Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brand new JTV59 - modeling doesn't turn on

I only had a few minutes last night when the guitar arrived so it's way early in the game.   I do get sound with regular guitar cable to HD500x to speaker when the POD is set to guitar input.   With the VDI cable nothing, so I may either have the common JTV modeling knob activation issue, or somehow the VDI cable jacks weren't pushed all the way into the guitar or POD.  I haven't run through the POD's onboard general setup yet to look for issues --- I was just using HDEdit to try the inputs.  On the mixer tab of HDEdit I could select JTV, but everything else in that block was grayed out.

The neck feels fine ( never owned a Les Paul type guitar ).  I may tighten the little phillips head screws in the tuners as I like them to have a fair amount of resistance to turning.  Later maybe upgrade to locking tuners. I'm confident enough that I'm going to go ahead and order a longer VDI cable, extra battery, case and strap with strap locks.   I thought these came with two batteries, but I only received one.

I only had a few minutes last night when the guitar arrived so it's way early in the game. I do get sound with regular guitar cable to HD500x to speaker when the POD is set to guitar input. With the VDI cable nothing, so I may either have the common JTV modeling knob activation issue, or somehow the VDI cable jacks weren't pushed all the way into the guitar or POD. I haven't run through the POD's onboard general setup yet to look for issues --- I was just using HDEdit to try the inputs. On the mixer tab of HDEdit I could select JTV, but everything else in that block was grayed out.

The neck feels fine ( never owned a Les Paul type guitar ). I may tighten the little phillips head screws in the tuners as I like them to have a fair amount of resistance to turning. Later maybe upgrade to locking tuners. I'm confident enough that I'm going to go ahead and order a longer VDI cable, extra battery, case and strap with strap locks. I thought these came with two batteries, but I only received one.

Does the model knob light up if you engage it manually? If it does, it should be fine...but with POD'S input is set only to "guitar", you still won't hear anything thru the VDI, even with the models engaged. Set it to guitar+Variax, or just Variax.

They only come with one battery, so that's normal.

Forget the edit software and the input settings for the moment...what happens when the POD is NOT connected to a computer, and you plug in either the VDI, or a 1/4" cable (with the battery in), and you press the model knob?

Regardless of what the input settings are, or whether or not you can hear anything, you should be able to toggle the model knob on and off manually as long as the guitar has power. Narrow down one thing at a time.

Model knob does appear to be working properly and easily, with the 1/4 inch cable in AND the charged up battery now installed.  Doesn't seem to activate with the VDI cable.  Same thing with a longer spare Cat5 cable I have.   I was able to connect it to my laptop by installing workbench which comes with the usb driver.  Monkey shows everything up to date.

Back to the POD:  nothing happens on VDI cable only, model knob won't activate.  With both cables it does and for a minute I was getting sound to speaker with input 1 on variax, but flipping the modeling knob had no effect so appears I was just getting magnetic pickups.  Fiddled some more and then I could only get sound with pod input set to Guitar.

Progress, but not there yet and haven't been able to hear anything besides mag pickups so far.

Model knob does appear to be working properly and easily, with the 1/4 inch cable in AND the charged up battery now installed. Doesn't seem to activate with the VDI cable. Same thing with a longer spare Cat5 cable I have. I was able to connect it to my laptop by installing workbench which comes with the usb driver. Monkey shows everything up to date.

Back to the POD: nothing happens on VDI cable only, model knob won't activate. With both cables it does and for a minute I was getting sound to speaker with input 1 on variax, but flipping the modeling knob had no effect so appears I was just getting magnetic pickups. Fiddled some more and then I could only get sound with pod input set to Guitar.

Progress, but not there yet and haven't been able to hear anything besides mag pickups so far.

I'm stumped then...if you're able to connect to workbench, then the VDI connecting is intact, but doesn't seem to be supplying power to the guitar. Not sure how that's possible...perhaps someone else will chime in.

Two places I'm not clear about, which may or may not be my problem.  First, the POD inputs can be set to global or preset. Second, on the HdEdit Mixer Tab there are settings for the JTV, like "unlocked."

One other thing is the order of turning on the POD and when to make the vdi connections.    I just ordered the longer, stouter VDI cable because obviously the one that comes with the JTV is too short and wimpy, and unplugging a standard Cat5 jack is not fun on the guitar itself.  Even the Line6 vdi cable looks like its going to be a fingernail breaker getting it unplugged, but overall I like the options VDI offers for playing live.   However if my presets on the POD are all fixed in advance to select the correct guitar model, string volumes etc, then maybe the 1/4 cable would be ok live.

