Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 as channel controller for Laney IRT Studio

d_sic3

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed already but I'm desperate.

My type of music requires me to change from clean to dirty channel more often.  The clean channel has delays and such and mostly the dirt is just straight up.  Lead channel needs to have delay and reverb.  POD on pedalboard mode and connected via 4CM.

The problem is, every time there is a need for me to change channels on the IRT, I have to tap dance to be able to stomp effects that's in the POD.  I wanted to use the POD as a channel controller for the IRT if possible.  So that I can set the POD to ABC mode and just stomp in one footswitch to access the clean channel + effects (in the POD) then another foot switch to access the dirt channel.  Makes it easier that way.

I'm thinking of using the MIDI controller in the POD but I'm not sure if it's compatible as the IRT's footswitch is kinda different.

Need your help if there is another way to hook this two so that it will support my needs.  Thanks in advance.

Laney-IRT-Studio-rear--big.jpg

A2962597.jpg

Am I to assume you're using your POD as an effects device and not as a modeling device?  As a modeling device what you're wanting to do is quite simple if you're only using the power amp portion of the Laney.

You are correct.  Only used the POD as an effects device.  Using the IRT's pre-amp and power amp section.

The POD provides a way to sent MIDI commands which can be configured to a given footswitch.  If you have the Laney MIDI definitions for changing channels you can enter the info into a preset using the Edit program, then just connect a standard MIDI cable from the MIDI Out port on the POD to the port on the Laney (assuming it takes standard MIDI input).  This is more an issue of what the Laney provides than what the POD provides.  From the POD perspective it should be simple.

The POD provides a way to sent MIDI commands which can be configured to a given footswitch.  If you have the Laney MIDI definitions for changing channels you can enter the info into a preset using the Edit program, then just connect a standard MIDI cable from the MIDI Out port on the POD to the port on the Laney (assuming it takes standard MIDI input).  This is more an issue of what the Laney provides than what the POD provides.  From the POD perspective it should be simple.

Thanks. I now understand that a MIDI cable and setting the pod to match the definition on the amp is the way to go.

But I'm having trouble understanding how do I set it so that, for example:

FS1 will be the clean channel on the amp then add effects from the POD

FS2 will be the dirt channel on the amp w/o effects from the POD

FS3 will be the lead channel on the amp with a delay from the POD

Your help is very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I can't help you on that.  I don't have any need myself for such operations.  I do know that multiple effects and/or amp model changes can be assigned to a given FS.  Whether that can also include a MIDI sequence in conjunction with those operations is something you'll have to experiment with.  I chose the simple life of the POD as a modeler connected to a FRFR powered speaker.

I just learned from Laney that IRT does not support MIDI.  So I have to get some device that will convert the MIDI signal to a language the IRT understands.  I believe it's called a latch type of foot switch the IRT have.

Now my problem is how to make these devices talk to each other.   :)

I may have to ask for your help again in the future.  I can't thank you enough for helping me out.

Or, alternatively, you could use your Laney as a simple power amp and use the HD500X for it's intended purpose as a modeler and be playing your guitar rather than monkeying around with your rig.  Not only would it simplify your setup, it would reduce your setup/breakdown time at gigs and reduce the possibility of technical problems when you play out.  Just a thought.....

Or, alternatively, you could use your Laney as a simple power amp and use the HD500X for it's intended purpose as a modeler and be playing your guitar rather than monkeying around with your rig.  Not only would it simplify your setup, it would reduce your setup/breakdown time at gigs and reduce the possibility of technical problems when you play out.  Just a thought.....

Been thinking about that either.  But I still love the Laney's preamp tone.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dmsilva and xpack, I resolved the issue using the voodoo labs control switcher.

It converts the 5 pin to be used as midi.  You can download the manual in their website for you to understand it better.

Pretty simple, you hook up the pod midi out to the midi in of the control switcher

Then from the control switcher's multi, you connect a cable to your IRT's FS slot.

