Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Arrived Today - Setup Question HELP

musicimpossible

I have an iMac 2.5 GHx Intel Core i5 running El Capitan. Be darned if I can find any info in the manual on how to set my Helix up with my Mac (other than page 47 but pretty sparse there). Anything I need to load into my hard drive - an app or something? I have it connected straight USB to my iMac but before I fire her seems like I will need to load something. I will be using the Helix for recording only in my home studio and tracking via ProTools 12 and LogicProX. If I fire up a project in ProTools, will I be able to see the Helix as an input Option. I doubt it without loading something? The stick that came with the unit only has the manual - no software. Any help appreciated.

Go to http://line6.com/software/ and select Helix and your OS in the dropdowns and make sure the beta checkbox is checked. Everything you need should be there. I don't use Apple stuff, ProTools or LogicProX, so I don't know anything specific about those. But once you have the drivers installed on your system you should be able to see and use Helix in either of the DAWs.

I don't 100% know the answer, but why don't you just try it? 

Thx, Tried that but it will not work as an interface. I did spdif through my current interface and I could here the Helix it when I triggered a track so that is good but I want to use the Helix as an interface as well as my amp / cab rig

Go to http://line6.com/software/ and select Helix and your OS in the dropdowns and make sure the beta checkbox is checked. Everything you need should be there. I don't use Apple stuff, ProTools or LogicProX, so I don't know anything specific about those. But once you have the drivers installed on your system you should be able to see and use Helix in either of the DAWs.

Thx, I did that about an hour ago and there was a glitch in the site I suppose because nothing came up. Just did the same thing, chose Helix Rack, Mac, Beta and the following came up which I suppose is what I need. Will give it a shot and see what happens.

Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta Release Notes Helix Mac Driver 1.00 is a public beta that improves multichannel audio performance. It supports the following sample rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 96 kHz.

IMPORTANT! Installing the Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta precludes using Helix with the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

After installing the driver and restarting your computer:

1. Make sure Helix/Helix Rack is connected to a dedicated USB port on your Mac. Do not use any sort of USB hub.

2. From the Apple menu, select “System Preferences…†and click the Sound icon.

3. Click the Output tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).

4. Click the Input tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).

5. Open your DAW. In the list of audio devices, you may see two items—Line 6 Helix and (Helix Audio). Choose “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€) for both Input and Output.

If for whatever reason you want to uninstall the Helix Mac Driver:

1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named “L6Helix.kext.†Drag this file to the trash.

2. Empty the trash and restart your computer. Helix will return to using the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

Thx, I did that about an hour ago and there was a glitch in the site I suppose because nothing came up. Just did the same thing, chose Helix Rack, Mac, Beta and the following came up which I suppose is what I need. Will give it a shot and see what happens.

Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta Release Notes Helix Mac Driver 1.00 is a public beta that improves multichannel audio performance. It supports the following sample rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 96 kHz.

IMPORTANT! Installing the Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta precludes using Helix with the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

After installing the driver and restarting your computer:

1. Make sure Helix/Helix Rack is connected to a dedicated USB port on your Mac. Do not use any sort of USB hub.

2. From the Apple menu, select “System Preferences…†and click the Sound icon.

3. Click the Output tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).

4. Click the Input tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).

5. Open your DAW. In the list of audio devices, you may see two items—Line 6 Helix and (Helix Audio). Choose “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€) for both Input and Output.

If for whatever reason you want to uninstall the Helix Mac Driver:

1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named “L6Helix.kext.†Drag this file to the trash.

2. Empty the trash and restart your computer. Helix will return to using the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

My problem is that i cant upgrade to newer OSX than Lion due to lollipop crappy apple policy i have a Mac Pro 2.1 from 2007 it is less then 10 years old still it wont work now that would NEVER ever happen on a win computer..No way i gonna buy another mac after thsi one thats for sure.

When compared its like i could not install any Helix driver or app on a win7 computer..and to be even more precise Lion is from 2011..

