Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax custom tuning

buzzalad

Hi chaps

Is anyone experiencing problems with the Helex in respect to the Variax custom tuning.  

The Helix seems to be OK going from a "Don't Force" normal tuning preset to a custom tuning preset but won't change the tuning when going from a custom tuning preset to a "Don't Force" preset.  

I have to physically switch the Variax tuning back & forth to get rid of the custom tuning.

Is this normal behaviour?

any ideas?

I've noticed that too. I think it's normal behaviour because I expect that telling Helix that the Variax mode for any preset is 'Don't Force' is interpreted by Helix as meaning 'don't make any changes to the Variax settings' - either model or tuning changes. Hence the Variax remains in its previous state when any 'Don't Force' preset is loaded. If that state happens to include an alternate tuning, then that tuning remains effective.

I've just tested this a little more. I realize now that you might be talking about the separate parameter for Variax Tuning rather than Variax Model Selection (which my earlier response was assuming). With my Helix and JTV-59 the Atlernate Tuning Don't Force and Custom settings behave as expected. Switching from a Custom tuned preset to a preset with the Alternate Tuning set to Don't Force leaves the Custom tuning in place. Changing the Alternate Tuning setting to Custom and all offsets at 0 restores standard tuning in the new preset.

Yep, Silverhead is correct. Don't Force changes nothing. So either force a tuning (even a standard tuning) or force a model selection that has the tuning stored in your Variax. Or make your Variax model/tuning change manually on the guitar.