Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Pedal Problem

ddufour

So last night was the first night using the Helix with the band.

One big thing I noticed was the volume pedal would go to zero

with the heel down, but as soon as I started to go towards toe

down, the volume was at full volume, so it was either all the way

off or all the way on. Figured it might need calibrating but I see

it calibrates itself. How do I get around this?

a few questions.

1. What does the % do?

"Joystick" ovet to the volume block and see % at bottom of screen.

2. Where in the chain is the volume block?

If early and using high gain, volume will jump up very quickly.

At work now so I can't see the Helix but I always put the volume 1st in the chain.

I know it reads 0% at heel position and 100% at toe. This morning when I plugged

it back in at home, the pedal seemed to be working correctly, but last night it was

very sensitive, almost useless. Did my unplugging it and plugging it back in make

it calibrate itself?

So last night was the first night using the Helix with the band.

One big thing I noticed was the volume pedal would go to zero

with the heel down, but as soon as I started to go towards toe

down, the volume was at full volume, so it was either all the way

off or all the way on. Figured it might need calibrating but I see

it calibrates itself. How do I get around this?

May sound like a dumb question, but were there any really bright lights that could have been shining on the Helix? The sensor for the on-board pedal is optical, so there is a small chance that it could be getting interfered with. But it seems that if that were the case, the pedal would just not register at all.

Logarithmic was the fix. I don't know why some were set to linear,

don't even know the difference between the 2 but it worked!

Thanks

Although there are some electronics gurus on this forum who could give a more technical explanation and there are some great posts on the web, essentially the logarithmic taper provides a more gradual, musical, and usable travel on the expression pedal for volume and many other assigned parameters. You will notice for instance that volume swells sound much better on the logarithmic setting.

• 4 years later...

Same problem with my helix. Pushing the pedal to 100%, volume goes up to 100% and then fall down 10 approx. 30%. Pushing pedal to 0%, value goes down to 0% and then goes up to approx 30% as well. Was just in service, operates one hour correctly, now same problem. And no, it not depends of log or linear. Helix in this status useless. Tomorrow I will bring back the Helix to service again for a last chance. Very disappointed. 

I had this same issue with my LT.  Sent it in, they 'fixed' it, new one behaved for about a week, then same issue.  I couldnt get it to read 100% toe down unless my foot was resting on it.  If i lifted my foot, it'd drop anywhere from 3%-12%.  Made it impossible to use the expression pedal to auto engage anything at certain %'s.  Ultimately ended up swapping for the full Helix and havent had a problem since. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi helixers

My volume pedal on my LT is not responding. there is no mechanical damage, it just doesn't change volume when goin up and down. I tried cleaning underneath, installing last working backup, replacing the volume in the chain effect. what else? have a gig tonight and getting nervous. please help, thanks.

18 hours ago, beppepelagio said:

Hi helixers

My volume pedal on my LT is not responding. there is no mechanical damage, it just doesn't change volume when goin up and down. I tried cleaning underneath, installing last working backup, replacing the volume in the chain effect. what else? have a gig tonight and getting nervous. please help, thanks.

buy a cheap exp pedal and use it.