Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Burning smell" from hd500x

sergiot3

Goodmorning everyone,

I apologize for my "English" ... is not my native language.

I purchased in July 2015 hd500x, I used a few times and only at home, powered speakers and / or amplifier combo Marshall:

For some time it notices a strong "burning smell" coming dall'HD500x, even if it seems to work ... someone has had the same problem? It is to be sent in for service?

Thanks for the attention

It is an electronic device, so I don't know what would be burning inside the box. Could it be the power cord (which is outside of the box)? 

Is it possible that a roach or a small child crawled up inside there and what you are smelling is their rotting corpse (not the device itself) being heated by the electrical flow? 

***and I guess that if english isn't your native language, that you are outside of the the US. So, does your unit have the right power supply for your country?

I do not think either one cockroaches or other .. :-), and not from the power cord ..

Yes, I am not in the United States, and the power supply being used is correct for my country (220V)

I think it's more 'due to some internal component, is a' 'smell "that sometimes I've heard in other electronic equipment, as for work are a technical ...

Thanks Pianoguyy, for the speedy involvement

If you've only used it a few times then it might be solder flux burning off. Regardless, I'd keep using it until it dies and THEN take it in for repair, but it may be cheaper to buy a used one somewhere.

Dust can even smell like charred something. That's something I've noticed when I switch on TV after month.

If its under warranty just send it back, if not the make sure you have the unit unplugged and just remove the back of the HD500 and have a visual inspection

i own an HD500 which i purchased secondhand, i had to repair one of the foot switch which was a simple fix

I just re-stretched the small spring inside the foot switch, as it had become compressed over it time of use, been fine since, was a bit fiddly although i found the HD500 to be fairly user serviceable.

Anyway my point being if its out of warranty its a 20 second job just to remove 8 screws in the rubber feet and have a visual inspection.

if its full of dust, use a soft bristled paint brush lightly brush any dust out. if its not then look for any visable burn marks on the circut board in which case it will need to looked at by a professional engineer.

Thats good news it's still under warranty as you reall y need to have your unit looked at asap, any smell of burning coming from your HD500X is not normal and should not be happening. they can get warm after being used for a while but never that hot it smells of burning.

At a guess it's probs a faulty resistor getting hotter than it really should but take that with a pinch of salt.