Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Amplifi 150 to a Cabinet

blasphemier

Is it possible to connect to connect the Amplifi 150 to a cabinet? Obviously just using the headphone out will overload the hardware but is there a work around for this? Like connected the amp to a small powered mixer then to a cabinet or something like that? Would like to basically use it as a head as the 1x12 doesn't seem to do the job I'm looking for.

Is it possible to connect to connect the Amplifi 150 to a cabinet? Obviously just using the headphone out will overload the hardware but is there a work around for this? Like connected the amp to a small powered mixer then to a cabinet or something like that? Would like to basically use it as a head as the 1x12 doesn't seem to do the job I'm looking for.

Hey just had a great experience hooking up my Amplifi 75 headphones jack to the power amp jack of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!! Incredible! Very loud clean and powerful! You have all the parameter settings on the remote ap available but it sounds like a real amp! I did select "No Cab" for most of the amp settings in my preset patches which cut out a lot of the tinny sound and adjusted the EQ settings to cut treble a bit. So cool!!

Jim

Thanks Jim! So if I understand that correctly the Amplifi is acting as a pre amp to the Fender? Could this be done with any other head/combo? I love the tone I get from the Amplifi but at high volumes I've found the single speaker just has to much high end cutting through.

It can be done with powered speaker FRFR cabs as well as long as it has that 1/4 in Jack. I cut out those tinny highs by selecting "no cab" on the remote ap of the Amplifi. I find the 12" fender speaker has better balance for volume and tone than the cab selections in the Amplifi. It was just an experiment. I'd never play a live gig with that setup. Just use my Fender HRD and an M9 pedal!

Jim

Just get a TRS male to TS female splitter and run L & R stereo out...if you just go from the headphone out (stereo) to amp return or input, (mono) etc. you're losing half the signal...

Can you be more specific about the "TRS to TS" connections and splitter? What are they and where can you get them? Where do they plug into on the Amplifi and how!? Thx!

Jim

Can you be more specific about the "TRS to TS" connections and splitter? What are they and where can you get them? Where do they plug into on the Amplifi and how!? Thx!

Jim

Sure, search on "Live Wire TRS(M)-Dual 1/4"(F) Y Cable".  It essentially splits the stereo out of the headphone out into two mono outs.  Get a male 1/4" TRS to 2 female TS y cable...you'll need two amps or something with left/right inputs...  they have different sizes, ends and lengths, I just found the Live Wire example, other cable makers make them too...

Something like this...

s-l1000.jpg

Sure, search on "Live Wire TRS(M)-Dual 1/4"(F) Y Cable". It essentially splits the stereo out of the headphone out into two mono outs. Get a male 1/4" TRS to 2 female TS y cable...you'll need two amps or something with left/right inputs... they have different sizes, ends and lengths, I just found the Live Wire example, other cable makers make them too...

Something like this...

s-l1000.jpg

Thanks. I'm getting that you need to split the stereo headphones Jack signal. But why not get something that splits to two male 1/4 in jacks? Also. You mentioned having to go to two different amps. Is that so you can maximize the stereo signal? Much appreciated. I just have one standard Fender HRD I'm plugging into. I have no intention of using this as a gig set up. Just practice.

Jim

Yes, what I'm suggesting would provide a stereo signal; the headphone out is stereo; if you use a TS (mono) cable out of the headphone jack into a single amp, you are losing half the signal though I'm not sure which is being transmitted over TS (mono) cable, Left or Right?  You could, possibly, hard pan your patches to either left or right, I think; once you determine which signal is being sent over the TS (mono) cable to your amp (left or right). This would be similar to summing Left & Right signals into a single mono output.

The FX100, for example, has L/Mono & Right outs - this means it sums both left and right channels out of the Left (mono) if you only use this output (i.e., you get the full signal mono), however if you connect a cable to the right out, then the FX100 splits the signal into stereo left and right to the corresponding outputs.

Yes, you can get a y-cable that splits male TRS (stereo) into two male TS (mono) ends as well; it's a matter of preference.  I prefer having an adapter, which allows me to use my instrument cables from the female TS out of the y-cable.  If you have a few instrument cables, the short y-adapter is usually cheaper than buying a longer cable.  I can always use extra instrument cables, so I'd rather spend more on those than on adapters that I may not use as often.  Again, just personal preference.

This is great RSM0. Ya I figured it was easier and cheaper to connect with instrument cables to the female TS adapter. Lastly, the bit about two amps? Would it change anything if you plugged one cable into power amp input and one into guitar input Jack? Would you still get stereo effect?