Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If i use a transistor tape delay block with no delay...do i obtain Xotic Ep booster?

Paolo_Maina

• 3 years later...
On 5/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, Etienne73 said:

Fact or question?

Does the transistor tape delay block emulate the Echoplex preamp characteristics if I set mix to 0% and raise level >0dB ?

Hi,

Not sure that is the way it works, but what I do know is the “Kinky Boost” in Helix is based on the Xotic EP Boost, which in turn is supposed to be a recreation of the original EP-3 Echo Machine pre-amp.

It is built into the Helix under distortion section, so there must have been a reason to include it as a separate effect.

• Upvote 1

Hi :-)

I can't test it myself yet. I will get my HX Stomp next week. But I'm already planning my first preset with all 6 simultaneous possible blocks. 

flanger > phaser > transistor tape delay > amp > IR > reverb

I need Echoplex preamp sound characteristics as boost and echoing in one block in this preset.

• Thanks 1

@Etienne73

In the Helix I use the Kinky Boost to accomplish this... but in my old HD500 I used to use "Tube Delay Dry" (EP-1) and "Tape Delay Dry" (EP-3). Those were the tones of the different echo plex pre-amps without delays. 

Those models are available in the HELIX under legacy effects. They don't have the "dry" distinction, but I'm sure if you kept the repeats off it would act very similar. 

I'm not suggesting this is THE solution, I'm just saying there are other options you can try :) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for help and answers so far! :-)

My situation will be with the HX Stomp = max 6 simultaneous blocks per preset.

5 blocks are already reserved. I only have 1 Block free for boost and slapback delay Echoplex like. 

16 hours ago, Etienne73 said:

5 blocks are already reserved. I only have 1 Block free for boost and slapback delay Echoplex like. 

Understood... there is no room for a dedicated EP style pre-amp.

The transistor delay, or the legacy Tube Delay or Tape Delay should work for you. You can use a snapshot or a controller to control the amount of delay and/or boost without disengaging the effect... that should keep the tone in place even when you don't use delay.

• Thanks 1