Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting hum when I plug in my EXT AMP cable.. any clever ideas?

ricksteruk

Hey folks,

I've been throughly testing out my Helix today and I am loving it to bits.

One of the last things I got to test out was channel switching on my amps - I just tried plugging in a TRS cable from the EXT amp socket into the TRS footswitch on my Laney AOR combo and I am getting a bit of hum - a ground loop.

Not only that the ground loop is stopping the amps switching from working properly - when it's supposed to be "off" there is some ground voltage leaking through and so the amps channel LED is dimly glowing when it should be off.  The clean channel is not quite sounding right because of this.

Any clever ideas of how to stop this ground loop from occurring?

(I wonder if using the CV socket and transistor in the jack socket method as an alternative might stop the ground loop?  LINK HERE  

Thought I'd mention that the amp is already running in 4cm.

I might try unplugging those other cables and see if the hum still occurs.  I think It might be easier to isolate the signal cables with a Hum Eliminator or something - not sure if one of those would work on the EXT amp socket.

You shouldn't be getting any ground hum from a channel switching cable. I doubt a hum eliminator would do anything.

you might have issues getting it to even work. seems line6 is NOT giving customers a correct fix for this issue.

there are lots of people with this problem of the helix not changing channels. it does not work with both my amps. line 6 should offer consumers a free fix for this.

1500 bucks and you have to use a midi controlled switcher outside of helix seems pretty stupid. so far line 6 support has failed its customers with this issue.

Ahh that's a bummer - sorry to hear it doesn't work on your amps.

I am loving the sound of the Helix with my Laney so much I was tempted to use that as my gig rig - but if I can't sort the hum I will stick to my H&K Switchblade amp which ought to work as it is MIDI switched and MIDI is supposed to have Opto Isolators on it's sockets according the standards to avoid ground loops.

EDIT - Just read up on the problems with Mesas and the new Marhall 2555x.  BIG BUMMER - I was thinking of getting one of the new 2525H mini Jubilee heads.  They will surely have the same circuit as their big brother.  

I have to use Helix with an isolated/filtered power strip with my Mesa amps.

It looks like something from the 80's or 90s I got from the office.

It's called a Tripp Lite Isobar model IB-6 noise filter and surge suppressor.  Each pair of outlets is isolated/filtered.  I have Helix in a dedicated pair.

Seems to do the trick.

post-1189006-0-28797500-1460919948_thumb.jpg

Might be worth a try roscoe.

I have a rack power conditioner in my previous/current guitar rig that I will try and see if that helps.  It has sorted out some weird and horrid ground loops elsewhere so - here's hoping :)

On the bright side the Helix works flawlessly with my H&K switchblade amp in 4cm also using a MIDI cable to switch presets... :D

Thought I'd mention that the amp is already running in 4cm.

I might try unplugging those other cables and see if the hum still occurs.  I think It might be easier to isolate the signal cables with a Hum Eliminator or something - not sure if one of those would work on the EXT amp socket.

You can use an Ebtech Hum Eliminator between the send from your Helix to the front of the amp.  I had the same issue you are having with massive hum when plugged into the EXT Jack.  Also, you will notice the level value on the the volume/expression pedal is moving all over at the same time.  Putting the Ebtech Hum Eliminator inline solved the issue for me.  I also use a Ebtech HumX to plug the Helix into the wall but all you really need is the inline hum eliminator.  You won't use it on the EXT jack but rather on the send to the front of the amp.  It works great and I haven't had any issues since adding it to my rig.  

Thanks for that information Patrick :)

I guess if I just plug in the Ext Jack to my Laney amps Channel Switch Jack - with no signal wires attached between amp and Helix - and it all works fine then it is worth considering a Hum Eliminator.

With my Laney in 4cm I got hum when I plugged in the USB cable, or when I plugged in the EXT switch jack. (and wen both are in as well!!)

With my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade I got no hum in 4cm, or with the MIDI to change presets, or with USB into my mac either :D

I think the H&K is going to be my gig rig as it just works with the Helix - and it's more controllable anyway - even if it doesn't quite have the same rough edged grit to it's gain tones.