Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Planning on getting FX100. Questions!

CMenezes

Hi new user here.

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting a FX100. I have not yet listened to the unit but will soon.

I want a unit that get me playing the quickest, set it and forget it style.

I demoed some amp sims, BIAS and Amplitube but was not happy with the results. Ok results, but not great. And lots, too much I'd say, fiddling to get usable clean sounds.

I'm after quality clean sounds but also ability to dial a good amount of FX since I'm into Americana, Post-Rock and old Shoegaze stuff (MBV, Ride, etc) altough, as I said, clean sounds (Fender Twin, Roland Chorus) are the most important.

Right now I've got two gibson 335 style guitars, so we are talking humbuckers here if it has any bearing.

I already looked into youtube, line 6 documentation and forum talk so here's some thoughts and questions:

1. Drivers and firmware. Recently I got left holding a paperweight (PRESONUS VSL44) after Presonus craped on the VSL line. It's basically dead, and never reached anywhere near what was promised. Like there were 3 drivers released in 4 years or so, and trust me it wasn't because all was great. Safe to say, Presonus never again. So, I'd hate to be buying into another unit that's dead but doesn't know it yet. I looked in the download section here and was not reassured... It may have been a rocky start. Was it? How Line6 track record on this?

2. How's the direct recording USB functioning? I'll be using the unit mainly for recording at home with headphones because of neighbours and crappy walls. Whenever I can I have an old CUSTOM SOUND Cub15 combo that I can use but most times I have time to do anything at home, it'll have to be headphones/ USB direct. How's everyone doing with the drivers?

3. Clean sounds. Can anyone post some cleans from the FX100 different amps so I get an idea? Guitar only please. USB direct would be great.

4. Saw a review from a guy in youtube that said there was a lag changing presets. Is this a "live with it" thing? Anyone experience it?

5. From what I gather, no MIDI and no Stompbox mode. MIDI well, not ok... but ok. Live with it, probably right? Stompbox mode I mean, glaring omission no? I see that up on ideascale there's some 40 votes so maybe a thing in future firmware?

6. Manual at line didn't get me very excited. If not, a bit suspicious about where this unit's going... About 10 years ago I had a PodXT and remember the manual was very nice and detailed. Not a no no for me, but since everything is now .pdf and all, well, probably take some 10 min doing a better job no? Just saying...

7. The iOS / Android / Bluetooth thing. On the fence. I think it's a good move, but if Line6 is not on its best it can really turn nightmarish. Android is what it is, and iOS with all the Apple updates... We'll see. The app itself I've already installed it in my iPad and iPhone to get myself aquainted and it's not bad. I see some room for improvement especially in the tone search which I think it's the worst part of the app. Not very well done. Signal chain diagram is very clean and easy, that's a good job right there. I'll do a detailed post about the app with all suggestions when can.

8. What do you like about the unit the most? What do you dislike the most? Are you happy with this purchase? I see people here and other places saying this is a toy and other garbage but really couldn't care less. That's not what I'm after. Facts please, people. :)

9. Ability to have various delays and reverbs and chorus is awesome. Was looking for something that could do that and I'm pretty happy with the FX100 way of doing things. Also, the range of FX and amps I think is pretty good. Remember, I have not yet listened to the unit but I have great expectations.

For now that's it. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

It's a lengthy list. What are your top two?

Well, if you read it, points 6, 7 and 9 are mostly my thoughts on what I could find.

The rest of them are easy to respond without requiring you to write some War and Peace on it no? I mean, that is if you want to...

The lengthy might be what are your likes and dislikes about the FX100.

But hey, lets go with 1 and 4.

1. Firmware is quite stable. There are reports of connectivity issues with Bluetooth when using any AMPLIFi/Firehawk product but that is very environment and (iOS) device specific. Some users experience problems, most don't. It's not all in Line 6's hands - stable Bluetooth communications depend on other things, too. The Driver is only for connecting to Windows computers, either for recording purposes or for firmware updates. I'm not aware of any general problems there. No driver required for Mac - it is Core Audio compliant.

4. There is always a lag changing presets with any guitar processor. This was more noticeable with the early firmware but has been improved in the current firmware. Whether or not it's an issue is a very personal thing - depends on your playing style. Based on current problem reports most users do not have an issue with this.

(FYI.... It took me about 15 minutes to research and (I hope) properly answer these two questions. That's why I was hesitant to tackle all 9. I don't have an hour to spend on any one response.)

Thanks for answering.

