Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

th-IRs-ty Thursday Free IR's

roscoe5

Totally ripping off Freeset Friday naming convention, sorry sminchk67 ;)

So, the evolution continues.  More research and more testing have resulted in version 2 production (v2).

The bad...I really should go back and remake the v1 IR's (now filed on dropbox in v1 folder)

The good...v2 IR's seem to have MUCH better sound and feel IMO.  Clearer, crisper, more controlled response, more usable.

Amps really do have an effect on the overall response of the cab and resulting IR, almost as much as the speaker and mic.  I'm going to take a little different approach in the v2 IR's and categorize them with amp type clean (CL), mid-gain(MG), and high gain (HG) along with the cab type and speaker.  

I may hold off on producing any more cab-only IR's as there are plenty of those out there.

The daily special is (again) a Mesa Recto 412 cooked high gain (HG) with your choice of side (speaker), Celestion Vintage 30 (V30), Electro-Voice EV12L (EV), or Mesa Black Shadow (BS).  Salt and pepper (Low Cut & High Cut) to taste (70Hz LC & 7000Hz HC is good).  I highly recommend pairing with the '92 Cali Rectifire (model), but pairs well with other reds (high gain amps).  For desert , SM57 with a touch of condenser (mic).  

Enjoy!

Update 4/15/2016:

From some good feedback for some more thickness in the mids and highs, I have moved the SM57 off the center cone an inch or so.  IR's with an OC suffix attached and on Dropbox.

Also added a set with the condenser 87 "C" replaced with a ribbon 121 "R" mic.  SM57 is still off center.

Just added a set of SM57 2" off center (to darken them up a bit more), still mixed with ribbon 121 mic.

Revised the naming convention a bit to represent mics and mic position.  i.e. the first 4 I posted are now "0i57R" suffix to represent SM57 0in on the cone on one side, mixed with a condenser 87 mic on the other side.

Posted some 1/2 ribbon 121 and 1/2 condenser 87 IR's for each speaker type by request (RC suffix).  

Moved everything to Dropbox for easier management

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/009bkqzooza1aop/AACchidYhkM2TgZa6ljTiAI3a/IR/V2?dl=0

• Upvote 3

Totally ripping off Freeset Friday naming convention, sorry sminchk67 ;)

So, the evolution continues.  More research and more testing have resulted in version 2 production (v2).

The bad...I really should go back and remake the v1 IR's (now filed on dropbox in v1 folder)

The good...v2 IR's seem to have MUCH better sound and feel IMO.  Clearer, crisper, more controlled response, more usable.

Amps really do have an effect on the overall response of the cab and resulting IR, almost as much as the speaker and mic.  I'm going to take a little different approach in the v2 IR's and categorize them with amp type clean (CL), mid-gain(MG), and high gain (HG) along with the cab type and speaker.  

I may hold off on producing any more cab-only IR's as there are plenty of those out there.

The daily special is (again) a Mesa Recto 412 cooked high gain (HG) with your choice of side (speaker), Celestion Vintage 30 (V30), Electro-Voice EV12L (EV), or Mesa Black Shadow (BS).  Salt and pepper (Low Cut & High Cut) to taste (70Hz LC & 7000Hz HC is good).  I highly recommend pairing with the '92 Cali Rectifire (model), but pairs well with other reds (high gain amps).  For desert , SM57 with a touch of condenser (mic).  

Enjoy!

Attached and on Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/009bkqzooza1aop/AADhgWBm3EfcN6205-IWaGZaa/IR?dl=0

Thank you !!!

Also added two more sets

1.  "57R" with the condenser 87 replaced with a ribbon 121 mic.  SM57 is still off center.
  2. "2i57R" with the SM57 2" off center (to darken them up a bit more), still mixed with ribbon 121 mic.