections that i would normally never allow in a working environment. I have however used other set-ups in this same scenario without any problem, so im 99.9% sure this noise is coming from and being generated by the Helix.

Im also pretty sure its nothing in my surroundings like guitar pickups picking up the computer hard drive, or an uninterruptible power supply, or whatever.....Again, ive used other set-ups in this "bedroom" level environment without any similar issue. 

The thing here for me is t5hat ive never heard anything reminiscent of whats going on here, and im not totally aware of whats going on inside the helix that may be causing or contributing to the issue.

So without any further a-do. ive attached the file. Does this sound familiar to anyone, or have you any ideas, or even guesses as to what it is?

As always, thanks for any time spent.

helix noise.mp3

Really sounds like hard drive noise from computer. I have a similar sound when i have my laptop connected via usb, and too close to helix.

Thanks dude. I guess i can try to back the unit off a little more. Its sitting further away than any of the other interfaces ive had here. I wonder if  the Helix might be more susceptible to picking up noise than some of the other equipment?? I havent run into anyone mentioning this type of noise though..

Thing is, ive got the USB cable stretched about 70% its max and the hard drive isnt abnormally loud. That really should be far enough....unless its finding its way back up the USB connection. No too big a deal... until im ready to move on from the "learning how to use it" phase to the "wanting to use it" phase.

Without actually listening your file, I'd say that the instrument needs to be farther away from the computer, not so much Helix.

Have you experimented with the ground lift switch on Helix?

Well it was happening while trying to reamp, so although raise a great point, the guitar just wasnt part of the equation here....and the ground lift, no i havent, but im not sure it would be of use in this situation. It def will get its use though. Appreciate your response.

Sounds like a telephone ringing to me - not directly obviously, but rather the interference from a telephone ringing.  

Not that but good thinking..Definitely something to consider.  Ive seen some of the strangest stuff. Things you would not think possible

Cell phone too close to your speakers/power amp? Aliens trying to hack your Helix to steal patches? I dunno?

ha!

Well it was happening while trying to reamp, so although raise a great point, the guitar just wasnt part of the equation here....and the ground lift, no i havent, but im not sure it would be of use in this situation. It def will get its use though. Appreciate your response.

Not that but good thinking..Definitely something to consider.  Ive seen some of the strangest stuff. Things you would not think possible

ha!

Listened...

Definitely interesting stuff there.