Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

buzzalad

I'm taking delivery of a ALTO212 powered speaker later today and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable gentlemen could give me any basic tips to get the best out of it.  Currently going Variax - Helix - Roland Blues Cube Artist.

Any help greatly appreciated

It will take some getting used to...your patches, as they are now will likely sound very different, especially if you're not using cab/mic sims. On the bright side, your Variax acoustic models just became much easier to use. It's nearly impossible to take advantage of those without FRFR.

Sorry Iknowathingortwo, I don't understand eq very much.  Do I use the simple eq block? and what would I set that at?  The low cut parameter goes from 0 to 1000 Hz and the high cut from 1 to 20 kHz

Sorry Iknowathingortwo, I don't understand eq very much. Do I use the simple eq block? and what would I set that at? The low cut parameter goes from 0 to 1000 Hz and the high cut from 1 to 20 kHz

You will have to experiment with the EQ...not all FRFR speakers are created equal. It's not unusual to find your patches to be a bit bass-heavy (especially at higher volumes) if you've dialed them in using a traditional guitar amp. Using a low cut filter can help tame some of that boominess, but there's no magic frequency setting. You just have to listen, and adjust accordingly. You may find that the settings will change depending on which amp model your using, as well as the guitar you're playing. Every piece of the puzzle has an effect.

• Upvote 1

I generally recommend using the high and low cut filters on the cab block. Inserting an EQ block is a waste of block space for that and the global EQ is better reserved for fixing variations between different PA systems (ie you would adjust it when you get to a gig).

• Upvote 1

I generally recommend using the high and low cut filters on the cab block. Inserting an EQ block is a waste of block space for that and the global EQ is better reserved for fixing variations between different PA systems (ie you would adjust it when you get to a gig).

Not really agree to the last point as it seems for me to be the part of the PA/sound-guy. Never needed to adjust Global-EQ in a live situation. 

I mean, that is the exact purpose of the global EQ. The soundguy will generally have, at best, a 4-band EQ with sweepable mids. The global EQ is more flexible and provides better control so you get the sound right to begin with. I have also never bothered with that sort of thing much, but a good sound engineer at a good venue will let you know if you need to make adjustments for the room and/or PA.

Sorry Iknowathingortwo, I don't understand eq very much.  Do I use the simple eq block? and what would I set that at?  The low cut parameter goes from 0 to 1000 Hz and the high cut from 1 to 20 kHz

If you're interested in a quick reference to how EQ works, check out this video at 6:14: 

And this video to understand all the types of EQ included in the Helix and other devices: 

I hope those are useful.

AMP to FRFR?

Well I went from Amp to Studio monitors (Event BAS 20/20) which are FRFR. 

First thing I noticed was a whole lot more high-end frequencies which for the most part was NOT pleasant. Very shrill. 

Second thing I got noticeably more low end (but it muddied up the tone more)

A Hi-cut, Lo-Cut EQ... (or low pass, high pass EQ) will generally fix most of this.  Now I dial in some of the most beautiful tones that I ever have just out of my plugins. 

I don't have the Helix (yet) but I will.  I would assume it would be the same with it.  Although I would first try it with the CAB Hi-Low pass EQ. Then again for those of us recording we should have some stellar EQ plugins that could help.  I know I do, (Fabfilter Pro Q 2)