In point 1, you missed part of it. I'd like to know if this isn't some unit that's gonna get push to end the end of line when developing drivers, firmware, etc. Because if you research the net thoroughly like I did, nobody's talking about this unit and it's what, 2 years since it came out? I mean, almost zero posts anywhere else but here. In youtube there's not a great deal of videos and most of them are just marketting blurb from Sweetwater, Anderton's and the like. User reviews, far and few. Add to that the fact I'm seeing these units pop up often in second hand sites like gumtree, well, it raises a red flag. I hope you can understand...

Like I said I've been burned with the Presonus thing. I value my money, it was hard earned and I will not be able to spend this amount for quite a while, so I'm sorry if I come on a little strong but I can't be stuck with some end of line, discontinued, faulty product again. I'm just taking the time to make sure of that.

Still, good to know that current releases are stable.

Regarding point 4, I do understand there's always a lag when changing presets but like I said saw on youtube a user review stating that it was really bad, but because he didn't present any hard evidence, I thought I might as well just ask. I was hoping a lot more people would respond so I could get a feel of the unit but it seems around here things are quiet. Don't know if that's a good sign.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm test driving the unit at a local store. I'll be able to see how it does with an amp and headphones, although it won't say much about the quality of clean tones through USB direct recording.

I'm almost sold on the unit really. I like the app a lot although as I said it could be better, but I' say it's like 90% there.

Can't find fault with the amps and FX choice wise, but as I said above there's not much unbiased info around about it.

You guys at Line6 should do a lengthy youtube video showing off the amps and FX through USB direct. Just a suggestion.

I am just worried You guys discontinue this soon and I'll be stuck with it. I'd like to see some stuff introduced in the future like stompbox mode, reduced MIDI capabilities or even a Windows App. Getting this unit to work with Android and iOS was a good move, no doubt, but reducing it to those two OS is not smart, turns this good move into a bad one. If my phone/tablet breaks how can I enjoy the whole functionality the unit has to offer?! That defeats the whole thing right?

I really don't need a timetable or anything but I'd like to be reassured this is not another PRESONUS driver a year kinda thing, while users are hung out to dry. As I said I'm almost sold on it. Sorry if I came on to strong.

You guys at Line6 should do a lengthy youtube video showing off the amps and FX through USB direct. Just a suggestion.

I am just worried You guys discontinue this soon and I'll be stuck with it.....

Just so you know, I'm not one of 'you guys at Line 6'. I'm not employed by them at all. I volunteer time here like all other users in this forum. That's why I feel no need to spend an hour, or any time at all, responding to any given question. Maybe some other users will respond, maybe not.

I'm happy to spend the time - it's a hobby of mine. Hopefully it helped you some.

Oh sorry. I saw Line6 Expert there just thought you were part of a forum support team.

Sure, you're not obliged to anything. Again, if I came on too strong... To tell you the truth I was thinking that kind of "have no time for it" was pretty strange from a forum rep but now I get it. No harm done. Thanks again answering. Friends? :)

.... Friends? :)

Of course. No harm done.

I was just trying to let you know why you weren't getting any response after you asked about it. This is a user forum. Everyone here is here by choice - it's nobody's job to respond to anything. A list of so many questions that you can't see them all on a single screen is a bit of a disincentive. Frankly, I didn't even take the time to read them all before I asked you to prioritize and minimize.

Perhaps others are doing the same. I see that nobody else has appeared.

Well, I guess you might be right. Ironically, my aim was to give the most info so people reading would have no need to fish for details and avoid the long list of "what kind of music do you play?" "Do you need this/that?" and similar.

Hope someone else chimes in. If not, well, you get all the thanks :)

Regarding lag time, the lag time is a bit longer if you have the AMPLIFi Remote app open.

Regarding USB recording, if you jam with headphones or studio monitors, the USB recording will sound the same on playback assuming same output levels.

IMHO dialing tones is easy. If you played with any of the xt or X3 series, it is very similar.

Where is the FX100 going? Who knows. It is the first effects processor from Line6 (or anyone I think) that uses an iOS or Android device as an editor, there is no pc editor. So I personally view it as a proof a principal. Case in point, the Firehawk.

What do I like about the unit the most? I own a PODxt, the FX100 is based on the same algorithms, but for some reason the tones sound better. I also have a UX2 and to me the Line Outs on the FX100 feel hotter than the UX2.

What do I like about it the least?

It's not a Firehawk :(

Since I use it almost exclusively for home recording, lag time and lack off stomp mode are not important to me.

