Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help me with this MIDI programming

suckamc

My Helix controls an H9. I want one switch to change the H9 to preset 1, another switch to change to preset 2, and if neither is on, I'd like EITHER (1) the H9 to be bypassed or preferably (2) the Helix effects loop that the H9 is IN to be bypassed.

Maybe this is because I don't understand MIDI very well, but I know I could just have the Helix's loop permanently on and send the BYPASS command to the H9, but I don't see how to have a single switch send multiple MIDI commands (namely, the PC command to change to [e.g.] preset 1, the command to UN-bypass the H9, and [upon turning the switch to the off position] the command to bypass the H9).

Alternatively, if I could just get two different Helix switches to turn the Helix effects loop on/off (that is, 2 switches controlling the same exact effect in the signal chain), then I'd be set. But I don't think the Helix can do that.

I'd love some help with this!

Hmm.. I just been looking at my Helix and I think you are right - it is not possible to do exactly what you want.

It looks like you can only attach one function to each footswitch in controller mode.  What you want to be able to do is to have two:

1) MIDI Prog change

2) MIDI cc toggle to activate/bypass the H9

Yes you could get round this by using the Helix's Loop on/off on a footswitch but as you say you can only attach this to one switch.

The only option I can think of is:

Just have a 3rd button that activates/bypasses the H9 (or turns of/on the Helix loop

Hopefully Line6 will release a scene mode soon which would sort this out.

Certainly if you could use more than one button you can do what you want. But if you must use only one, or do any sort of corner-case MIDI "if/then" stuff, you might want to check out a "MIDI Solutions Event Processor." Its a small programmable black box that will send specified MIDI based on received MIDI. It's spendy at $130, but I've had one in my MIDI toolbox for years and its come in handy for those odd "I wish I could do this" situations. The programming editor is available online so you could check it out without buying to make sure it would do what you want. (if you're handy and wise with idle time, you could build a raspberry pi or arduino circuit for much cheaper.)

Certainly if you could use more than one button you can do what you want. But if you must use only one, or do any sort of corner-case MIDI "if/then" stuff, you might want to check out a "MIDI Solutions Event Processor." Its a small programmable black box that will send specified MIDI based on received MIDI. It's spendy at $130, but I've had one in my MIDI toolbox for years and its come in handy for those odd "I wish I could do this" situations. The programming editor is available online so you could check it out without buying to make sure it would do what you want. (if you're handy and wise with idle time, you could build a raspberry pi or arduino circuit for much cheaper.)

That's interesting. It might answer the limitation in controling my JVM. Have you used it with the Helix? By reading the online info it needs to be powered by the Helix to work. The voltage on the power pin need 5V. In the list of device not able to power the Event Processor" I noticed , BOSS GT-10, Axe FX, ...

My Helix controls an H9. I want one switch to change the H9 to preset 1, another switch to change to preset 2, and if neither is on, I'd like EITHER (1) the H9 to be bypassed or preferably (2) the Helix effects loop that the H9 is IN to be bypassed.

Maybe this is because I don't understand MIDI very well, but I know I could just have the Helix's loop permanently on and send the BYPASS command to the H9, but I don't see how to have a single switch send multiple MIDI commands (namely, the PC command to change to [e.g.] preset 1, the command to UN-bypass the H9, and [upon turning the switch to the off position] the command to bypass the H9).

Alternatively, if I could just get two different Helix switches to turn the Helix effects loop on/off (that is, 2 switches controlling the same exact effect in the signal chain), then I'd be set. But I don't think the Helix can do that.

I'd love some help with this!

nope, not possible at the moment to assign on/off status of a block to multiple switches. so you may have to do wih one switch turning on the loop as well as send a PC message to the H9 and another switch to change to another preset on the H9. Hopefully, future updates will eliminate the need to do it this way

pilottes --- I just tested it with my Helix, and it powered up without problems. FYI, I've only run into one piece of equipment that wouldn't power it (can't remember what it was), but that is something to be wary of. If you have specific items you want to know about, the developer is very responsive to questions.

pilottes --- I just tested it with my Helix, and it powered up without problems. FYI, I've only run into one piece of equipment that wouldn't power it (can't remember what it was), but that is something to be wary of. If you have specific items you want to know about, the developer is very responsive to questions.

Excellent! It might be exactly what is needed while waiting for L6 and a MIDI update. Thanks

I have one of those too. It's invaluable for doing odd things - my current favourite is using it to simulate a non-latching CC toggle' from a footswitch on the Helix

It's also great for doing SysEx stuff, with another rig I used it to turn Guitar-to-MIDI on/off on a VG99 from a footswitch.

The other thing I added for the Helix is a Voodoo Lab control switcher to give four isolated on/off switches. Much better than the inbuilt amp control

Mike