Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I think I have a broken footswitch :(

njglover

I don't normally use the top row of footswitches for anything other than switching presets, but last night I thought I'd mess around with some of the factory sounds and I noticed that the footswitch second from the left on the top row (footswitch 2) is not working right. Sometimes when I push it it doesn't toggle, other times it does but then it toggles right back off. I can hold it down and if I move my foot a little bit it will switch, sometimes on then off then on then off... I can hear it physically clicking, so I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software issue. Has anyone else experienced this? My nearest repair shop is probably 40 miles from me...

It could potentially be just a dirty switch, I suppose, as it's not a switch I use regularly. But the rest of that row is fine. It does seem like if I use the switch a bunch (as in just click it rapidly) the issue lessens, so that makes me wonder.

It could potentially be just a dirty switch, I suppose, as it's not a switch I use regularly. But the rest of that row is fine. It does seem like if I use the switch a bunch (as in just click it rapidly) the issue lessens, so that makes me wonder.

i have pretty much an identical issue

as my Helix is only 8 days old I've sent it back to the dealer. unfortunately theres going to be a long wait for a replacement.

Nooooo! Just about to order the Helix when a dreaded Footswitch thread appears.I've kept 2 HD500X units in rotation because like clockwork every 8-10 months a Footswitch or three starts to not work or become inconsistent. That's about every 64-80 shows for me. I never play them other than onstage and I am not that tough on them. Line 6 has been fantastic in turning around my repairs! I hope this isn't a recurring issue but I suppose I could just keep one of my X's around for backup/rotation. I've gotten tremendous tones out of the HD, can't wait to see what the Helix adds.....

Nooooo! 

I second that..

"Nooooooo!"

I don't want to think about this - but the other day as I was going through patches I was pressing a FS (not sure which) trying to select an effect and it seemed like it would turn /  on then off right away as I pressed the switch - took about 6 attempts to get it to engage.

Methinks I had better check the switches out properly now :(

Hmm got mine a couple of days ago but i have never broke a footswitch on any of my previous Line6 pedals all FBV midiboards but that is probably because i use it 99% of the time in the homestudio and almost never live..

I notice that i have to toggle a bit when i assign presets to footswitches

Not just "lightly" touch on the switch" as they say in the videos i sincerely hope it is beacuse it is new and not that the switches are bad.

I don't normally use the top row of footswitches for anything other than switching presets, but last night I thought I'd mess around with some of the factory sounds and I noticed that the footswitch second from the left on the top row (footswitch 2) is not working right. Sometimes when I push it it doesn't toggle, other times it does but then it toggles right back off. I can hold it down and if I move my foot a little bit it will switch, sometimes on then off then on then off... I can hear it physically clicking, so I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software issue. Has anyone else experienced this? My nearest repair shop is probably 40 miles from me...

This is probably a stupid question, but does it happen on other presets as well? Like if you assign a effect or parameter to the same switch?

The reason I ask is just to make sure that it isn't set to momentary - like the effect is on when you hold the switch down, and then it turns off when you release your foot. If it happens in other situations just open a support ticket with Line 6. They'll take good care of you!

Best of luck!

Hey, folks, take some chill pills ;)

Helix seems to be almost 'unbreakable', and there are obviously very few users

that hat bad luck and got a faulty unit (they mostly complain about squeaking pedals :P ).

Tell you what's really bad: Think I got a broken tooth :unsure:...

This is probably a stupid question, but does it happen on other presets as well? Like if you assign a effect or parameter to the same switch?

The reason I ask is just to make sure that it isn't set to momentary - like the effect is on when you hold the switch down, and then it turns off when you release your foot. If it happens in other situations just open a support ticket with Line 6. They'll take good care of you!

Best of luck!

Nah, they aren't set to momentary. I thought that at first, too, but no such luck. This has only been happening for me since the latest firmware update as far as I can tell, so it's pooooossible it's related.

Hey, folks, take some chill pills ;)

Helix seems to be almost 'unbreakable', and there are obviously very few users

that hat bad luck and got a faulty unit (they mostly complain about squeaking pedals :P ).

Tell you what's really bad: Think I got a broken tooth :unsure:...

When you bite down on it, does it switch to chewing mode or remain in gastric bypass?

Have you rebooted?  Are you on the latest operating system?  

Are you aware that with El Capitan 10.11.4, your lips sometimes lose communication with your gums?  

I would open a ticket.  No one here's going to help you.

• Upvote 1

When you bite down on it, does it switch to chewing mode or remain in gastric bypass?

Have you rebooted?  Are you on the latest operating system?  

Are you aware that with El Capitan 10.11.4, your lips sometimes lose communication with your gums?  