I've had my FX100 for a year, I could gig with it but I have other gear for peformance.  I just purchased a 150, if I had the floorboard I could gig with it too, but not why I purchased it.  If you want "latest and greatest", you'll need to get a Helix IMO.  AMPLIFi seems to be reasoably supported IMO. As stated above, it sounds good give the model version (XT / X3) of the software...would be nice to get HD models, but that would need better processors, memory and cost more...so POD HD / FirehawkFX.

Timelag is acceptable; though I hear a loud noise if I have any sound playing when I switch presets.

I use mostly cleans, the quality of the sounds are good, but not state of the art, neither is the responsiveness...if you're looking for tube amp feel, get a Helix. ;)

MIDI - FX100 is not designed for advanced floor control; AMPLIFi 75/100 with shortboard or new advanced board, POD HD, FirehawkFX or Helix...

I really dig the Control mobile app; it works great for me, and it is the easiest modeler I've ever used for creating and editing tones.

IMO/IME/YMMV

Thanks for answerinf rsm0.

Well, I mean, regarding MIDI I wouldn't even ask for "advanced" control, just minimal stuff like the abcd stomps sending a midi on/off. Nothing advanced about it but sure would make the FX100 more useful...right?

Regarding the clean tones, have not yet gotten the time to go to the store and in truth kinda having cold feet about this purchase. The Helix is galaxies away from my purse and the Firehawk, well, worlds away right now, hence I was thinking with the little money I've got right now, if I really do need this.

So, was about to pull the plug on it when today I decided to try the POD Farm software. I heard somewhere the FX100 is based on this. Can anyone kindly confirm? Because, I gave a try to the Blackface Lux amp the demo has and I was very pleased with the results. Did a comparison with the tones I got from tweedling with Amplitube for a while and with a condenser recording of my little combo and it came out on top. Finally some usable clean tones. And in just a few moments of turning the amp knobs, just like a real amp. I still prefer a real Twin, but for recording purposes it is quite good.

Can anyone confirm the FX100 and the POD Farm are alike? If so, I think my interest is renewed.

cMenezes- Are you still shopping the Amplifi Fx100/Firehawk line? If so let me tell you they are fantastic. The key to these units is wireless. At their price point they already do what other units are still trying to do. Great tones you can change on the fly using iOs or Android. I use the Amplifi Fx100 live and plan on moving to the either the Firehawk or Helix depending on what's in the wallet. I wish I had more time to answer your specific question but I'm headed to work. I will try to get back to you later when I have more time. These are great units but are better suited to the techies. Do be advised I know nothing about midi so I'm not much help there. I've never needed that much control. Take care.

... The key to these units is wireless.... I use the Amplifi Fx100 live and plan on moving to the either the Firehawk or Helix depending on what's in the wallet.....

There may be another consideration for you, other than price, with Helix. It does not operate wirelessly with iOS/Android devices. Firehawk does.

There may be another consideration for you, other than price, with Helix. It does not operate wirelessly with iOS/Android devices. Firehawk does.

I never realized the Helix wasn't wireless but then again I really haven't looked at it that close due to the price. I kinda figured it though since it had its own screen.

I could gig with my FX100 or 150.  I'm finding it very simple and intuitive to dial in tones.  The biggest adjustment for me vs my current modelers for actual playing (not practice) is having to switch to using patch mode.  With my current modeler of choice, I can switch between patch and pedal board modes, which lets me turn various effects on/off, assign various parameter control to footswitches, etc.  and the sound / feel are better since it's based on newer modeling technology.

That said,  I'm creating patches with my 150 which I plan to copy to my FX100 which allows me to have direct access to all the banks/patches using the foot controls...I really can't justify getting a shortboard for the 150...but still trying to sell some gear to fund and make room for a Helix.  I could / will use the FX100 for small gigs, open mics etc.

At the pricepoint for AMPLIFi, I don't think there's much out there that competes (not mentioning competitor products here).  But that comes down to what you need, what you hear, and how you use these products.

• 1 month later...

Hello......

Simple Question..!!... Can I play alone with this pedal...?? Just Plug in.and start..???

I know everything regarding bluetooth and the App..... but I want to be sure that I'll don't need a pc, table or phone to play with it.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I use mine on sundays and practice with it all week. at church i run it into the fx return of my tube amp. I have presets with the cab sims turned off for that use.

at home i use the "cab on" presets into my scarlett 2i2 into reaper. works great either way.

Have my samsung 10" tablet BT'd for quick changes and for the tuner. handy for both