I have an iMac 2.5 GHx Intel Core i5 running El Capitan. Be darned if I can find any info in the manual on how to set my Helix up with my Mac (other than page 47 but pretty sparse there). Anything I need to load into my hard drive - an app or something? I have it connected straight USB to my iMac but before I fire her seems like I will need to load something. I will be using the Helix for recording only in my home studio and tracking via ProTools 12 and LogicProX. If I fire up a project in ProTools, will I be able to see the Helix as an input Option. I doubt it without loading something? The stick that came with the unit only has the manual - no software. Any help appreciated.

Hi musicimpossible,

Let's just hope that your "musicimpossible" handle does not come true.

There is a caveat to all of this following info, which is: Proceed at your own risk!

O.K. straight out of the box, the theory is that nothing needs setting up. You should connect the Helix to the mains power, some sort of amp/speakers setup on the 1/4" or XLR outs from the rear panel of the Helix so you can hear the thing - (at a pinch you could use a set of headphones) - and then the USB cable from Helix into a spare USB slot on the iMac - note: do NOT use a hub. Continuing with the the theory, now power everything up - then from your iMac Finder "Go" menu item select the "Utilities"option and navigate to and launch Audio MIDI Setup. Now, along with the various 'Built-in' options, you should also see your Helix, sporting 8 channels available. Select your Helix and make it the default "In/Out" device. That's it. Simple - no drivers, nothing else needed - it should just work. Check by playing back a track from iTunes, YouTube or whatever and the pristine audio should come tumbling out of your speakers - Faultless!

Yep, faultless. Well, I must say it was that way for me, right from back in November until the early part of March when It just stopped - for no apparent reason. I have since been advised via this Forum that Line 6 were in the process of writing a dedicated USB audio driver to solve all the issues with Helix and Mac OSX El Cap. I was delighted to download and install the Beta version of the driver only to find, to my horror - in my case, it simply made the whole thing worse - Logic Pro X was recording processed audio only on channel 1&2, no more dry signal for re-amping, so I removed it. I am still waiting for a response from Tech Support after raising a ticket on this issue. The initial reply from a Level 1 techie, was basically - read the manual. Yeah, right!

You can read more of my feeling regarding these USB/MIDI faults here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/19463-bizarre-audio-midi-fault-its-driving-me-nuts/

http://line6.com/support/topic/19809-helix-mac-driver-100-public-beta-now-available/

This will either be me wishing you "Good luck and enjoy your new toy", or saying "Welcome to Hell"

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I need to know if this issue has been resolved

this is the first time I have ever tried recording the dry signal from the Helix USB channel 7 ...

I got no signal whatsoever from input 7 in logic pro x , which was only seeing "Helix audio" not "Line 6 helix"

only getting sound in Helix  from channels 1 and 2 

I am on Sierra , but I am on a 2009 Mac Pro ... so I also tried it on my Maverix and El Capitan drives ... no joy

so I just now installed the Helix driver , and followed all the instructions .

I now have the "Line 6 Helix" option ...

but it still doesn't work , no signal coming in from Helix usb 7 output .

and yes I have the Helix global dry output set to USB 7.

how can I test to see if there's actually any signal being output from channel 7 ?

I realize this is an old thread ...

but please feel free to comment ... good , bad or indifferent .

I know this is an old thread but I need to know if this issue has been resolved

this is the first time I have ever tried recording the dry signal from the Helix USB channel 7 ...

I got no signal whatsoever from input 7 in logic pro x , which was only seeing "Helix audio" not "Line 6 helix"

only getting sound in Helix  from channels 1 and 2 

I am on Sierra , but I am on a 2009 Mac Pro ... so I also tried it on my Maverix and El Capitan drives ... no joy

so I just now installed the Helix driver , and followed all the instructions .

I now have the "Line 6 Helix" option ...

but it still doesn't work , no signal coming in from Helix usb 7 output .

and yes I have the Helix global dry output set to USB 7.

how can I test to see if there's actually any signal being output from channel 7 ?

I realize this is an old thread ...

but please feel free to comment ... good , bad or indifferent .

Hi Bob,

I could go in to along and detailed description of how to set up your DAW for re-amplification, but this is possibly easier to follow.

https://youtu.be/Vf3i18zOgG0

O.K. In this example Sean is using ProTools, but the technique is exactly the same in Logic Pro X. It works for me, I use it on an almost daily basis.

Let us know how you get along with this. If it doesn't help we can try something else.

