Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using mic input as additional instrument input

mykejb

Is there any reason the mic input can't be used as an additional input from an instrument?

I want to run a GR-20, VG-99 and guitar into the Helix, and if I can do it while leaving the four send/return inputs available that'd be ideal.

I was thinking about using an XLR pad with phantom passthru like the Shure A15AS to drop the signal level if necessary.

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work but thought I'd ask in case anyone has tried it and found it doesn't work too well

Mike

• Upvote 1

...as long as you get a close impedance match you should be fine. An electric guitar is about 1M or so, and a microphone around 3k or so. Any decent DI/direct box should do the trick. The phantom power on the XLR input can be turned off in the global settings.

• Upvote 1

Is there any reason the mic input can't be used as an additional input from an instrument?

I want to run a GR-20, VG-99 and guitar into the Helix, and if I can do it while leaving the four send/return inputs available that'd be ideal.

I was thinking about using an XLR pad with phantom passthru like the Shure A15AS to drop the signal level if necessary.

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work but thought I'd ask in case anyone has tried it and found it doesn't work too well

Mike

...as long as you get a close impedance match you should be fine. An electric guitar is about 1M or so, and a microphone around 3k or so. Any decent DI/direct box should do the trick. The phantom power on the XLR input can be turned off in the global settings.

Great idea for those who need an additional instrument input!

I have a question about this.

I'm planning on getting the line 6 relay G10 wireless guitar interface. I noticed that it has 2 outputs. One is standard 1/4" the other looks like xlr.

Could I connect the xlr output from the relay G10 directly to the helix mic input? Would I need to change any settings with doing this?

Thanks.

I'm using this DI-Box for pluging my Acoustic Guitar into the Mic Input of the Helix.

Sounds amazing

http://www.thomann.de/at/radial_engineering_sb_1.htm?ref=search_rslt_radial+sb-1_301885_0

Great to know this is working well with a DI-Box from an actual user, thanks. I use the Aux input for my acoustic guitar 1/4 output acoustic-electric but this is certainly a viable alternative. I see it as being potentially useful for plugging in a keyboard, mandolin, another electric guitar, or really any third instrument, particularly an instrument that requires or benefits from an XLR input. Some "studio" guitars have XLR outputs to keep the noise floor down to the absolute minimum. Of course, you also have the four returns in addition to the "Guitar" and "Aux" input, so there are no shortage of inputs on the Helix but this is the only XLR input, good to know it can be used for more than a mike where needed.

Not sure why I of all people didn't notice this (I'm a founder of OvationFanClub.com).   Ovation and Adamas (and maybe even Takamine)  guitars have XLR output and can be phantom powered.   For Acoustic, Helix just eliminated batteries an extra cable and DI for me.    Too cool.  

• 8 months later...

<Snip>I'm planning on getting the line 6 relay G10 wireless guitar interface. I noticed that it has 2 outputs. One is standard 1/4" the other looks like xlr.

Could I connect the xlr output from the relay G10 directly to the helix mic input? Would I need to change any settings with doing this?

Thanks.

Now that the G10 has been out for well over 6 months, has anyone used their G10 Receiver Base's XLR Out to connect (an additional guitar) to their Helix via the Helix's XLR Mic Input? Of course, Helix's Global Settings > I/O > 48V Phantom Power must be "OFF"!

The G10's XLR Out is (most) likely Line Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I have not measured the XLR Output's signal level.

The Helix Mic In XLR is set up for Mic Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I'm guessing the input expects -60db to -40db. With the Helix Global Settings > I/O > Mic Gain set to 0dB.

I have not used any Mic's nor the Mic Input Block with my Helix. And I have not yet looked to see if the Mic parameters allow significant Input Level attenuation. A Gain Block and Compressor Block may be able to attenuate their output levels, but may be useless if the Mic Input Block is overloaded or clipping.

Now that the G10 has been out for well over 6 months, has anyone used their G10 Receiver Base's XLR Out to connect (an additional guitar) to their Helix via the Helix's XLR Mic Input? Of course, Helix's Global Settings > I/O > 48V Phantom Power must be "OFF"!

The G10's XLR Out is (most) likely Line Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I have not measured the XLR Output's signal level.

The Helix Mic In XLR is set up for Mic Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I'm guessing the input expects -60db to -40db. With the Helix Global Settings > I/O > Mic Gain set to 0dB.

I have not used any Mic's nor the Mic Input Block with my Helix. And I have not yet looked to see if the Mic parameters allow significant Input Level attenuation. A Gain Block and Compressor Block may be able to attenuate their output levels, but may be useless if the Mic Input Block is overloaded or clipping.

I have a G10. I'll give that a try when I get back home next week. 

Thanks, look forward to you findings. I know phil_m also used a G10 with his Helix. Perhaps we can all give it a try and compare notes. I'll try to give it a try later today or this weekend and post results.

As this thread had fallen dormant back in April 2016, I started a new set of threads more aptly entitled: "Line 6 G10 XLR Out to HELIX XLR Mic In?" These are in the Relay Wireless and Helix Forums to expose it to both product user groups. See: http://line6.com/support/topic/24982-line-6-g10-xlr-out-to-helix-xlr-mic-in/ and http://line6.com/support/topic/24981-g10-xlr-out-to-helix-xlr-mic-in/?p=191199

I'll be posting my further responses there....