I would open a ticket.  No one here's going to help you.

It was an apple :mellow:

Dentist found in this forum; told me to be brave :lol:

Nah, they aren't set to momentary. I thought that at first, too, but no such luck. This has only been happening for me since the latest firmware update as far as I can tell, so it's pooooossible it's related.

Well, it was a long shot! Maybe backup your stuff and do a factory reset thing? who knows if something when wrong during the firmware update?

I'm wondering if static discharge from the shoes off the carpet can damage these newer touch switches on Helix? Surely they tested that in pre-production... Then again Llnl designed stuff for other climates that did rather poorly, all because some engineers heads there are stuck in the Cali clouds so to speak.

Shoes mostly have rubber soles, so there shouldn't be any static discharge. I do play without shoes on frequently, though...

I have done a factory reset and cleared everything, then I reinstalled the latest firmware, reloaded the factory presets, and reloaded all my stuff. Sadly, I did not realize that it doesn't attach the numerical order to the IR files, so I'm probably gonna have to fiddle a bit with a couple of my presets... That's alright, I know generally which one it was, just not sure exactly which mic...

Practice tonight, so I will play with it and let you know. Though I suspect it will still be there. I've noticed that if I push the switch purposefully it's usually fine, but I can, for example, push it all the way, let it up until just before it clicks again, then push it back down and it will still trigger. So I suspect it's just a faulty switch. Not hard to replace, I'm sure, I just don't have the time to send it off right now...

So... nope, not fixed. Sigh... On the plus side, I got some more time to actually mess with the Helix through my FRFR (I live in an apartment so normally it's just headphones) and, since I had to giddle with IRs anyway, I discovered that actually I prefer some of the built in cabs over the IRs I obsessed over.

What are your favourite cabs njglover?

The one I use the most is the 4x12 Cali V30 since a lot of my patches involve the Dual Rec. I set the mic to the 84, distance to 3.5", low cut off, high cut at 11.5 kHz, and early reflections at 20%. Before I decided on that one I was digging Ownhammer's Mesa 4x12 Standard on the MDRN-04 IR. For a mildly dirty tone, I've got a Marshall sim running ito the 4x10 Tweed P10R with a 414, 3.5" distance, high cut at 12 kHz, and 20% early reflections. I also like Ownhammer's DLX 112 IR using the C12 + P12 with a 57, but I don't remember which one I'm using. I also use their SPRVRB 410 C10R with the 57. At the moment, a lot of the IRs I'm still using are primarily because they seem to work fine for what I want and I haven't had enough time to really play with them through my FRFR and see if there are cab models that do a better job. Mostly it just depends on the sound I want. I have heavy Dual Rec sounds, vintage sounds, clean sounds, dirty tweed sounds... the Helix has really been a help to me because I love to mix up my tones from song to song.

Same problem, same switch.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there. I have already replaced 2 footswitches on my Helix, and now the third one is also going bad. The repairman showed me that small footswitch part (underneath the chrome one that you step on), which is connected to the motherboard are very bad quallity. They are not covered with small rubber protector... This rubber protector actually prevents the oxidation (which happens on temperature changes) and causes the bad operating... I think I would have to change all 12 of them with better rubber ones to get rid of this problem. Very bad Line 6. I hope now, that when Yamaha takes over, they will start to use better quallity footswithes... 

I am dissapointed.

• 1 month later...

Yep, some switches unfortunately have contact problems

I solved the problem, but it is a little tricky because you have to open the Helix and to remove the switchboard.

That’s not very difficult, but you have to remove a lot of screws and two data cables to get it out.

There are little push button switches under the chrome part. I cleaned the contact surfaces between them.

Then I dribbled some contact spray on the button switch and pressed the switch a few times to get the spray inside.

I had 2 switches that did not work right, but now every switch works perfect.

• Upvote 1

Not every Helix owner will have the technical skills or inclination to dig in under the hood of their Helix to address glitchy footswitches (or Joystick encoders, controllers knobs, etc.) that should not otherwise be failing (absent abuse or exposure to spillage) in their just over one year old flagship product. One would certainly hope that Line 6 will embrace repairing these at no charge rather than suffering public owner outcry as Helix units begin to age out of Line 6's One Year Helix Warranty.

• Upvote 1

OK, that’s right. But I’m from Europe and a repair will take at least several weeks (…I can't find a time where I don't need the Helix). And after a repair it’s not guaranteed, that another switch will start to make problems. It's only a "little" contact problem, so I tried to fix it myself. You only need a screwdriver, contact spray and some patience. But you’re right, if you’re technically untalented you should sent it in repair.

• Upvote 1