Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX into BOSE L1

electricfactory

Tried searching this topic as I suspect it's been covered but didn't have any luck in turing it up- those of you who're connecting your HELIX to your BOSE L1, would you please post exactly how you're doing it, which outputs and how you have them set, etc ? Pictures would be ideal as it appears I'm dense-er than most..

Hey EF!

I've used Bose systems for years with different Line 6 products if it suited the venue and it depends on what you are using it for. With the HD, I've used 2 L1's and run from the unbalanced 1/4 inch outs direct into the analog inputs set at 12:00. Then use the output volume on the HD to control overall guitar volume level. I've run into the tone match mixers before but prefer the simplicity of the direct inputs and only use the Tonematch for vocals. It really sounds amazing when you have it dialed in right - stereo surround sound guitar! One L1, just run one output.

Im sure Helix would be a similar setup.

If it is an older Bose version, not the latest version, go direct into an input channel and set the preset to 00.

If you like, I can post pictures Tuesday which is the next time I'll use an L1.

Tried searching this topic as I suspect it's been covered but didn't have any luck in turing it up- those of you who're connecting your HELIX to your BOSE L1, would you please post exactly how you're doing it, which outputs and how you have them set, etc ? Pictures would be ideal as it appears I'm dense-er than most..

Hey EF!

I've used Bose systems for years with different Line 6 products if it suited the venue and it depends on what you are using it for. With the HD, I've used 2 L1's and run from the unbalanced 1/4 inch outs direct into the analog inputs set at 12:00. Then use the output volume on the HD to control overall guitar volume level. I've run into the tone match mixers before but prefer the simplicity of the direct inputs and only use the Tonematch for vocals. It really sounds amazing when you have it dialed in right - stereo surround sound guitar! One L1, just run one output.

Im sure Helix would be a similar setup.

If it is an older Bose version, not the latest version, go direct into an input channel and set the preset to 00.

If you like, I can post pictures Tuesday which is the next time I'll use an L1.

Wallyg,

1/4" outs, huh ? That surprises me, thought it'd be better to go XLR out of HELIX into the BOSE XLR mic inputs.. no good ?

Wallyg,

1/4" outs, huh ? That surprises me, thought it'd be better to go XLR out of HELIX into the BOSE XLR mic inputs.. no good ?

Only if you're having a problem with humm/buzz when using the unbalanced connections. If you do use the XLR, make sure phantom power is off before you plug in, and the trim is set to zero so you don't clip the input.

The XLR inputs on the Bose have decent low and high frequency flat response, so you won't have any dramatic EQ or level problems.

Note: always be careful when plugging full range gear into 'mic inputs' (and vice versa) as microphones have different requirements to line level gear. XLR doesn't define the electrical spec for the interface, so there are all sorts of conflicting requirements that different gear have depending on what they expect the interconnect use case to be. XLR inputs don't necessarily guarantee a better signal transfer than a 1/4" and may cause other problems (e.g. phantom power, impedance mismatched, clipped preamps, etc). It's better to match against expected impedance/level (ie. line to line, mic to mic, instrument to instrument in) than the connector type. Balanced is _usually_ better than unbalanced as it rejects coupled hum/buzz and other electrical noise, but you still need to watch for level and impedance mismatches as you don't want to clip your inputs or amplify the hiss when turning up the gain.

It is much simpler to avoid the Tonematch altogether because the moment you adjust the volume out on the pedal, then you have to redo the attenuators and volume levels on the Tonematch. It can get very messy and makes volume adjustment mid song almost impossible. I prefer skipping all that plus it leaves my XLR outs for other uses. (Ex: In large venues I use my old Vetta combo or a backline amp as a stage monitor running 1/4 inch in to the Vetta and run XLR out to the FOH). It just standardizes my setup. Many times, if they have a great monitor guy and on some fly dates, I'll use the pedal all by it's lonesome. Sound guys love it and my setup/teardown time is minimal. 

I run my Helix into an L1: Helix XLR out (set for Line output level, using left mono) into balanced 1/4" on the L1. I don't use the ToneMatch mixer (it sounds too digital to me). The Helix --> L1 is a great combination.

I run my Helix into an L1: Helix XLR out (set for Line output level, using left mono) into balanced 1/4" on the L1. I don't use the ToneMatch mixer (it sounds too digital to me). The Helix --> L1 is a great combination.

This is ideal. Balanced connection, line level to line level, and no chance of phantom being accidentally applied.

electricfactory -- ToneMatch is a little Bose mixer for their Bose speaker towers called the ToneMatch (technology they had built into their first edition speakers that has prebuilt EQs for specific instruments). Its analog in, digital out, and plugs straight into the speaker tower. You don't need it if you have a mixer with EQ. Or something like the Helix.