Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live Amplification Options

croSSed

Hey. I have HD500X and am presently using an Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum digital "stomp box" power amp, which has been great for doing mono live stuff with my HD. However, I'd like to start running stereo as I have 2 two-twelve speaker cabs. The 44 Magnum is amplification ONLY; does not color the sound, and is PLENTY loud for any work I do. What other options do I have for running stereo w/o breaking the bank?

why not buy a 2nd 44?

Run one left and one right. 

Mmm, yeah; I could do this. I was thinking of running like a stereo studio reference amp, though. Maybe I'm over thinking... Thanks.

I will also throw this out there as well.

If you're going through a house PA most sound people will resist doing stereo panning on two channels because in a live environment it really doesn't work all that well given the nature of the room and the dispersion of the people to the left and right of the PA speakers.  It's not very likely your stereo effect will be heard correctly by most of the audience.

Stereo panning effects are generally something best left to recordings where you can be more assured the people or person listening to it are somewhat centered between the speakers.

• Upvote 1

There's really no point in trying to go stereo in a live situation. Aside from the fact that the only person who's gonna get the full effect is the guy who happens to be standing dead center between your speakers, you run the risk of irritating your bandmate(s)...as whomever is on the opposite side of the stage is only gonna hear half of your stereo FX. That can get confusing with a lot of other noise swirling around.

Since I have a similar gear, I´d like to chime in. For the record I haven´t had time to test the setup yet, waiting for some cables. I bought a dead cheap power amp that has been used in a PA system, and will use it just the way croSSed is thinking of. The difference being that I have a 4x12 cabinet, and I´ll probably rewire the speaker elements so that I can run stereo within the 4x12, in pairs of 2. The reason for that is 1: I want to use the balanced outputs from the 500x, and as I understand it there is no way to run them in mono? And 2: The power amp I bought is an enormous overkill effect wise, so I don´t want to run that in bridge mode, instead I rewire the 4x12 and get two channels which will be 16 ohms and can at least turn the volume knobs up a bit....;-) Anyone thinks this could work? When using just a very small portion of the power amps total output, could that effect the sound much?

Tommy

Power amps, by design, are not supposed to color the sound at all. That only happens when you turn them up too far and they start to clip. That's another reason why power amps have so much wattage; they build in headroom so they don't clip. I don't know if I've said this yet, but the 44 Magnum "stomp box" amp, along with the master volume of the HD 500X, gives me PLENTY of volume. I can make it painfully loud if I want to running through a 2 12 cab.

But can it hold up against a drummer and another guitar player with a tube combo? I guess it really depends on what kind of music you're playing. You wanted to know if you had any options for running sound in stereo, something the .44 can't do.

A two channel solid state poweramp could run two cabinets in stereo but they would both share the available wattage. I had my eye on a Crown XLS1500 after my Carvin crapped out.

But can it hold up against a drummer and another guitar player with a tube combo?

Absolutely.

I think I'm going to get another one, not so much so that I can run stereo, but so I can run two cabs.