Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal issue goes 0%-100%-0%

philipjoyce

hi guys, i just got a pair of morley M2 passive expression pedals that i plan to use with my Helix. 
Problem is when i try to assign one to the volume pedal block for example and i use the learn controller function. the pedal goes from 0 to 100 and back to 0. 
i saw on a previous post someone rewired their volume pedal to work, but the Morley doesnt have a traditional pot but rather a slider inside, now it still has 3 poles, I've tried jumping the ring and sleeve together but that didn't work.
i've tried it with a standard mono patch cable and also a stereo cable, all produce the same result. 
0-100-0 . 

Anyone any ideas what i can do to get them working ? 

Great! Expression pedals are all over the map, and some simply aren't compatible with Helix at all. Glad you got it sussed out.  :)

Thanks, I've definitely voided the warranty on the pedals but id rather they work with Helix then worry about the warranty 

Just wanna share this, its the Helix Tricks compilation from the massive TGP thread and somewhere in it, there are diagrams on how to modify different expression pedals to work with Helix. Credit goes to Flyingscool from TGP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ixrfz0lb8oiw6t/Helix%20Tricks%20160319.docx?dl=0

Thats a great resource, thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

heres a pic of the inside of the Morley M2. I've circled on the slider where you need to remove the connection on lug 3 and connect it to lug 1 which i marked with an arrow...

After you did the mod, did you just run a regular cable or a trs cable? Also one other question, do you use this for wah? I really want one for wah. I have the all in one unit and I don't like the sweep of the built-in pedal. It feels food foe volume and whammy but not wah. If this works, I'm ordering one like in 10 minutes!! LOL! Thanks for the help in advance!!

this needs to be pinned I have to repost it every month or so......

Here is something I posted before for anyone who wants to mod your EXP of what ever brand.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:22 AM

Wiring.

Most potentiometers have three connectors; Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, and Wiper. Amazingly, there are multiple different ways these can be wired, all achieving largely the same result, which means yet more variations for expression pedals. The most common expression pedal wiring is to connect the pot to a 1/4″ stereo (TRS) instrument jack as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Tip

CCW —– Ring

An alternative is with the tip and the ring reversed as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Ring

CCW —– Tip

Yet a third way is as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Tip

CCW —– Tip

In this last one, the wiper and CCW are bonded together and connected to the tip and the ring is unused. This requires the use of a mono (TS) cable such as a regular guitar cable, in place of the stereo (TRS) cable used in the other two. These three are the most common that we see in expression pedals, but we keep finding more. Sometimes a dual gang potentiometer is wired in parallel to create a single pot with half the resistance. For example you may see a dual 20K Ohm potentiometer bridged into a single 10K. In this case the pedal will function the same as if it were a native 10K Ohm single pot.

OK so now we know we can do this:

The third way is the Line 6 way. (after some google searches I found this out)

This also alleviated the backwards operation problem and the 0 - 100 - 0 problem...

which means after the conversion you don't need to use TRS cables anymore you can use TS cables. Also now with either the 12k ohm pot in the one and the 10k ohm pot in the other I get full 0% to 100% on the Helix control.

here is what I did to make mine compatible so there would be no need for re configuring. the Potenteiometer on this 1 is 10k

gcmission1.jpg

Here is before

gcmission2.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

also I jumped out the back on the side pot that is for changing the "throw" of it to disable it and not doing it made it have issues when you adjusted it it would not go back to full throw. (If that makes any scents to you)

gcmission.jpg

My other one

missionEPEV1.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

missionEPEV.jpg

this model had a duel 24k pot and I soldered each connection 1,2 and 3 to 1,2 and 3 (you see it better in the picture above) making it a single 12k pot

missionEPEV2.jpg

This can be done with a soldering iron with no extra solder. just heat up the green wire pull it off and put it on with the red and heat it up to connect it.

After you did the mod, did you just run a regular cable or a trs cable? Also one other question, do you use this for wah? I really want one for wah. I have the all in one unit and I don't like the sweep of the built-in pedal. It feels food foe volume and whammy but not wah. If this works, I'm ordering one like in 10 minutes!! LOL! Thanks for the help in advance!!

i had made up TRS patch cables before i got the Morleys so i used those i believe that a regular mono TS cable would work fine

i like the travel on the morley pedals, i have a bad horsie and and little alligator so was familiar with the feel and travel

• 6 years later...

I had this problem exactly. Two dunlop mini vol/exp pedals and they were going to zero to full to zero (0%-100%-0%).

I followed these directions below and it worked no problem. 

Also the thought of opening these pedals and fiddling with soldering after spending all that money was just not an awesome feeling. 

- i have a the Y cable that has two ends "ring" and "tip"  looks like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STP201--hosa-stp-201-insert-cable-1-4-inch-trs-to-dual-1-4-inch-ts-3-foot

- i went in and inverted the polarity on the Ring and Tip settings in Global settings. This felt wrong/weird, and i don't understand it and frankly didn't want to at the time. 

- opened the dunlops (4 screws, took 1-2 minutes), flipped the tip/ring switch to "ring" 

- same exact steps for both (I didn't make the settings opposite for each pedal or do things that felt right) 

- closed up. all worked. 

- pre-condition for it to work is settings it global settings are set for both expression pedals. one ring/one tip

• Upvote 1

You don’t need to mod the  pedal.  You just need a different patch cable.  My pedals (a Moog and a Valeton) work with a TRS in the Exp-2 plug of my HXFX, but in exp-1 they need a TRS-TS. With either a TS or a TRS I get exactly the same 0-100-0 behavior that you describe. So, in exp-1 I use one of these Y cables. TRS from pedal to Y female jack, then the tip plug of the Y into the HXFX, with the ring plug hanging loose, or cut off. Or, you could cut the ring wire on a TRS cable.