Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 101 - Is there such a thing, and do I need it?

zooey

Helix is coming tomorrow. I'd hoped to read the manual before it arrived, but didn't get a chance. Everyone says it's easy to understand, but I'm wondering if there's some quick intro that would get me up to speed more quickly in my limited time.

Is there some core resource I should inhale? Do I need to worry about that at all, or should I Just Do It?

• Upvote 1

There is a manual but I didn't use it for much. The actual interface on the Helix is easy and fast. Maybe the only tricky thing is splitting the lane but it is as easy as selecting a block and moving it down to create a new lane. I think that is the maybe the only thing I looked up.

• Upvote 1

If you are going to integrate it with amplitube, you might want to wrap your head around the 8 channels of USB in/outs and how to set them. Maybe take a moment to understand how Helix presets anr organized in 8 setlists folders and how to change the 1A to 32D type preset numbering to MIDI 0-127 preset numbering to correspond with Amplitube (if desired).

Might also want to become familiar with the Command Center and MIDI CC if you want to control more than presets in Amplitube.

The MIDI implementation and integration with both Helix and Amplitube is fairly intuitive when you have both in front of you. The computer editor REALLY helps with software/Helix workflows.

Ctrl + F for searching the Helix manual is my friend :)

But to answer your question...just do it! No substitute for just getting your hands and ears into it.

Thanks folks. Onward it is then, more or less, with the Cheat Sheet and this page in hand maybe :)

Re Amplitube, for now I'm going with the theory that I'm using Helix instead, making making some IRs from it down the road. I really do like it though, hope Helix can feel as good. We'll see!

Helix is coming tomorrow. I'd hoped to read the manual before it arrived, but didn't get a chance. Everyone says it's easy to understand, but I'm wondering if there's some quick intro that would get me up to speed more quickly in my limited time.

Is there some core resource I should inhale? Do I need to worry about that at all, or should I Just Do It?

You can probably read the whole manual in 10 minutes. Between that and running thru the presets. i dont think you'll be sweating much.

• Upvote 1

One specific set of things I'm concerned about, which I'm not sure is well documented in the manual, is the process of backing up your data before updating the firmware, and restoring it after. Obviously that doesn't matter when it first arrives, since there's nothing in there but factory stuff, but right after that I won't want to lose my settings.

I *think* I've heard that...

- Presets and global settings need to be backed up and restored separately.

- IRs can't exactly be backed up, in the sense that you can save a package that restores them to the exact state they were in in one step. You have to back them up and/or import them one at a time, taking care to put them in the same locations they came from. Not sure if you can actually back them up, or if you just need to keep track of what you last loaded into Helix on your own, and do it again after updating. Not really clear on any of this.

Other questions:
- Is there anything else that needs separate backup and restore besides presets, global settings, and IRs?

- Do all these types of info always get erased by firmware updates?

- Can all types of backup and restore be done from both Helix itself and the Helix software?

- Do you back up to a computer connected to Helix, to USB drive attached Helix itself, or are both possible?

If someone could please either point me to complete and accurate step-by-step info on all this, or explain it here, I'd appreciate it.

I checked the Helix Help site, didn't see it there, which would probably be a good addition.

Didn't try to dig through the (huge!) FAQ thread, only have 30 days to decide if I'm keeping it ;)

Thanks.

In the Knowledge Base section of this website (under the Support tab above) you will find a FAQ area. Filter for the Helix FAQ. Your questions are answered there.

Hmmm, guess I'm thick then, not the first time.

- The 'How to update the Helix's firmware' topic doesn't mention backing up or restoring your data at all. Neither does 'HELIX Support FAQ', 'Helix Reset Procedures and Troubleshooting Tricks', or the tutorial videos.

- The 'Impulse Response (IRs)' topic doesn't mention backing them up or restoring them per se, just loading them. That may be all there is to know, but I'd like to know for certain if you can a ) save what's currently in your Helix, and/or b ) save or load all of them at once.

- Didn't see any other topics that looked relevant.

- Searched that category for 'backup' (no hits) and 'back up' ('Reset' and 'Looper' topics only), no luck.

Help?

To backup your presets and IRs you need to use the Helix device connected to your computer with the librarian/editor app running. You can backup individual presets and setlists, or the entire 'bundle' of presets. You can not back up your Global Settings.