Hi Bob,

I could go in to along and detailed description of how to set up your DAW for re-amplification, but this is possibly easier to follow.

O.K. In this example Sean is using ProTools, but the technique is exactly the same in Logic Pro X. It works for me, I use it on an almost daily basis.

Let us know how you get along with this. If it doesn't help we can try somethanks for the response date a commandoa commando

thanks for the response datacommando ,

although re-amping is my ultimate goal ... just getting the dry signal recorded is my primary concern ...

I could re-up all day with plug-ins if I have to ... but I still need dry signal from helix.

no matter what I try I cannot get the dry signal from helix into logic Pro X 

MY SETUP

The helix global settings are USB 7 and USB 8 for guitar and mic dry sources 

I am using factory preset 01 "US Double Norm" Multi input and multi output .

in Logic Pro X I have both input and output devices set to "Line 6 helix" (not Helix Audio).

I have the track armed and set to input 7 .

I get no signal at all from input 7 ... only the processed signal from 1 and 2 .

suggestions please .

thanks for the response datacommando ,

although re-amping is my ultimate goal ... just getting the dry signal recorded is my primary concern ...

I could re-up all day with plug-ins if I have to ... but I still need dry signal from helix.

no matter what I try I cannot get the dry signal from helix into logic Pro X 

MY SETUP

The helix global settings are USB 7 and USB 8 for guitar and mic dry sources 

I am using factory preset 01 "US Double Norm" Multi input and multi output .

in Logic Pro X I have both input and output devices set to "Line 6 helix" (not Helix Audio).

I have the track armed and set to input 7 .

I get no signal at all from input 7 ... only the processed signal from 1 and 2 .

suggestions please .

Hi again Bob,

Well you on the surface of it you seem to be doing everything by the book, and that should work, especially as you are managing to record the processed signal from your Helix.

I was going to upload some screenshots of how I have Logic set to capture audio, but it looks as if you have done all that!

Then a light went on in my head - BLAM! 

I'll bet that you are a Variax owner and it's the Variax that you are trying to record dry.

Dammit - if that's correct then simply go to the Global Settings, Ins/Outs scroll to the 3rd page and change Re-amp Src (USB 7) from Guitar to Variax and BINGO!

Please tell me if that's solved the problem. If not -well, I dunno?

Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

Hi again Bob,

Well you on the surface of it you seem to be doing everything by the book, and that should work, especially as you are managing to record the processed signal from your Helix.

I was going to upload some screenshots of how I have Logic set to capture audio, but it looks as if you have done all that!

Then a light went on in my head - BLAM! 

I'll bet that you are a Variax owner and it's the Variax that you are trying to record dry.

Dammit - if that's correct then simply go to the Global Settings, Ins/Outs scroll to the 3rd page and change Re-amp Src (USB 7) from Guitar to Variax and BINGO!

Please tell me if that's solved the problem. If not -well, I dunno?

Good Luck.

ding dong the witch is dead !!

winner winner chicken dinner !! 

I would have mentioned that I use Variax guitars ...

but I didn't think it mattered ... because even when I shut the Variax function off ...

and just used it as a  normal guitar , I still wouldn't get any signal .

I understand now ...

the dry source is not respective of what instrument I'm playing , it's what physical input i'm using on the back of the Helix .

and since I'm using the VDI cable input I have to use Variax as the source .

had I just plugged it in with a guitar cable there would never have been a problem ... 

but using the variax VDI cable changes the entire situation .

datacommando you are a genius !!

and I can't possibly thank you enough .

cheers -n- beers  !!!

• Upvote 1

I would have mentioned that I use Variax guitars ...

but I didn't think it mattered...

Well, yes - I guess it does, although the option for Variax and Variax Mags are not immediately obvious and hence your confusion. I re-read your posts several times and couldn't see how it wouldn't work. Impossible! Then Sherlock mode kicks in - "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." When I picked up my JTV59 to run an audio check through my re-amp default settings in Logic it hit me. You had to be using a Variax! Anyhow we solved it and you are now a Happy Helix User again.

Happy to help.

I do have one more question about the Hekix driver warning :

what does this mean in English ...

can I still use Logic Pro X to it's fullest extent ?

can I still use all my plug-ins ?

exactly what functionality am I losing here , 

I don't understand what this warning means .

exactly what functionality am I losing here ,

I don't understand what this warning means .

