Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Show Us Your Helix Rig Setup

glorioso

Had fun playing around this weekend.

Helix into Peavey 6505 MH via 4-cable method, into DT25 via L6 Link, into the front of the Randall RH100 and into the Alto TS110A speakers via XLR to handle the wet path.  Plus a BeatBuddy in a stereo effects loop.  Running all of this on a single patch called MOAP (mother of all patches).

Great tones and really fun to put together.

Helix%203%20AMP%20WDW.jpg

• Upvote 2

Helix out to DT50 via L6 Link for guitar sounds.  And out via XLR to the L3t's for acoustic/synth sounds.  Then I take the direct out from the DT50 to my DAW.  Still very much a work in progress.

post-6232-0-89291900-1461721190_thumb.jpg

post-6232-0-13452800-1461721842_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well, my many wacky experiments have yielded a killer guitar rig as well as my bass rig.  Helix is straight into the effects return of the Mesa M9 2x12 combo.

It's not a lightweight dream rig, but daaaang it's sounding good, especially with a couple of my custom IR's and just some minor global eq tweaks.

post-1189006-0-00891700-1461956302_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mine I daren't show. I carry it in a Samsonite hold-all with all my usual gig rubbish.

The Relay comment, god yeah, best thing ever. We do Try A Little Tenderness and I do this call / response thing with the vocal, and we started doing it pretty much the week I got that (ex Mrs bought it as a treat!!! Still best mate, partially for that reason!) and ever since I always go out into the audience and sit next to a woman and sort of seranade her in a really cheesy funny way. It's the best piece of kit ever just for that and being able to stand on tables and play.

Oooooo, here's mine before it was complete. The power cable is tied down now and I have an eyelet to clip a caibeaner to that's tied to my XLR cables, so if someone trips over a cable, it's not "Bye bye Helix". Anyhow, love the rigs!

post-814307-0-20968600-1453170316_thumb.jpg
  • Upvote 1

It's Road Cases USA 32x16.  I sometimes wonder if the extra $40 for wheels and suitcase handle would have been worth it.  It weighs about 50lbs.

That's not a wah pedal, it's the Mission expression pedal that is built specifically for Line 6 stuff.  It has a much more real feel for whammy and wah effects.  I can't use it for wah, just because of having to switch it on with the other switches but it works great.

That's my current rig paired up with a PRS Custom 24 Brazilian limited edition, a Fender Eric Johnson Strat, Martin D-15, and the wonderful Variax Bass.

Very, VERY nice.  But I'm not sure I see the point of the external univibe though.  In my personal experience, of all the Helix's fx, its Univibe is the most true to the real thing (or really good clone) and I've got some good ones.. The one Helix 'mod' fx I'm just absolutely not 'feelin it' for, to date, is the Courtesan flange (Electric Mistress).  No matter how I tweak I can't get it to behave anything like the real McCoy or good clone.  But personally I think the Helix's Uni-vibe is awesome. 

Very, VERY nice.  But I'm not sure I see the point of the external univibe though.  In my personal experience, of all the Helix's fx, its Univibe is the most true to the real thing (or really good clone) and I've got some good ones.. The one Helix 'mod' fx I'm just absolutely not 'feelin it' for, to date, is the Courtesan flange (Electric Mistress).  No matter how I tweak I can't get it to behave anything like the real McCoy or good clone.  But personally I think the Helix's Uni-vibe is awesome. 

Really? The Courtesan flange is the effect I probably use most and got it to line up really close with the real deal for the settings I use (think Machinehead).

But I do agree the univibe is very good.

Yeah, night and day above the HD univibe  - the "gulp" at the bottom of each cycle on that was abysmal, with no real control over it.   On the Helix, the extra control - particularly lamp bias - has let me dial it in to perfection.  I'm a univibe-instead-of-chorus kinda guy, and keep my rate on an expression pedal so I can constantly be tweaking it, keep the ear interested....

Really? The Courtesan flange is the effect I probably use most and got it to line up really close with the real deal for the settings I use (think Machinehead).

