Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10's

Bikedude

I have one back ordered to replace my rack G90 wireless, going minimal. Anyone have one out in the field yet? Andy from L6 had one he was using to demo the Helix, and it looked, and performed so nice, I ordered the thing.

I have one back ordered to replace my rack G90 wireless, going minimal. Anyone have one out in the field yet? Andy from L6 had one he was using to demo the Helix, and it looked, and performed so nice, I ordered the thing.

Definitely going to pick one of these up. I have used other manufacturers' crappy versions of this type of implementation of wireless (no battery powered belt pack required). Even though the quality and the wireless tech were not impressive, not requiring a cable running to a belt pack is incredibly convenient. Additionally, I have always found the cord running out to the belt pack to be a primary point of failure with the old style wireless units (the jacks on the belt pack and the connecting cables go bad). It appears Line6 has managed to make an affordable model with good modern wireless technology, add to that that it actually recharges the battery from the base unit. Great idea and a good place to park the transmitter during breaks! Better mechanical design less prone to failure, easier to use, and green and economical -- wireless units eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am all over this thing when it comes out next month (hopefully).

• Upvote 1

Yes, and I'm sick of going thru batteries. Between my G90 belt pack, and Shure IEM (9volts), I'm spending a small fortune. I'm sick of 2 belt packs on my strap. I've had the 'guitar bug' but that is old technology, and would cut in an out during a set. Between the 16 Led Par Cans with wireless control, the IEM's and other various stage interference I need something reliable, and the G90 delivers. I just hope the G10 is as foolproof.

G10 is really cool and dead simple to use, but it's important to understand that it's designed for home, practice spaces, and smaller venues. Don't expect to run around a big theater with no dropouts. Also, ease of use was paramount, at the expense of manual channel selection. So if two band members each have a G10, everything needs to be powered up and paired in the right order, otherwise there's a chance of transmitters pairing to the wrong receiver. You can run multiple G10s simultaneously if you're careful, but it's intended to be used solo.

For larger venues and tours, we strongly recommend G30/50/55/70/75/90. I swear it's not an upsell thing.

The two things that excite me the most about the G10 are the convenience and that it's digital.  

I'm a home player and I currently use a Samson SR-2, which I've owned since 1991.  It goes through 9V batteries fairly quickly but works fine with rechargeable batteries so that's not really a big concern.  The biggest downfall of my system is interference.  Just playing in my house I have to know which areas to avoid and the best places to stand.

G10 is really cool and dead simple to use, but it's important to understand that it's designed for home, practice spaces, and smaller venues. Don't expect to run around a big theater with no dropouts. Also, ease of use was paramount, at the expense of manual channel selection. So if two band members each have a G10, everything needs to be powered up and paired in the right order, otherwise there's a chance of transmitters pairing to the wrong receiver. You can run multiple G10s simultaneously if you're careful, but it's intended to be used solo.

For larger venues and tours, we strongly recommend G30/50/55/70/75/90. I swear it's not an upsell thing.

I currently have been using the G90 for a couple of years. Zero issues, except batteries. I don't stray too far from my mic onstage, and the only other wireless would be the Shure IEM's. Could the Shure interfere with the G10? I'm thinking not. My only reason for the G10 would be simplifying my rig. Wouldn't have to bring the rack with KPA/G90.

I've been using these digital systems since the X2 Wireless days. Great products. I used a LiPo 9V in the X2, and I also use a G50 with Eneloop AA rechargeables. They work ok on a small stage without the external antenna, but with the antennae attached they go huge distances.

The G10 looks interesting. Could be good for small coffee shop gigs and playing at home.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2016 at 7:53 AM, jeremyn said:

The G10 looks interesting. Could be good for small coffee shop gigs and playing at home.

Those are my primary uses, and it's worked extremely well in those applications. 

I used it at a fill-in gig in a band situation outdoors a couple of years ago just after I bought it, and later heard a couple of strange things in recordings of show. I also remembered hearing those things while on the 'stage' playing, but could not conclusively say that the sounds were coming from my instrument. Afterward, one of the other band members, who's somewhat of a Line 6 critic suspected that it was the G10 possibly being interfered-with due to its living in the heavily-populated 2.4gHz band with cellphones and other electronics. I don't know. 

22 hours ago, cbrillow said:

Those are my primary uses, and it's worked extremely well in those applications. 

I used it at a fill-in gig in a band situation outdoors a couple of years ago just after I bought it, and later heard a couple of strange things in recordings of show. I also remembered hearing those things while on the 'stage' playing, but could not conclusively say that the sounds were coming from my instrument. Afterward, one of the other band members, who's somewhat of a Line 6 critic suspected that it was the G10 possibly being interfered-with due to its living in the heavily-populated 2.4gHz band with cellphones and other electronics. I don't know. 

That sort of interference - picking up stray audio signals - is basically not possible with these sorts of digital systems. The receiver either receives the digital signal so it can piece the audio together or it doesn't. Basically, if there's interference, the signal just drops out. It's not like the old analog systems where the sound quality changes based on the strength of the signal.

• 1 year later...

I just got my G10S and immediately plugged it in to make sure everything was charged. It's been 2 days and I have yet to see a green light. The transmitter shows a faint pulsating red light when I unplug it, turn off the power and restart from the beginning. What is the best plan at this point?

I apologize if this isn't terribly responsive or helpful, but I would honestly advise you to return it and buy something else. I liked my G10 when I bought it in 2017 and used it at home for practicing and at a couple of gigs where I sat in as a substitute guitarist. I thought it worked ok, but a recording of the show had unexplained bursts of noise in a couple of places that could have been from my guitar, but it wasn't conclusive. The band's 'leader' commented that his previous experiences with Line 6 2.4gHz wireless devices weren't good. Still I gave my G10 the benefit of the doubt.

After that, I went through a period where I didn't use it for quite a while, and when I did, it started to act up -- most of the times these days, after I've charged it, I can plug it in and it will not have an output, despite the green 'connected' LED being illuminated. Most of the time, fiddling around, plugging and unplugging, flicking the microswitch several times, will eventually rectify the no-sound situation, but not always.

I have not updated the firmware, after reading complaints about the reduced playing time, which is the best case for those who did that. Worst case is, exceptionally short battery life or bricked device.

I would not purchase this product again.