Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why do the magnetic and sampled sounds sound "farty"?

My Tele sounds fantastic through my pedalboard or straight through my amp. I have a used JTV69 that sounds kindy buzzy/break-up, especially on lower notes, no matter what I use or how I set it up. Could this maybe be something where restoring the default settings might help? I'm guessing no since the magnetic pickups sound the same. Anyone else have this issue? 

Could be the set-up, if the pick-ups are set to the wrong height too close to the strings,

the magnets pull on the strings, it can sound warbly or distorted.

Using Custom settings in Workbench HD, if a setting is taken too far. If a Flash update

didn't quite take like it should, can sound odd. Going back to defaults can help there.

My Tele sounds fantastic through my pedalboard or straight through my amp. I have a used JTV69 that sounds kindy buzzy/break-up, especially on lower notes, no matter what I use or how I set it up. Could this maybe be something where restoring the default settings might help? I'm guessing no since the magnetic pickups sound the same. Anyone else have this issue?

If by "buzzy" you mean fret buzz, and it's happening with the mags and the models, then it sounds like you're in need of a set-up.

You could try re-flashing the firmware, but again if the mags are affected too, it's less likely to help.

Setup is fine. Not fret buzz. Just sounds a little grainy on the lower strings and kinda compressed. I have not been using it much. Just for acoustic and banjo. Tried to dial in some setting to use it more but it just sound bad. I have a tele, a strata do guild M-75. No issues. Just the Variax. I know if everyone else's sounded like this there would not be many happy players. Maybe I can get some video next week to post.

Setup is fine. Not fret buzz. Just sounds a little grainy on the lower strings and kinda compressed. I have not been using it much. Just for acoustic and banjo. Tried to dial in some setting to use it more but it just sound bad. I have a tele, a strata do guild M-75. No issues. Just the Variax. I know if everyone else's sounded like this there would not be many happy players. Maybe I can get some video next week to post.

Well, a re-flash is quick, easy, and unlikely to make anything worse. Got nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

Again if it does it with the Mags with the battery out it's NOT the electronics and a reflash isn't going to do squat.  I am tired of hearing "Reflash" as a solution to any Variax problems anyway.  These things sound GREAT with the mags only if they are set up properly!  It is just a standard guitar with the battery out!  Passive all the way!

• Upvote 1

I am tired of hearing "Reflash" as a solution to any Variax problems anyway.

Which is the first thing I said...if the mags don't sound right either, not likely a firmware issue. Then again, there are all sorts of oddities and funny noises that users have reportedly remedied with a re-flash, no matter how little intuitive sense it makes, or how tired you may be of hearing it. And since his description of the problem is ambiguous at best, I still say he's got nothing to lose by trying.

It cannot be a firmware issue if the mags sound farty!!!!!  The processor is dead as a stone with the battery removed.  The  mags are passive and they come out the 1/4 inch cable just like any normal passive guitar.  If it doesn't sound great that way there is a mechanical setup problem PERIOD.  End of story.

It cannot be a firmware issue if the mags sound farty!!!!! The processor is dead as a stone with the battery removed. The mags are passive and they come out the 1/4 inch cable just like any normal passive guitar. If it doesn't sound great that way there is a mechanical setup problem PERIOD. End of story.

Perhaps he's got more than one problem. Is that not a possibility? And before you fire back with more "end of story" pronouncements to put me in my place, the answer is "yes"...there may be more than one problem. PERIOD.

Have a lovely weekend.

I didn't have much time with this guitar last week. Did a little more investigating on the set-up over the weekend. I was mistaken. There is some fret buzz and set-up needed. Fret 3 is a little high and the low e is definitely set too low. Will be taking to my tech for some fret leveling and additional set-up. We'll see what happens after that. Thanks for all of the input. I'll report back when I get it back.

It may just need adjusting on the relief or action on the low-E side.

Fret leveling should be the last resort of last resorts. You can take

away material, but you can't put it back.

The last time someone tried that, it ended up on my bench, and I had

to replace the neck. It wasn't pretty. And all it really needed was a set-up

adjustment and neck re-alignment. He voided his warranty and we had

to charge him for it.

• 2 weeks later...

If there's too little neck relief, then you might not notice fret buzz until you pick harder. If there's too much neck relief, there might not be any fret buzz in the low to middle part of the neck, but as you get up higher, you might start getting fret buzz from the high frets.

You could also have some low/high frets that are causing fret buzz, but only in certain places.