Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used my Helix after owning two days for a four hour gig.

maxnew40

I have used a HD500 into a L2 and also out to the P.A. for a few years prior to buying the Helix.

My Helix arrived Wednesday and I had a gig on Friday night. To speed things up I bought the Standard patch set from Glenn DeLaune.

I play in band that plays songs mostly from the 60s and 70s, so I chose 3 of his patches to work with, Clean, JCM 800, and Acoustic. Both Clean and JCM 800 are set up to switch between two amps and have a drive, lead boost and several effects. I set them up to select the guitar on my variax, added a wah and tweaked the gain, and in one case changed to a different amp. I ended up with about 6 patches that used for the night.

It must say I am very impressed with this over my old HD500. It just feels more real. The lighted scribble strips made it easy for me to use it even though I had only spent a few hours with it before the gig. I could see what each switch was for with a quick glance down at the Helix. 

I would like to figure out if there is a way to set the Helix so that when I switch to a different preset that it loads the preset up and then switches modes so that all the pedals are available without me hitting the mode switch (The I could hit mode when I want to change presets). I like to set up a preset so that I can play a whole song without switching to a different preset

-Max

You can just leave it in stomp box mode. When you hit bank up/down it shows the patch names and reverts to stomp box mode when you select one.

This might need the latest firmware, the first thing I did when I got mine was update the firmware so not sure what version it was introduced

Mike

I also used my Helix for my cover band gig after owning only 6 days. I also bought Glen's patches and used them as a fast template to create my own tones. Make sure you have all the lastest updates including the on under the Beta tab or not all the patches will work right. If you look at Glenn's bogner and three channel amp you will see how to incorperate multiple amps into one preset. You can also change preset and manual mode to may diffent options through the global foot switch settings. You can control up to 10 effects at a time. You can also split the preset mode to show 4 presets and 4 effects at the sample time. The patches I created sounded fantastic at the gig. I ran direct stereo into the board. Thanks to what I learned from those patches I was able to incorerate a lead boost and clean amp on every preset.

I also used my Helix for my cover band gig after owning only 6 days. I also bought Glen's patches and used them as a fast template to create my own tones. Make sure you have all the lastest updates including the on under the Beta tab or not all the patches will work right. If you look at Glenn's bogner and three channel amp you will see how to incorperate multiple amps into one preset. You can also change preset and manual mode to may diffent options through the global foot switch settings. You can control up to 10 effects at a time. You can also split the preset mode to show 4 presets and 4 effects at the sample time. The patches I created sounded fantastic at the gig. I ran direct stereo into the board. Thanks to what I learned from those patches I was able to incorerate a lead boost and clean amp on every preset.

Yep I updated to 1.10 the day after the gig and I have Glenn's artist patches now. They make a great launching point for customization for sure.. Still have a grin from the new rig at  the gig Friday! :-)

-Max

Yep I updated to 1.10 the day after the gig and I have Glenn's artist patches now. They make a great launching point for customization for sure.. Still have a grin from the new rig at  the gig Friday! :-)

-Max

Me too! The great part is we are just scratching the surface. I did learn that I need to add more low end to the tones. I use studio speakers and they give the impression of more low end than translates to the PA

So did you guys use Glenn's patches live, or did you just use them as templates to create your own patches? I'm interested in his patches also, and would like to just tweek them a bit and use them like they are.

So did you guys use Glenn's patches live, or did you just use them as templates to create your own patches? I'm interested in his patches also, and would like to just tweek them a bit and use them like they are.

I tweaked his patches a bit for my gig. I mostly used his Clean and JCM-800 patches. There was too much delay in the tones for my classic rock gig and I tamed the amount of gain on the JCM-800 to better fit 60s and 70s rock. With the dual amps and drive pedals in those patches I was able to cover a lot of ground with one patch.

-Max

• Upvote 1

I have used Glenn's patches as a learning guide and as templates for live work or final patches.  I have also the factory patches as templates and in some cases there are Glenn's and factory patches unmodified that made it straight onto our new album (Elephants of Scotland)