I know this is getting a little off the original topic but I dood it anyway.  I don't have an original EM but I have two highly acclaimed clones (Hartman Flanger and Mooer Eleclady).  I'll check out "Machinehead".  I go for a Gilmour swirly type sound with the "rate" knob dialed almost out completely and I just haven't been able to dial in what I'm used to with the Courtesan.  When I dial back the Courtesan "rate", I lose intensity.  If I turn up the "rate" it starts to sound like a see-saw.  If you're not familiar with the aforementioned clones, the Hartman is pretty well known and the Eleclady is a cheap chinese mini pedal that literally blows the Hartman away.  However I've always wished I could dial back the 'mix' of the Eleclady because with the sound is dead on, it can be pretty overpowering.  So with the Helix, problem solved if I want to simply add Eleclady to the loop and mix it back.  I was actually hoping to be able to achieve that with the Courtesan and not have an extra pedal.  Based upon your comment, I'll give it another go.  I've learned quite well that if you're not getting something from the Helix, it's often because you haven't tried long/hard enough.  Iknowathingortwo said he was a uni-vibe instead of chorus guy.  Well I'm kinda a EM instead of chorus guy.  I will say that, for me, the Helix Courtesan Flange beats all the Helix Choruses by a mile.  But I'm sure that that's because I just not that much of a "chorus" guy.  

post-2303377-0-97063900-1462250960_thumb.jpg

Still need to add a looper and the HOG footswitch. With the Helix's MIDI capability, I have control over loading presets on the HOG, but it will be nice to have the freeze capability and preset # display.

The handles and wheels are very useful, but the hard plastic wheels are a rough go on uneven surfaces - or even asphalt. Will be replacing them with inline skate wheels.

• Upvote 1

Thanks JLondon!

I kept the Univibe for a few reasons:

- It sounds rather unique, I use it a lot and couldn't quite get the same sound out of the Helix.

- Pre-Helix I ran it in series with the SuperPulsar and I they play together very well

- It's tiny!

- It's not taking up and extra FX loop.

Best reason though:

- My wife gave it to me for a birthday and that makes it extra special! 

Nothing to show here, really :) Just my Helix floorboard and my natural '95 Strat Plus. Thanks to Line 6 and modern technology this is the most convenient setup I can think of. I still don't use the onboard goodies to their maximum and hopefully with some added FXs in future updates I'll have all I need for years to come... Back to playing guitar!

• Upvote 2

I know this is getting a little off the original topic but I dood it anyway.  I don't have an original EM but I have two highly acclaimed clones (Hartman Flanger and Mooer Eleclady).  I'll check out "Machinehead".  I go for a Gilmour swirly type sound with the "rate" knob dialed almost out completely and I just haven't been able to dial in what I'm used to with the Courtesan.  When I dial back the Courtesan "rate", I lose intensity.  If I turn up the "rate" it starts to sound like a see-saw.  If you're not familiar with the aforementioned clones, the Hartman is pretty well known and the Eleclady is a cheap chinese mini pedal that literally blows the Hartman away.  However I've always wished I could dial back the 'mix' of the Eleclady because with the sound is dead on, it can be pretty overpowering.  So with the Helix, problem solved if I want to simply add Eleclady to the loop and mix it back.  I was actually hoping to be able to achieve that with the Courtesan and not have an extra pedal.  Based upon your comment, I'll give it another go.  I've learned quite well that if you're not getting something from the Helix, it's often because you haven't tried long/hard enough.  Iknowathingortwo said he was a uni-vibe instead of chorus guy.  Well I'm kinda a EM instead of chorus guy.  I will say that, for me, the Helix Courtesan Flange beats all the Helix Choruses by a mile.  But I'm sure that that's because I just not that much of a "chorus" guy.  

Yeah, that's a different application of the same effect pedal, definitely. I'll do some playing with it and see what I can come up with for you if you have a song example? The EM is a pretty specialized piece of gear and it takes a while to get used to how the controls interact with each other. that is what I actually liked about the helix model of it. It's very similar.

I haven't tried those clones though, so maybe that's where I'm off.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Helix rig: The Helix, 2x L2m on Zaor-Monitor-Stands, Relay G10, Boss RC-300, Zoom HD16, the custom padded covers and my axes on the wall (the Explorer has the G10-sender plugged in) :)

The two L2m are connected to the Helix via L6Link.

The RC-300 is connected to the Helix via stereo send/return loop (4 cables).

The Helix main out goes into the inputs 1+2 of the HD16 for recordings. The HD16 main outs go to studio monitors.

Last pic shows the custom padded covers.

01-MyHelixRrig_zpsa4slg0xk.jpg

02-HelixRC300_zpskwlwmmce.jpg

03-Padded-Covers_zpsqtcjozkg.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1