Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix crashing my computer Windows 10

troy

I'm using Windows 10 (64 bit) and I can get the updater and Helix app to work IF I restart my computer with the Helix ON, if the Helix is not ON when the computer restarts then turning the Helix on will crash my computer everytime

I was able to update and I'm able to use the software but I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem

Yes I downloaded the Windows driver

Many thanks

I'm using Windows 10 (64 bit) and I can get the updater and Helix app to work IF I restart my computer with the Helix ON, if the Helix is not ON when the computer restarts then turning the Helix on will crash my computer everytime

I was able to update and I'm able to use the software but I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem

Yes I downloaded the Windows driver

Many thanks

I am also using Windows 10 (64bit) and I have not experienced this. It sounds almost like two conflicting drivers, a piece of hardware (Helix or other) conflicting with the driver, or a driver that did not install properly. If this continues it might be worth backing up your presets and downloading and reinstalling the latest beta Helix App (1.11.1) and letting it reinstall all the software again in case the first download got corrupted somehow or a driver did not install properly. You can then retry the Updater and see if you are still crashing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Honest Opinion is probably right about it being a driver conflict.  Without the Helix connected and "On," your PC will revert to the internal soundcard/on board sound of the motherboard..  This is the main reason you would get a bluescreen, or crash if your External Soundcard lost connection to your PC with your DAW open.

If you only use your Helix for a sound card, (and never will use the onboard sound again) you can simply uninstall the onboard sound drivers. Make sure your Helix drivers are up to date, and is powered on and connected to your PC each time you power up the PC.

If you still plan on using your onboard sound at some point for anything the above method is not for you.  What I would do at this point is make sure you install the latest Win 10 drivers for your on board audio, and for the Helix itself.

Even if you have up to date drivers, I would re-install both. (starting with the on board drivers first)

If you have trouble uninstalling the drivers, there are third party tools you can download, (most are free) that can help you with that.

I think Driver Cleaner is one of them.

• Upvote 2

I decided to use a different computer after un-installing and re-installing multiple times

Had no problems with installing Helix App for my Macbook Pro

thanks for the info

Great to hear, cheers! More than one way to skin a cat, my apologies to cat lovers everywhere.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue with Windows 7(x64). Turning on Helix crashes Windows. After the automatic restart & post, Windows loading screen just hangs. Using another computer is not a fix, but I suppose I can fire up VMware and have a 2nd PC/Profile with stripped down drivers and utilities as a workaround until a more stable set of drivers become available.

I did update my firmware when I first connected the USB to my PC, so I guess another workaround is to unplug the USB cable, turn on Helix and re-plug it in. PITA

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Had the same trouble... Just built a new PC for music production, but the helix crashes the pc every time, even without the mouse and keyboard (Rapoo, not logitech).
Tried to reinstall all the drivers but didnt work.. Any suggestions?

23 minutes ago, gumaca2 said:
Had the same trouble... Just built a new PC for music production, but the helix crashes the pc every time, even without the mouse and keyboard (Rapoo, not logitech).
Tried to reinstall all the drivers but didnt work.. Any suggestions?

This is an old thread so any solutions here (version numbers and such) are irrelevant. 

Here are a few things to try...

1. When the Helix starts, look at the screen to see the firmware number... then download and install THAT version of HX Edit and/or corresponding drivers. The two need to match. 
  2. Do not connect through a hub... connect directly to the computer through a "back USB port" (fronts are usually internal hubs). 
  3. If it still doesn't work, try a different USB port and/or different USB cable.

Once you get it to start... if you don't have the latest firmware update you should perform that operation. Of course, you can't do that until you can get it to connect consistently. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, EJD8724 said:

I am having the same problem and i downloafrd every driver they had for the Helix and Windows 10

If you have not already, try uninstalling first and download and install the latest version of HX Edit(3.10) with all checkboxes checked. Sounds like you just tried the various drivers.

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, EJD8724 said:

I am having the same problem and i downloafrd every driver they had for the Helix and Windows 10

I have just started having the same problem, out of the blue. Hadn’t plugged my Helix Floor into my computer for several weeks and now this keeps happening. But not with my Stomp XL, just the Floor. Did you ever get any resolve on yours?

I’ve redone my HX Edit and Helix drovers, checked for windows updates, reset and restored my Helix like 3-4 times now, at a loss.