I really don't think you need to worry about this anymore, but there has never been any word from Line 6 to say the the thing is fixed.

About a year ago some folks with Apple Macs had lots of odd issues which it seems were related to the Core Audio Drivers. Line 6 devised their own solution, which was their own design of driver. For some people the Line 6 fixed worked and for others it simply made things worse. After a long while of mud slinging with Line 6 blaming Apple developers, and vice versa, Apple then went through a few software revisions and the problem just seemed to fade away. The original "pinned" thread about the driver is still on here, but the puppy has never been put to bed by a comment from a Line 6 product manger, or similar representative.

Don't lose any sleep about it.

I have no issues with my iMac, Logic and Helix anymore.

I really don't think you need to worry about this anymore, but there has never been any word from Line 6 to say the the thing is fixed.

About a year ago some folks with Apple Macs had lots of odd issues which it seems were related to the Core Audio Drivers. Line 6 devised their own solution, which was their own design of driver. For some people the Line 6 fixed worked and for others it simply made things worse. After a long while of mud slinging with Line 6 blaming Apple developers, and vice versa, Apple then went through a few software revisions and the problem just seemed to fade away. The original "pinned" thread about the driver is still on here, but the puppy has never been put to bed by a comment from a Line 6 product manger, or similar representative.

Don't lose any sleep about it.

I have no issues with my iMac, Logic and Helix anymore.

but do you use the Helix driver or not ...

should I keep it installed or remove it .

On 5/14/2017 at 4:35 PM, bobwilken said:

but do you use the Helix driver or not ...

should I keep it installed or remove it .

Hi Bob,

Well initially i was going to say that "No, I don't use the driver", because when that first "Beta" version came out Mac users seemed to have varying degrees of luck with it. It really wasn't working for me and dragged on with hit and miss results.

Since then (mid 2016) we have had a few changes to OSX and Helix firmware. There is a school of thought that something in the Apple core had been modified and others think that Line 6 managed to fix the Audio problems. Either way it doesn't matter who fixed it - it seems to work just fine.

Now the original V1 Mac Driver seems to have been left at Beta stage, but if you look on the Software Downloads page there is a newer Helix Mac Driver 1.0.4 released on 3/30/17.

As I understand it now, every time there is an update to the Editor app, other bits and bats are also installed in the background, one of which is the driver. So if you have updated your Editor recently (which you probably have) then the driver will be in Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named "L6Helix.kext." I just checked mine and - Yes, it's in there. So Yes I'm using it! Now I have no issues at all with Logic and Helix, they play nice together, but as you probably realised some of your plug-ins require "core Audio" to function. I was slightly worried about that but I have had no problems whatsoever with plug-ins. Note I do have "Core Audio" √ Enabled under Logic Audio Prefs. I just let this stuff work it's magic in the background.

Here's a pic of prefs.

Edited by datacommando
Picture removed

Hi Bob,

Well initially i was going to say that "No, I don't use the driver", because when that first "Beta" version came out Mac users seemed to have varying degrees of luck with it. It really wasn't working for me and dragged on with hit and miss results.

Since then (mid 2016) we have had a few changes to OSX and Helix firmware. There is a school of thought that something in the Apple core had been modified and others think that Line 6 managed to fix the Audio problems. Either way it doesn't matter who fixed it - it seems to work just fine.

Now the original V1 Mac Driver seems to have been left at Beta stage, but if you look on the Software Downloads page there is a newer Helix Mac Driver 1.0.4 released on 3/30/17.

As I understand it now, every time there is an update to the Editor app, other bits and bats are also installed in the background, one of which is the driver. So if you have updated your Editor recently (which you probably have) then the driver will be in Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named "L6Helix.kext." I just checked mine and - Yes, it's in there. So Yes I'm using it! Now I have no issues at all with Logic and Helix, they play nice together, but as you probably realised some of your plug-ins require "core Audio" to function. I was slightly worried about that but I have had no problems whatsoever with plug-ins. Note I do have "Core Audio" √ Enabled under Logic Audio Prefs. I just let this stuff work it's magic in the background.

Here's a pic of prefs.

thanks again for all your help ...