However if my presets on the POD are all fixed in advance to select the correct guitar model, string volumes etc, then maybe the 1/4 cable would be ok live.

The POD can't send commands to the guitar over the 1/4" cable, aside from power, that's what the VDI is for. If you're running on the battery and 1/4", it doesn't matter what's saved to your patches, you will have to change models and tunings manually.

You need to set the pod input to Variax to get the VDI connected.  But it should be powered anyway and the model knob should light up if the volume knob is turned up.

Yes did all of that.  Fortunately, the model knob does light up and turn on/off easily.  But apparently only if the 1/4 inch cable is also plugged in.   Tried all possible pod input settings and couldn't get models to operate, the sound was the same so I'm assuming only the mag pickups are working so far.

Yes did all of that. Fortunately, the model knob does light up and turn on/off easily. But apparently only if the 1/4 inch cable is also plugged in. Tried all possible pod input settings and couldn't get models to operate, the sound was the same so I'm assuming only the mag pickups are working so far.

Something ain't right...

It sounds like the problem might be the VDI interface on your Pod.  Do you have access to another pod that you can try?  It could also be the VDI on your guitar but if it works with Workbench, it sounds like it is able to talk.  Two of the wires on that interface are power.  When plugged into the Pod, the power comes from the Pod over the VDI.

Ok got it working mostly.  Works now with POD set to variax input using just the vdi cable.   Model knob on guitar comes on and off perfectly with only the VDI cable hooked up to the POD.   I had to switch the alternate tuning knob from standard to Model to get modeling coming thru the POD and into the amp.   Obviously I need to do more reading.

The jtv pilot's guide is too brief but setting model to Chime and pushing down on the tuning knob ( with pickup selector "up" in neck position ) I was able to get some 12 string going.  That is one of the model's I want to perfect the most.

The D'Addario strings it came with seem too light so I'll change to my normal D'Addario Nickel Wound XL's in 11-49

That may put a tad more bend in the neck and get rid of some fret rattle.

Convinced enough now that I went ahead and ordered a strap, case and long gig-quality Line6 VDI cable.

Still mulling over strap locks       -- probably these        Dunlop SLS1031N Straplok® Dual Design Strap Retainer System, Nickel                  Although I'm tempted to keep everything black -- guitar, strap and locks, but nickel matches the tuners.

Good news!  You may need a few adjustments after you get the heavier strings installed.  You want little to no fret rattle.  If your playing style is light, you can have the strings lower but the modeling will distort fret noise.  I would change the strings and then see how it is.  Minor adjustments may still be necessary but all guitars need some setup out of the box.

I agree that the pilot's guide is way too thin and brief.  There is lots of knowledge here though.  By the way, I found a few Variax Acoustic presets for the HD500x in Custom Tone  that work great with the Acoustic models if you are playing into a full range speaker system.  The Acoustic models only sound really good into a full range speaker system.  They will sound muddy with any guitar amp.  (As will a real acoustic guitar)

• Upvote 1

Found a couple of fixable problems.  The longer Cat5 cable I have isn't making a secure connection to the guitar -- easy for it to move enough to break connection.  The line6 cable should be here Saturday.  Also, the guitar turned out to be tuned down a half step -- I mean the actual tuning on the guitar, not any modeled tuning.

I'm wondering how old the strings are on a newly delivered guitar.  Obviously the neck is jumping through hoops getting acclimated to NW Washington State in a room typically kept at about 60 degrees days, 50s at night.

Found a couple of fixable problems. The longer Cat5 cable I have isn't making a secure connection to the guitar -- easy for it to move enough to break connection. The line6 cable should be here Saturday. Also, the guitar turned out to be tuned down a half step -- I mean the actual tuning on the guitar, not any modeled tuning.

I'm wondering how old the strings are on a newly delivered guitar. Obviously the neck is jumping through hoops getting acclimated to NW Washington State in a room typically kept at about 60 degrees days, 50s at night.

No guitar delivered in a cardboard box is gonna be set up properly...I don't care what proclamations are made about the rigorous 119-point inspection each one supposedly goes through before leaving the facility.

Even if you're the first owner, if the production date was 2 years ago, then it's a safe bet that those strings are 2 years old. None of these places are paying someone to wander through a warehouse all day, doing preventative maintenance on guitars that might sit there for weeks, months, or years.