Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Reviews In Guitar Magazines. I Ain't Seen Any??

Graemey

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I have never seen/read any in depth reviews of Helix in the guitar mags.

Is this because the product was 'eased' out into the market over a few months? Maybe some of the early firmware issues?

Personally, I often buy Guitar Player, Guitar and Bass and Guitarist mags. Nothing in those three, unless I missed something?

I do enjoy a good read... <_<

Yeah, but magazines are something that will slowly start to dwindle, actually it already has. Will it ever completely go away? Probably not. But it will be reduced greatly, as it should.

Why do I get the feeling everyone in here is under 30...  :D  :lol:

• Upvote 1

There's just something therapeutic about the blended smell of magazine and methane while on the crapper.

Exactly, and when you drop ur iPad in the toilet you will wish it was just a mag...  ;)

Here's a preview of Guitarist's verdict

They must have been stretching to find something to fault the Helix on - you'd have to have really, really clumsy feet to hit the joystick instead of a stomp button. And if you do have such feet, Rack & Control would be the choice.

Reviews are almost useless in magazines other than to describe features anyway. Magazines make their money off advertisers.  Give a bad review and you lose an advertiser and their revenue. The last thing they can afford to do is alienate the advertisers who pay their bills by writing a critical, balanced, or heaven forbid, a negative review. You might even get sued. There is an inherent conflict of interest built into their "reviews". Kind of like the way politicians get their campaign money from the very people they need to be reigning in. This has always been true and is even more true now when keeping a magazine afloat in the online world has become incredibly difficult. Look back over the years and you will almost never see a negative review despite the fact that plenty of bad products have graced the pages of the magazines. I pretty much go by the rule, if the review is glowing and over the moon, there is a good chance the product is pretty decent or even excellent, if the review is faint praise or neutral, look out. caveat emptor, buyer beware.

• Upvote 1

When yer 31 it does... When yer 60 the magazine holds more sway my friend :)

... and I call that "temporally tethered." lol  j/k. 

Although it isn't too far off to those who would rather cling to the past instead of the embrace change.  When I am sixty am I suppose to frown on VR? Smart Homes? Self Driving cars? ... just because I am 60?

I do not mean to be offensive.  This is more of a light-hearted tit-for-tat.  :P

In all seriousness I have nothing against magazines. I still read them from time to time. But, due to many reasons it will be one of the things to slow down. That and printed papers. Even physical printed money is only around 10% of our current money supply. 

I don't mean to carry it on, I mean they are great relics for the toilet area, lol I kid, I kid.  :lol:

I'm an old-school hardcopy man myself.

I have bookshelves full of books, stacks of albums and singles and tons of dusty old guitar mags.

Come to think of it, it's a wonder my amps and pedals are now gathering dust! :P

I don't mean to carry it on, I mean they are great relics for the toilet area, lol I kid, I kid.  :lol:

Yes they were- The Sears Roebucks Magazine was in fact a God Send in the dustbowl days- a wee bit before my time  :D

• Upvote 1

Yep—the May 2016 issue of Guitar Player is on my desk right now. Helix review starts on page 100.

I've had my copy of GP for over a week -- good review! It was an Editors' Pick. Good read. Oddly, they made it sound like the unit was unveiled at the Winter NAMM, I believe the initial debut was last summer's NAMM. That's when we all started jonesin' for it.... Maybe it just got a bigger demo at the winter show? I thought the big reveals at the winter show from L6 were the new wireless and the Firehawk 1500.

Dave

PS - My library of Guitar Player Magazine goes back to 1976, when I was in still in college....

Total Guitar may issue has a review

5 stars in all except build quality it got 4 stars

I am surprised to hear this, the most extensive and exhaustive review I have seen gave the Helix top marks on build quality. What specifically cost the Helix a star on build quality?

Here is the most thorough review I have seen, this guy actually opens up and deconstructs the Helix and he feels the build quality is top notch:

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/line6-helix-effects-unit-floor-pedal-inside-and-out-review.htm

I am surprised to hear this, the most extensive and exhaustive review I have seen gave the Helix top marks on build quality. What specifically cost the Helix a star on build quality?

Here is the most thorough review I have seen, this guy actually opens up and deconstructs the Helix and he feels the build quality is top notch:

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/line6-helix-effects-unit-floor-pedal-inside-and-out-review.htm

Talk about voiding your warranty, yikes.

That fellow is a mad scientist.

They didnt tell but my guess is the big display & the joystick

As many wrote before beware of people that can slop a beer over the unit on a pub gig.

A.s.f.a.k it isnt waterproof but they say that the joystick is very stable so we will see if any will report a broken joystick here soon

Btw, here is the YouTube video review by the same fellow who authored the above article. Great review if you are in the mood for a video marathon. This review is getting a little long in the tooth now as it was done when the Helix was first released but it is still impressive in scope and detail.