Updating the firmware does only that. It does not overwrite your presets. It is always wise to back up presets in advance. You can choose whether or not to restore the Helix to the factory presets after updating. Doing that ensures that you always have the latest factory presets.

You are already aware that backing up IRs does not keep track of their location, which is important. I tend to rename them to include the location number as a prefix to the name.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not the firmware update itself overwrites the global settings, but restoring them to the factory defaults is always the first thing recommended after installing the firmware. I've always done it so don't know what the result is if you don't do it. Then I manually reset them to my preferences. I've never felt the need to write them down.

Thanks SH, appreciate it :) Guess it's my programmer background that wants to make sure I know how to get back to the priro state when you do some sort of global reset-like thing.

- Does backing up or restoring all presets back up setlists too, or are those separate operations?

- Does backing up or restoring "the entire 'bundle' of presets" back up both user and factory stuff, or just user data? Can you save and restore only user data, or does it always include factory too?

- Can you back up your user IRs, or just keep track of them yourself and reload? Can you do multiple IRs at once, or only one at a time?

Thanks again.

- backing up presets and setlists are separate operations

- a bundle includes all 8 setlists, whether factory or user data, for both backup and restore purposes. You can't restore only part of a bundle.

- you can backup IRs, but since you had to import them in the first place you already have them as individual files on your computer hence there should be no need to back them up. Not sure about multiple export/imports at once.

Not that anyone cares but me, but Helix has landed! Can't actually do anything with it until I get home from work, but it's here. Woohoo, down the rabbit hole!

Oh, we care alright.

"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Regarding your question about multiple IRs at once. Well, I have managed to "drag and drop" a whole bunch or IRs - no problem - although it can take a little while, if it's converting the sample rate (don't worry about that just yet!). As long as you "drop" into an available/open slot in the Helix librarian app it will be just fine, but note if anything is already in there it will be replaced (overwritten). Same thing applies if you have a stack of patches downloaded from customtone or whatever. For instance, "drag and drop" 10 tones to one of the User banks and as long there are 10 open spaces after where you release your mouse everything will transfer in sequence. Try it – you have nothing in there anyhow – this thing is box fresh! You'll soon get the hang of it.

New to Helix – If you haven't already done so, you could do worse to then check out Paul (TheZombie1976) Glover's YouTube vids, starting here:

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

New Helix Day! I would have been very tempted to find some reason to not be at work :)

After you check out the factory presets, and download some (free) Customtone patches - (lots of decent tones there!) - if you care to splurge some $$, check out the commercial patches by Glenn DeLaune.. Good stuff, lots of good very 'immediately useful' patches in his bundles. He did those all 'pre editor release', so for me they were extra valuable -  I am among those with some lower back and neck issues - so I can't sit on the floor in front of Helix to edit, and I can't sit in a chair and lean over the thing either. I can edit it from a desktop position, but I can't play it that way. 

I think he just grouped together an 'everything so far' bundle, includes all the artists presets, and everything he's done thus far. I bought them all as they were released, and I am still working my way through them all to get ideas of how to build my own.

But with the editor out now, you are getting on board at a good time! Way easier to have Helix on the floor and editor on the computer screen. Good times, welcome, cheers, and have fun! What kind of speakers / amp are you looking at using with it?

New Helix Day! I would have been very tempted to find some reason to not be at work :)

After you check out the factory presets, and download some (free) Customtone patches - (lots of decent tones there!) - if you care to splurge some $$, check out the commercial patches by Glenn DeLaune.. Good stuff, lots of good very 'immediately useful' patches in his bundles. He did those all 'pre editor release', so for me they were extra valuable -  I am among those with some lower back and neck issues - so I can't sit on the floor in front of Helix to edit, and I can't sit in a chair and lean over the thing either. I can edit it from a desktop position, but I can't play it that way. 

I think he just grouped together an 'everything so far' bundle, includes all the artists presets, and everything he's done thus far. I bought them all as they were released, and I am still working my way through them all to get ideas of how to build my own.

But with the editor out now, you are getting on board at a good time! Way easier to have Helix on the floor and editor on the computer screen. Good times, welcome, cheers, and have fun! What kind of speakers / amp are you looking at using with it?

