Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Show Us Your Helix Rig Setup

glorioso

Well that didn't quite go according to plan. Anyone know the secret of getting an image up here (I guess everyone else on this thread). Jpeg says that extension not allowed on this forum. Bmp says 'message too short'. Png completed without error but clearly just a blank result. Definitely I'm missing something simple (oh, and I'm just dragging the image onto the text area, so maybe my workflow is goofy)

@glorioso: Thanks :)

@regalpierot: You can't load a picture into the forum. Upload your photo to some picture-service like photobucket.com and insert a link to the pic there in your post here.

Well that didn't quite go according to plan. Anyone know the secret of getting an image up here (I guess everyone else on this thread). Jpeg says that extension not allowed on this forum. Bmp says 'message too short'. Png completed without error but clearly just a blank result. Definitely I'm missing something simple (oh, and I'm just dragging the image onto the text area, so maybe my workflow is goofy)

I upload them to a site like photobucket and then use the image icon above to insert the link.

That picture doesn't even display the boutique pedal shelf, but I didn't even use them in the main loop but rather swapped in and out where the Mastotron and Memory Boy were as that was a kind of ever changing and modular part of the rig.

I'd bought some pieces that were used exclusively with analog synths and a few I routed some samplers through. I somewhat condensed all those into a single entity then just routed whatever instrument I was working with through that. In all honesty it was an unpractical mess, if I gigged I'd have to split it apart and only take certain parts and even in the studio for the units that didn't have presets I'd have to dial in all the specific settings just to continue working on a part while maintaining the tone I used last time. Not a thought out solution.

I'd tried some single units over the years (G System still in that pic) but kept hitting on the flexibility, and sound, couldn't match the individual stomps. Jack of all trades and master of none etc. Kemper and Axe just never did it for me (both great I'm sure) and when the Helix was released I did a lot of waiting and online researching. Have it two weeks, and absolutely love it so much. Interface alone is incredible. I use a lot of Midi controllers for writing other parts and the thing reminds me of two units I think were designed with quality and workflow in mind, the NI Maschine Studio and the Ableton Push 2. Just, great.

85% or so of what is in the pic is retired now. Sold, traded or sitting on a shelf (just in case). I maintained three things that I integrate with Helix

1. Strymon Big Sky. - Helix aint there yet for the more ambient and lush complex reverbs but that is understandable. For all standard reverbs I'm more than happy with it though. 

2. Eventide H9 - Sold one, kept my max. I only use it for the pitchfactor (arps etc) effects which are pretty amazing.

3. TC Electronic Triple Delay. - Love that at a flip of a single switch you can change all three delays to serial mode so the first feeds into the second and that feeds into the third all in time. Really capable thing.

Aside that though, one single footprint that as soon as the Helix backpacks start shipping again will be easily transportable. No looking back.

• Upvote 1

Very Cool!  Are you running the Triple play to a laptop or something to drive the Blofeld?

No laptop required but it can be added easy for both playback and recording. There is a USB hub mounted on the pedal board underside.

Underneath, mounted with the Blofeld on top of, is an iConnectivity Audio 4+ (the FTP doggle is mounted on the side of the iCA4+). The iCA4+ is a USB host, mixer and interface. MIDI out from the iCA4+ and Helix (through the H9s) is merged with a Kenton Merge-4 box on the pedal board underside to the Blofeld. Helix selects the program change and sends expression pedal CC data while the FTP data is merged and passed via the iCA4+ to the Blofeld.

Sounds more complex than it is really :)

That picture doesn't even display the boutique pedal shelf, but I didn't even use them in the main loop but rather swapped in and out where the Mastotron and Memory Boy were as that was a kind of ever changing and modular part of the rig.

I'd bought some pieces that were used exclusively with analog synths and a few I routed some samplers through. I somewhat condensed all those into a single entity then just routed whatever instrument I was working with through that. In all honesty it was an unpractical mess, if I gigged I'd have to split it apart and only take certain parts and even in the studio for the units that didn't have presets I'd have to dial in all the specific settings just to continue working on a part while maintaining the tone I used last time. Not a thought out solution.

I'd tried some single units over the years (G System still in that pic) but kept hitting on the flexibility, and sound, couldn't match the individual stomps. Jack of all trades and master of none etc. Kemper and Axe just never did it for me (both great I'm sure) and when the Helix was released I did a lot of waiting and online researching. Have it two weeks, and absolutely love it so much. Interface alone is incredible. I use a lot of Midi controllers for writing other parts and the thing reminds me of two units I think were designed with quality and workflow in mind, the NI Maschine Studio and the Ableton Push 2. Just, great.

85% or so of what is in the pic is retired now. Sold, traded or sitting on a shelf (just in case). I maintained three things that I integrate with Helix

1. Strymon Big Sky. - Helix aint there yet for the more ambient and lush complex reverbs but that is understandable. For all standard reverbs I'm more than happy with it though. 

2. Eventide H9 - Sold one, kept my max. I only use it for the pitchfactor (arps etc) effects which are pretty amazing.

3. TC Electronic Triple Delay. - Love that at a flip of a single switch you can change all three delays to serial mode so the first feeds into the second and that feeds into the third all in time. Really capable thing.

Aside that though, one single footprint that as soon as the Helix backpacks start shipping again will be easily transportable. No looking back.

