Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Usb Bypassing Internal D/a Conversion?

BlueViolince

To answer your question in the title, yes the USB audio out bypasses the D/A conversion at the analog outs. Using the FX loop would add another layer of conversion. I suppose putting the loop in a tone uses some DSP, but it's probably very minimal. The converters would be separate chips.

That's what I thought. For the fx loop, it doesn't make a difference when recording, but it doesn't make sense that it uses an active effect block if it's not pulling on the dsp, am I right? I would love it if the next firmware did something about that.

Well, what would you propose they do with it? I don't see a really clear alternative that still makes it so you can put the effects loop anywhere in the chain and have it controllable with a footswitch.

I'm just saying, 8 blocks are there, no matter what's in them. The fx loop takes up a space, whether it uses dsp or not. I have patches that aren't maxed out on dsp, but have no room for the loop because every block is full.

Then something has to give right? Use it for what it does now, not what you think it should do...By all means discuss it and send Line 6 a feature request, but I would suggest that you try not to hold your breath on this one. One way you could work around the need for 8 (or more) FX in the chain is to 4CM an HDPro, M-13....Heck and M-5 would give you the 8th effect and you could have spring reverb all the time...Line 6 is not always going to solve all your issues and yes, they want you to have GAS...