Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using StageSource as a bass rig for 5/6 string

Hi.

Using a StageSource rig would seem to be a great alternative to a bass amp, but, reviewing your literature, you don't seem to give any response curves for all of the modes of the L3S sub.

Being a bassist who wants my low B fundamental to have as much authority as a low E or A, I'd like to know that the sub can cleanly attain 31Hz at reasonable volume. I'm not looking for anything lower than that.

Given that an equivalent home theater sub can do that easily, I'd hope that one of the modes would allow this.

Two 12" woofers give you the displacement area of an 18". Asking this box to hit around 105db at 31Hz should not be asking too much. I realize that this will reduce the maximum SPL, but I'm interested in quality, not quantity. Hell, if I want more output, I'll just buy more subs.

This wouldn't be worth it, though, if the sub is only flat to around 40Hz and the 31Hz, low B is around 15dB lower due to the sub's DSP high pass filter (shown below from the literature).

L3S-FRchart.png

Your thoughts, measurements, please.

jeff

Thanks for your post. Quite a shame that there is no way to get info directly from Line 6 if you haven't already bought the unit.

The L3 speakers do seem pretty exceptional and I'm seriously considering buying one of them for my rig. As to the L3S, though, a speaker that only goes down to 40Hz is not a subwoofer, it just a woofer cabinet. Anything called a subwoofer should have a -3dB point at 30Hz minimum. Worse comes to worse, I'll just build a killer sub cabinet with Prescient Audio subs and Hypex amps. It will cost more & be a bit more work to integrate the sub with the main, but the low bass will be amazing.

j