I suggest you read the manual as this is a bit blurry.  I don't have the IRT anymore..

Here goes....

You can then setup a midi channel in the POD and check which of those communicates to the control switcher.

I remember, I used CC then tried to press some fs in the POD until the control switcher responded - then I knew that they are already communicating.

I know, it's kind of unorthodox, but it worked anyway. haha

The control switcher only acts as a signal converter.  The only challenge is you need to manually do button combinations on the control switcher to save the midi signal from the POD.  And you also have to ensure that you set the IRT to the proper channel before you save the preset in the control switcher.

You can check some youtube vids on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=control+switcher+midi+amp+commander

I hope this helps.  I'm sorry if I forgot some specifics.

It's not going to work.  See my previous post.  The Laney doesn't use 1/4 in jacks, it has it's own special proprietary jack.

Well, it worked for me.  The VOODOO LABS CONTROL SWITCHER converts the signal from midi to 5-pin...

I used the normal midi cable for both..

(POD midi out to control switcher midi in and control switcher multi out to Laney footswitch)..

If I stomp FS1, Laney changes to clean channel

FS2, Laney changes to rhythm channel

FS3, Laney changes the channel to Lead channel..

You need to press button combinations the control switcher for every patch since it doesn't automatically read the midi signal in the POD.

It's in the manual...

Sadly I don't have the Laney so I can't make a video.. 

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older post, but I figured I would comment if it is helpful to other users. I've been researching this for a Laney Lionheart amp to control by MIDI which has different connections than Laney IRT mentioned. Based on the OP's diagram in their original post, the IRT uses a 5-pin connector that looks like MIDI, but is not. It is just a standard 5-pin DIN connector. This is used by MIDI but is not exclusive to MIDI. The reason they use a 5-pin DIN instead of 1/4 connections is because they are running four channels of switching over one cable to the foot switch. You would still need something like the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher which handles 4 channels of switching. You would then need to connect the MIDI out of whatever controller you are using (POD HD500/HD500x, Helix LT, HX Stomp, etc) to the MIDI in of the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher. From there you would need to use some basic electronics knowledge and some soldering skills and make up a custom Pigtail cable to interface between the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher and the amp. In my case I would need to make a Y cable that goes from two TS 1/4" connectors to a one TRS 1/4" connector. In the case of the IRT based on the diagram above, one would need to have (4) TS 1/4" connectors going into a single 5-pin DIN connector to control all four channels (lead/clean/reverb/boost) on the amp. The 1/4 outs on the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher are relays. One relay per channel, so it is mimicking electrically what a foot switch would do. Then it is just a matter of mapping the correct MIDI commands and channels to a foot switch in the the controlling device  (POD HD500/HD500x, Helix LT, HX Stomp, etc).

• Like 1

Actually a little extra clarification to my post above. I looked a little closer at the connections on the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher and I thought it had MIDI in/out/thru ports, but the third DIN connector is labeled MULTI. Upon looking at a PDF of the manual, this connector combines all the connections from the (4) 1/4 jacks into one connector. So you should be able to more easily use this with the IRT without too much headache. Looking the the pinout above, if you went pin to pin from the MULTI connector on the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to the 5-Pin DIN on the IRT for the foot switch then you should be able to control all four switched controls. The only thing to look out for is the cabling. You cannot just grab a standard MIDI cable for this. The MIDI standard only uses 3 of the 5 pins in the connector. To use this with the Laney IRT, you'd need to find a cable with all 5 conductors or make. In my opinion it might be better to make one, then you can order the control lines in a way where the channels on the Voodoo are in the desired order. In my case with the Lionheart, I would be able to get a 1/4 TRS cable and remove the connector on one end and replace with a 5-Pin DIN connector. The Lionheart has two channels that are switchable (clean/drive & reverb), so in my case I only need three conductors. Hope that helps someone. 

• Like 1