You get many kudos points for real world experience and extra bonus points for not using the abbreviation 'verbs

I see a lot of Eventide with the Helix. What do you like about it that the Helix can't do?

I assume you meant to ask me this?

It isn't so much about what Helix can or can't do. Helix FX are very good and the control center makes running the H9 very easy. It's about getting more out both devices. Using the H9's offloads some DSP power away from Helix and therefor allows for more amps, IRs, and routing options. The H9s do have a greater number of available effect types. Plus, the reverbs have better detail than the Helix reverbs. The H9 also has MIDI clock sync. Helix doesn't yet. OTOH, Helix loops can be inserted anywhere I want the H9 to be. And, I can used the expression pedals to control the H9. 

Helix and the H9 is serious powerful combo. Really, I'm just scratching the surface.

• Upvote 2

My 2 cents. I kept one of my H9s because it really is like owning all those awesome 'Factor' pedal range the company produced in one form factor. The IOS interface really is like using a PitchFactor etc. But also, clever old Eventide have started producing algorithms you couldn't really replicate on a stomp and specific to the H9.

If I didn't already own a H9 Max before I got the Helix? Hmm, debatable, think you could certainly make do with the Line 6 beast. But if you have access to one, or can get one in a good second hand deal, as @tj said they play very nicely together. Plus, all the excuse a gearhead might ever need, the Helix is black and the H9 is white so you absolutely need to get one  :) 

@tj. I've been using my Disaster Area midi clock device and midi controller for controlling the H9 but really would like to tie it all into Helix controls. I know there was some discussion on here and some folks said clock was definitely sent (maybe remembering that wrong) from the helix Midi din connection. Have you tried and found that definitely not to be the case dude?

• Upvote 1

@tj. I've been using my Disaster Area midi clock device and midi controller for controlling the H9 but really would like to tie it all into Helix controls. I know there was some discussion on here and some folks said clock was definitely sent (maybe remembering that wrong) from the helix Midi din connection. Have you tried and found that definitely not to be the case dude?

I owned a DA Smartclock but sold it after buying Helix along with other pedals. So, I never tried myself to use them together.

Helix doesn't yet send or receive MIDI clock. The latest FW did included a bug fix to respond to MIDI tap tempo CC#64. I haven't tried putting this to work yet, but I believe that would mean you may be able to control and sync tempo between H9 and Helix by using the H9 as the master tempo tap.

AmpCovers.org offer these, see:

http://www.ampcovers.org

or on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/amp_covers

Jordan ships worldwide, within a few days for custom text/logo and is super friendly, reliable and fun to deal with!

The covers are top quality, perfectly fitting.

Fully recommended.

Does the helix cover "catch" at all on the expression pedal when you take the cover off?

Helix XLR to Alesis Alpha 112's and Behringer subwoofer, 1/4 out (stereo) to Flextone 2X12 combo with Eminence Governors, FX Send 3/4 (stereo) to Flextone II HD and 2X12 closed back with V30's, L6 Link to DT25HD and 1X12 with Eminence speaker from Flextone.  Trio+ in loop.  Sure SR-440 headphones. Schecter Avenger, HLK Bombshell, JTV-69.  I guess I qualify as a fan boy?

13015211_1277001615662618_31756476743378

• Upvote 3

Radatats, how do you like the Alpha 112s? I picked up a pair on ebay while ago for a good price, but haven't had a chance to try them much w Helix.

My plan so far is just them, no amp. Why did you want both?

You wanted the sub even for guitar? I'd really like to keep my rig to just Helix, the 112s, and instruments.

Radatats, how do you like the Alpha 112s?

Why did you want both?

At first I found them a little harsh but they have broken in nicely.  I wanted two and a sub to have my own PA, to do stereo stuff and so the sub could take the low end load off the Alphas.  Most of the time I play through them with the sub, the amps were overkill.  They are very similar to the Alto TS112s but unfortunately they don't seem to make them anymore.  You can still get the 15" models though on eBay.

I had the 2X12 cab sitting around and the extra speakers and just had the itch to put them to work.  I found both Flexy's on Craigslist for around $100 each and couldn't be happier with them.  I'm taking the PA and the combo to a Memorial Day bash and we'll see how things go.  It's more of a big jam session so I don't know what I will have set up yet.  Really looking forward to cranking it up though...

Going from the board and rack to just the board. The FX II had more refined on the software capabilities, but the ease of use and equal quality of the Helix simply wins out for gigging. I watched Fractal mature and hopeful of many more great things to come from Line 6. I feel like my old PodPro just grew up!post-2373545-0-75532000-1464818697_thumb.jpegpost-2373545-0-75532000-1464818697_thumb.jpegpost-2373545-0-75532000-1464818697_thumb.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I haven't seen a single ASM-12 on these posts so far. Any happy Friedman users out there? I ended up opting for it instead of the Fender Acoustic Pro (which would have been a better acoustic amp option), hope I don't regret the purchase.

I have a Friedman asm-12. I use it and some seismic coaxials (15" and 12").

Use the Friedman more with a Kemper and Seismics more with Helix.

Do the reasons for this pairing have to do with tone, or is it just circumstantial?

I had my Friedman delivered last night, will spend the afternoon on it.