Too right, Colonel, he will need to take at least a day, because he'll be suffering with the "Helix fever". That's when you get the chills every time you plug the thing in!

Also, got to say that I invested in a Glenn DeLaune Custom Artist bundle - very cool.

Although, I must add that I also have some great stuff from Scott on the Helix Channel on YouTube. For medical reasons – he's given up the day job and is now just doing the Helix stuff. He could use the support and it's excellent stuff for only a dollar a tone. Plus he throws in a "freebie patch" every Friday. COOOOOOL!

Check him here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJrfCxQmio6zyjut4n0qRw

Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome and the steers Colonel :) Couldn't duck work, under a lot of pressure there. I have a while to decide if it's for me...

I'm aware of Glen's stuff, and I'm sure it's great, but for now I'm a do-it-yourselfer, as usual for me.

My back's not really great or really screwed so far (crosses fingers, toes, other handy appendages, knocks head and other wooden objects). For now the plan when I'm in the "studio" is to put it on a waist-high rolling cart thing full of Stuff that's down there, and not footswitch it, at least mostly, at least while I'm fiddling with patches. But since I never really stop doing that...

Not totally clear on the living room plan yet. I actually play there a lot these days, sitting on the couch, with my laptop on a kind of coffee-table in front of me. Problem #1 is that I don't think Helix and laptop will fit there, certainly not with the other crap I should get rid of that's there now, maybe without it, maybe. Problem #2 is that I'd like to be further away from my computer; even humbuckers pick up some interference hash from it, and I'd like to know what's inherent in my guitar and Helix vs a close-by laptop that won't be there really.

(And yes I aware of the danger of building patches in headphones, can't be helped for now, we'll see how it goes. I never took my Amplitube patches out of the house, so I never had to fully come to grips with that.)

Re speakers for when I do eventually get out, I picked up a pair of Alesis Alpha 112s on ebay a while ago, pretty decent I think, and what I "could afford". (How those words can come out of my mouth at all, on this of all days, mystifies me completely...) I don't have a lot of experience with them, but they're pretty well respected, especially for the money, and pretty high power, so again we'll see how that goes. If I really can't figure out how to live in both phones and speakers, I guess I'd have to give up messing about on the couch, but that'd be a shame. Hoping to get some strategy together that's close enough to that it can be adjusted reasonably easily for a given room, which I'd probably want to do anyway.

What do you use? Are you using Helix professionally? (I gigged as a musician and sound guy for many years, haven't for a long time though.)

Ha! It seems that a lot of Helix users decided to opt for the floorboard incarnation of Helix and then they have to figure a way to have the thing float somewhere at around waist height and not take up any desk/tabletop space. Maybe we should request a "virtual jet pack" in the next Firmware upgrade just to make it hover in space. ;)

Meantime, as a fellow sufferer with the "glass back" syndrome – far too many years lugging gear in and out of clubs with bad access, (ever tried hoisting a Hammond B3 up three flights of stairs!) – my solution has been to place the Helix on a snare drum stand. It's not elegant, but it's cheap and works a treat for me - give it a go!

ever tried hoisting a Hammond B3 up three flights of stairs!

Yes! Icy metal stairs on the outside of a club! With that ever-so-lovely eau-de-dumpster-liquid scent wafting by! Good times!

Ha! It seems that a lot of Helix users decided to opt for the floorboard incarnation of Helix and then they have to figure a way to have the thing float somewhere at around waist height and not take up any desk/tabletop space. Maybe we should request a "virtual jet pack" in the next Firmware upgrade just to make it hover in space. ;)

Just to point out, racks don't generally hover in space either. In the studio, racks are usually tipped up a bit, to point at someone sitting in a chair, but live racks are more commonly just stacked on each other and/or cabs, not tilted, and the people are higher, since they're standing up. Upshot seems like you'd want your Helix Rack almost at face height for optimal visibility. I don't want to carry something to make that happen, or have my rig be that big a deal on stage. You could put it on the floor, tipped up at you, but then you might as well save some money and get the floor version.

What's cool about the floor version around waist height is that you're looking down on it, so you're seeing it pretty much face on.

I know that's an oversimplification, but it still seems like the rack version doesn't automatically provide a zero-leaning-over solution either.