Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

come on line 6 give us frequent updates with new fx and amp/cab sims

fastnloud

This, I agree the bugs, performance should be the high priority. Function over features & choices. (especially since the Helix already has plenty of both)  Some people are having a hard time with the Helix not doing something that they bought it for, and it is not their fault at all.  For instance the Mac El Capitan -spelling-  issue.  Foot switch, and scribble strip bugs.  These things happen on first launching a new high profile product. 

Don't get me wrong though, as a soon to be Helix owner I most definitely want more choices/features added.  Do I have some arbitrary time frame for them to adhere to? No, but if they haven't updated/or announced anything in a year and a half, 2 years (as an example) then I would consider them to have abandoned it. 

Free, or not... Well they are arguments for both.. Both can be rather fleshed out as well, and both can make some very valid points. 

I am sort of on the fence as a result. 

This probably best represents where I am. As a new HELIX owner, and frankly a new comer to the Wonderful World of IR I'm still working my way around the learning curve.

I'm as interested in the next guy in more patch choices. cabs/ options etc. But the truth is I haven't begun to exploit all of the options the L6H has right now. I'm about the music, specifically from a recording point of view[ my company provides music score for tv/ film/ video games since '95]. I imagine I'll be finding uses for many of the existing patches/ sounds/ cabs and their dialable parameters for a bit. But increased stability and reliability ? Yes please.

I don't get most of this thread. I just got my Helix last week. I've updated to 1.06 got 3 new amps, bug fixes, stability problems fixed. etc. I've been using a Kemper for 2 years, and although it sounds great, in 10 minutes, I created a clean patch on my Helix as good as any profile I have on the Kemper. I've always disliked screwing around with the USB stick on the KPA whenever I had to do anything. What I like about the Helix is it's fun to navigate the best UI on the market, and the sounds are IMO great. It can only get better.

• Upvote 1

I don't get most of this thread. I just got my Helix last week. I've updated to 1.06 got 3 new amps, bug fixes, stability problems fixed. etc. I've been using a Kemper for 2 years, and although it sounds great, in 10 minutes, I created a clean patch on my Helix as good as any profile I have on the Kemper. I've always disliked screwing around with the USB stick on the KPA whenever I had to do anything. What I like about the Helix is it's fun to navigate the best UI on the market, and the sounds are IMO great. It can only get better.

Yeah, along with 9 effects! It ha been stated multiple times by Line 6 that new stuff will come. Wait a month and see. Until then, let's make some music!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm looking at picking up a Helix... but I can't seem to get any answers to what is coming, and how many different amps this device can hold?

As far as I know it's got 48 amps, most are of no use to me personally.

I'd love to get a Suhr Custom Audio OD-100 Classic Plus, Friedman Brown Eye 100, and how about a Rockman!

Does anyone know many amps can this hold? 50? 100? 1000s? Or can you delete amps you don't use to make room?

Are outside companies going to be making amp packs, or just Line 6?

I'm a little concerned as I bought a M-13 and the last update was 5 years ago, and it's still a current product... and the Phase 90, the most important to me, was always weak (IMHO).

No I don't think you can delete amps per say, but You can pick which ones to use, and then change them to another iirc. Watch the YouTube videos as this was the best source of info before I bought one.

Well I'm looking at picking up a Helix... but I can't seem to get any answers to what is coming, and how many different amps this device can hold?

I'd love to get a Suhr Custom Audio OD-100 Classic Plus, Friedman Brown Eye 100, and how about a Rockman!

Does anyone know many amps can this hold? 50? 100? 1000s? Or can you delete amps you don't use to make room?

I'm a little concerned as I bought a M-13 and the last update was 5 years ago, and it's still a current product... and the Phase 90, the most important to me, was always weak (IMHO).

You won't get any answers on any of this stuff because it is commercial information which Line 6 are not going to divulge.  They've said that more stuff is coming but they haven't said what or when.  You'll only find out when whatever it is gets released.  I would never buy anything on the promise of jam tomorrow, if you don't like what's in it now then don't buy it now.

If you MUST have those amps, then it's the wrong product for you.

It's not like the Kemper where you can download new amps (maybe that's the way you should go). It's more like the Fractal in that you have to wait for the company to make the amp for it.

That said, I would bet some of those amps that are "no use to you" might get the tones you are looking for.

You won't get any answers on any of this stuff because it is commercial information which Line 6 are not going to divulge.  They've said that more stuff is coming but they haven't said what or when.  You'll only find out when whatever it is gets released.  I would never buy anything on the promise of jam tomorrow, if you don't like what's in it now then don't buy it now.

^^^ This. End of story.

Here's what we DO know, btw... Frank has posted that pic of the "Amp Modeling in Progress" sign on the door at L6 a number of times since the last new amps (Matchless) appeared.

So... there's SOMETHING in the pipeline. What and when? We don't know. And I can tell you that we beta guys don't find out much before you all do. We had the Matchless only a few days before y'all (and now it's practically the only amp I use anymore...)

Is the matchless good for clean stuff? Any particular settings you can share?

Matchless is, to me, great for everything from really clean to really gain-ey. I use Ch 1 or Jump mostly (Jump gets from totally clean ch 1 to full on gain ch 2 and both at the same time.)

https://pietrosquared.wordpress.com/helix-2-voice-guitar/

The third video down. There are links in the article to patches. That patch has a signal chain for acoustic guitar (at the same time) you can either delete or just ignore.

Hey thanks so much for this. I'll try it out tonight. Maybe your acoustic preset will work well with the Variax acoustics as well...? Do you use different presets for clean and crunch etc or do you control everything from within one preset? Thanks!

Hey thanks so much for this. I'll try it out tonight. Maybe your acoustic preset will work well with the Variax acoustics as well...? Do you use different presets for clean and crunch etc or do you control everything from within one preset? Thanks!

everything in one preset. One I just made that I will probably use a LOT gives me... acoustic, with or without 2 different delays... and electric where I can go clean, crunch (change amp and delay parameters), more crunch (Timmy), and add delay (which is less prominent when I go crunch). AND I have another signal chain with my Mel9 in it if I want to add some synth-ey goodness... AND I have a footswitch that makes the electric signal full wet on particle verb (and some octo) so that I can have a HUGE synth, either behind the acoustic or by itself.

Maybe your acoustic preset will work well with the Variax acoustics as well...?

Dial back the IR or eliminate it with Variax acoustics. A bunch of guys have found that those models don't need and might sound worse with acoustic IRs.