Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First steps with a brand new JTV?

Just received a new JTV59.  What would some of your first actions be on such a guitar (  many would apply to any new guitar )?

Since my serial number suggests 2013 as the build year  ( W1311.....) I started with new strings.

I seem to be getting intermittent connection of the VDI cable at the jack on the guitar so ordered the longer Line6 cable.  A quick check suggests intonation isn't bad, and the fresh, heavier strings seem to be reducing fret buzz on the 6th string in the 5th-8th fret area, but if it still needs relief I'm always undecided about whether to raise the bridge on that side, or loosen the truss rod a bit.

Other than that it's finding HD500x patches built for such a guitar and it's models because the patches I already have were for a regular strat.

I will need strap locks but would really like to find a set that will work with the screws already in the guitar ( or comes with identical screws ).  Alternatively I'd have to pull the existing screws and go to the hardware store with the new strap locks to try and find some that work without risking my internal electronics.

Just received a new JTV59. What would some of your first actions be on such a guitar ( many would apply to any new guitar )?

Since my serial number suggests 2013 as the build year ( W1311.....) I started with new strings.

I seem to be getting intermittent connection of the VDI cable at the jack on the guitar so ordered the longer Line6 cable. A quick check suggests intonation isn't bad, and the fresh, heavier strings seem to be reducing fret buzz on the 6th string in the 5th-8th fret area, but if it still needs relief I'm always undecided about whether to raise the bridge on that side, or loosen the truss rod a bit.

Other than that it's finding HD500x patches built for such a guitar and it's models because the patches I already have were for a regular strat.

I will need strap locks but would really like to find a set that will work with the screws already in the guitar ( or comes with identical screws ). Alternatively I'd have to pull the existing screws and go to the hardware store with the new strap locks to try and find some that work without risking my internal electronics.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you over-think everything to a degree that makes my head spin. Installing strap-locks is about as brain dead a task as there is in this world. Pick a set, and buy them. They're all essentially the same. Shove in the original screws, and go on with your day. If the entire experience takes more than 4 minutes, I'll buy you a case of whatever you drink. I've done it on countless guitars at this point, including the JTV...never once required a trip to the hardware store, and I've rarely used the screws that came with the strap locks. Regardless, there won't be any way to tell if you need 3rd party screws until you have everything laid out in front of you. Trying to guess before you by them is an exercise in futility.

Same thing with the set-up...don't over think it. With the exception of intonation, which is completely objective and measurable, the rest is largely personal preference. Some guys like action a little higher, some don't. Some have a light touch, others bang on the strings. Set-ups are done accordingly. No one can guess for you as to action, or neck relief. I have a very light touch. I can get away with fairly low action, and a neck that's almost pin-straight, and I like that tight feel. But if I hand one of my guitars to a guy who beats the daylights out of the strings, he's gonna find it unplayable...doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with it though. It's just set up for me.

Guitars are not shy about telling you when they need work. If you've been playing for any length of time, you know as soon as you pick it up if there's a problem. As long as the strings aren't buzzing, it's properly intonated, and it plays comfortably for your style, then leave it be.

Crusinon2, yes I do overthink.  Ask my wife.    With the new strings I'm really liking this guitar.   Once I get the new VDI cable I'm hoping the occasionally disconnect at the guitar jack will go away.     

I've been struggling to decide which of my other guitars has to go ( a deal with wife ).  74 Strat with Gold Lace Sensor pickups , a new Warmoth neck with medium-jumbo stainless frets and locking tuners, or the CarvinAE185.

Probably going to be the Carvin.   I don't think the acoustic tone it produces with the piezo bridge is as convincing as the JTV ( no modeling in the Carvin) and the acoustic-electric strings make it harder to do "electric guitar stuff" even though it has two humbuckers.

I recommend you buy an other than Line6 VDI cable.  The one I have is from btpa.com  (Bestronics)  98-030-004-XXX 

It is a very well made cable with good connectors on the ends and it is flexible like a regular guitar cable should be.

Already ordered, but will keep that in mind -- good price.

Here's a cheap strap lock alternative. There are a few beers out there with a rubber washer. Grolsch is one of them. Use that for a strap lock. Not only do you get a cheap and reliable strap lock, you get a tasty malt beverage to consume while installing said strap lock. And it uses the original screws!!!

For store bought strap locks I have used the Schaller strap locks for years. I have a JTV 69 a JTV89F and two original Variaxs and used them on all of them with no screw issues (comes with it's own screws). If the hole is a little loose, take a round toothpick or two, put a little white glue on them and push them into the hole. Snap off the excess and screw the strap lock screws in. No electronics issues.

Here it is at Guitar Center

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schaller/Guitar-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons-Pair.gc

Not that the "Grolsch" straplocks aren't completely legitimate.