Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Exporting "Recording" files to DAW to mix & make .mp3

Hi,

I am looking for help to see if I'm on the "right track" so to speak.

On my M20d I had recorded 4 songs live, onto a connected USB memory stick. This resulted in Recording, Recording 2 (etc.) directories. Each of these directories has .wav files of each recorded input (vocal, guitars, drums, keyboard, etc.).

What I want to do is make a .mp3 file of each of these songs to distribute to the musicians as a gift/souvenier.

Do I understand correctly that I could take each directory (of recorded inputs, or .wav files), import(?) these into a DAW, and use the DAW to mix and create the .mp3?

The DAW I have readily available is GarageBand (apple), I am familiar with the concept but never really used a DAW.

Would GarageBand allow me to do what I'm describing above? Am I understanding the process correctly? :)

Thanks,

-Gary K

Yes. I've used garage band and logic to take the files the M20D makes and mix them to a stereo mp3.  Basically you drag all of the wav files into one garageband project and it should create a new track for each one.

Yes. I've used garage band and logic to take the files the M20D makes and mix them to a stereo mp3.  Basically you drag all of the wav files into one garageband project and it should create a new track for each one.

Thank you for taking time to reply!  Very helpful!

-Gary K

Possibly easier...

The tracks on your memory stick are RAW inputs, ie with no processing.

So, when you drag them into GarageBand, you'll need to EQ, apply FX and set levels accordingly to get your mix exactly as you want it.

BUT, if you were happy with how it sounded on the M20d, why not play back those recordings through the M20d and record the stereo outputs of the M20d in GarageBand.

That way what you record into GarageBand is what you heard from the M20d. Then just use GarageBand to output the MP3.

I do it regularly.

Playback on M20d. Adjust vocal levels down a little (as there's no live backline), and hit record in Mixcraft (my DAW)

Once recorded into MixCraft I apply a small amount of their Mastering: Room reverb and Compression effect to he master outputs and save to mp3.

Hi SiWatts69,

I see what you are saying.

One obstacle is, although I have (let say) 4 directories on the memory stick (Recording, Recording 2, etc) I seem to only be able to play back from the files in the Recording directory.  I can't see how to play back from Recording 2, Recording 3, etc.  If I could do this, then I would play the m20d into the DAW "wet" as you describe.

Thanks,

-Gary K

On the RECORD screen, touch the Recording Folder and it will drop shown to show you all the sessions. Select each session in turn and playback :-)

On the M20D you have the option to record the mainmix.

The mainmix is incl. eq,fx,...

Than you can convert the 48kHz./  24 bit mainmix to a mp3

I found the M20d main mix recordings a little on the low side. Plus, they are a recording of the mix as it was when the drums and backline were also all belting out so tend to be a little vocal heavy.

By playing back the channel recordings and adjusting the mix to overcome the missing backline noise, I find that the outcome is typically much better.

as sapca pointed out along with the individual tracks there is an option to also record a stereo track which would probably show up as tracks 17 and 18.  You should check if they are there.  You may have inadvertently done that and may have a good stereo mix sitting on your drive.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

When I can next sit down with the m20d:

1)  If I "play" the wet recordings from the m20d to the DAW (Garageband on a Mac Mini), what is the connection path?  I have a Scarlett 2i4 (I believe), would I go like this:

1a)  m20d XL/R main (cable) Left/Right  ---->  Scarlett ---->  (USB) to Mac/Garageband

- or -

1b)  m20d --->  USB cable  ---->  Mac/GB

2)  If I have tracks 17 & 18 (I assume there would be this pair in each "Recording" directory), then would I just copy them off the USB stick and into Mac/Garageband (a GB Project?) and create a .mp3 from that?

Thanks again very much to everyone helping me out w/ this!

-Gary K

I would go XLR out > Scarlett > Mac

You'll NOT have tracks 17 and 18, even if you have the main mix set to record... What you'll have is a "Main Mix.mp3" (I think that's what it gets called but may be wrong). The main outs mix appears as a single file but it is a stereo (2 channel) file.

If you play that file back using the Media Player on the M20d it uses channels 17/18

• 2 months later...