Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Have I mentioned lately how much I'm loving the new Editor?

lrschmid

FWIW, part of what attracted me to the Helix was that I didn't want to need a computer, and the UI on it is generally considered quite functional. Outside of having a keyboard for typing names, what does the editor do so much better than Helix itself?

FWIW, part of what attracted me to the Helix was that I didn't want to need a computer, and the UI on it is generally considered quite functional. Outside of having a keyboard for typing names, what does the editor do so much better than Helix itself?

It's much easier to rearrange blocks and it's easier to change a block. It's also easier to change parameters with the sliders or typing in a value.

The most notable for me is the lack of a lasting physical pain from use.

Any thing different is always frowned on, at first. They said IIRC about the same things in the beginning on airplanes. Why if man were supposed to fly he would have been born with wings they said! Just imagine if we had listened to them ; )

• Upvote 1

On top of what the others said, the editor also allows you to skip steps that the hardware wouldnt allow. For instance you could go from preset 1A to 11C in a single click.....just one of a few things off the top of my head.

It's much easier to rearrange blocks and it's easier to change a block. It's also easier to change parameters with the sliders or typing in a value.

This is what I've been enjoying, along with the visuals of everything.  I don't mind using the knobs and controls on the board to make little tweaks during a rehearsal or anything else, but the editor makes it all just a little bit easier.

Although I agree the Helix has a fantastic interface for the most part here are just a few of the things the editor can offer off the top of my head, both current and in the future. Many of these have already been mentioned by others:

• Much faster and easier to use a keyboard to name patches and scribble strips.
  • Potential ability to save and copy individual blocks, effects and your custom settings as templates, or even whole paths as templates, all without using a preset slot. These could all be saved offline. In effect, your computer offers almost unlimited storage for things you would not want to take up valuable Helix memory.
  • Scenes, scenes, scenes!!! Even if scenes prove to be too much labor and too confusing for the Helix's physical interface they could possibly be simple to implement in the editor. This would be a huge win!
  • No aching back as stated before for those who want to do major modifications to their presets, especially for those who use the Helix primarily in a home studio.
  • Provides the ability to use a remote screen grabber like Snagit to use an android, iPad, or Windows tablet to control and make changes to the Helix from eye level while practicing or live.
  • Making changes to many presets at once, although it can't be done globally is still much faster with the editor if for example you discover an EQ change, effect setting, or addition you want to add to all or many of your presets.
  • Potential to back up all global settings as well as global EQ and have different scenarios available to load for different venues and hardware setups.
  • Faster to see what is in each block in a preset although this could still be improved by having the effect for instance show up in the editor when you hover over it (Duncann's suggestion) or just display what each block is in the master section of the screen.
  • Save wear and tear on the footswitches, knobs, and buttons or even provide access to one that has failed. This could potentially add years of life to your Helix and save L6 a boatload of money on warranty repairs.
  • Ability to see all the parameters for a block on one page where you might have to page multiple times on the Helix interface. This also enables you to better visualize and quickly adjust multiple parameters that may be highly interactive such as the amp and cab parameters or effects with multiple pages.
  • Much faster to jump to presets that are spread far apart from each other or are in a different setlist.
  • Ability to quickly see all the presets in a user list and get a better sense of a setlist's layout for live operation.
  • The potential to enhance the Helix looper with saving of your loops and more complex looper operation.
  • There are probably dozens more I have not thought of, the editor is a beautiful thing with some magnificent potential!

Any thing different is always frowned on, at first. They said IIRC about the same things in the beginning on airplanes. Why if man were supposed to fly he would have been born with wings they said! Just imagine if we had listened to them ; )

Too true!

I use that argument a lot when telling people about new socio-economic, and technological possibilities when they (who are typically ignorant of our current state of technology or socio-economics) love to say "that couldn't possibly happen."

That is exactly what the Wright brothers were told. 

Also kind of goes with a quote from Henry Ford. "If I would of asked the people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

• Upvote 1

I haven't tried the editor yet, and I am sort of trying not to because I want to get used to doing things on the board itself for gig situations. My biggest gripe of the HD series was it was painful to do stuff on the device itself so I always went with the editor. 

I could be at one of 5 different types of gigs and I want to be comfortable doing stuff on the device even if it takes a couple extra steps. 

But at the same time it would be easier for mass edits like copying a bunch of patches, rearranging, etc in the editor. 

Potential to back up all global settings as well as global EQ and have different scenarios available to load for different venues and hardware setups.

Great news! I asked in the Helix 101 thread if you could back up global settings, and was told no. Glad to learn that you can, but only from the editor, not from Helix itself (as of now anyway).