Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Show Us Your Helix Rig Setup

glorioso

Yay!, we define what we do as electronic rock, so I reckon all weird fx and textures are welcome, as long as it's not just for the show, but for musical purposes, if you know what I mean.
Before I got the Helix, I was using the GR into the loop return of the HD500, and very happy about it, but Helix has been a great step forward. I miss some of the old fx in the HD (specially the vocoder and the growler) and the stuff in the XT series FX Junkie pack.

Yay!, we define what we do as electronic rock, so I reckon all weird fx and textures are welcome, as long as it's not just for the show, but for musical purposes, if you know what I mean.

Before I got the Helix, I was using the GR into the loop return of the HD500, and very happy about it, but Helix has been a great step forward. I miss some of the old fx in the HD (specially the vocoder and the growler) and the stuff in the XT series FX Junkie pack.

Yeah, that's a heck of rig. I'm curious about how you lug all that around and set it up from gig to gig. Did you consider getting the Helix Rack? Have you considered moving a lot of your equipment to a rack or pedalboard of some sort? I struggle with the tension between adding more gear and the complexity of setting it up and breaking it down before and after gigs. Or maybe you're just a lot less lazy than me.

Hahaha, takes a while to set up, really, about 30 minutes. All pedals and their cables fit in two Thomann pedalbags,
I have a flightcase for the two wedges, mic and guitar stands, but I'm not using it at the moment, because we're not really touring. I had it made in 2013 and it's been serving me well, but now, moving my stuff in my own car, carefully doing it myself, the flightcase is more a hassle than an advantage, so, those two travel "unprotected"
The Helix rack would have been better for me if I wanted to use it with guitar cabs, but this way, everything is in front of me, where my ears and eyes prefer it.

Another reason why I have it all in front is, well, I really use most of those controls live. The expression and CTL pedals on the GR, all three expression pedals and almost every switch on the Helix, and the expression pedal and extra Boss FS-5U for the H9. I considered ordering a custom, unfoldable FC where I would put everything but the Helix, but even in that case, I would probably still want everything in front of me. I could try to make do with Helix midi control capabilities (it's just changing patches on the other stuff ATM) but, for now, I prefer it that way, it saves me a LITTLE programming time.

• 1 month later...

15502801_10154126735560814_416004275_o.p

Here's my setup. Might seem weird that the floor control is on top, but it's easy to get out and put on the floor... But I keep it on top most of the time, as I use this for recording and sound design exclusively at the moment.

To the left is my bass rig, and to the right is an iso cab and an IPB-10, neither of which I actually use anymore.

The best recent improvement to my setup has been "red cable for bass, blue for guitar", as my cables tend to get all tangled up all the time.

• Upvote 1

Violins go into the LR Baggs Gigpro. I have a Hot Hand 3 set as EXP2, and the motion transmitter mounts onto the violins with velcro.  I can tilt the instrument up or down, and that usually adjusts delay feedback.  When I'm practicing, I use the Hammond box, which just contains a 10k pot wired to a 1/4" jack. DVP4 mini handles EXP3, which is generally set to control volume before final delay and reverb, on almost all patches. 

18620342_1555555514469025_1997048428206018581946_1555555491135694_89958353317579

• Upvote 1

Here's my Helix rig: The Helix, 2x L2m on Zaor-Monitor-Stands, Relay G10, Boss RC-300, Zoom HD16, the custom padded covers and my axes on the wall (the Explorer has the G10-sender plugged in) :)

The two L2m are connected to the Helix via L6Link.

The RC-300 is connected to the Helix via stereo send/return loop (4 cables).

The Helix main out goes into the inputs 1+2 of the HD16 for recordings. The HD16 main outs go to studio monitors.

Last pic shows the custom padded covers.

01-MyHelixRrig_zpsa4slg0xk.jpg

02-HelixRC300_zpskwlwmmce.jpg

03-Padded-Covers_zpsqtcjozkg.jpg

And from where did you order those custom covers?  Dust is my Waterloo.

• Upvote 1

This is my new rig. I got rid of everything else I had (amps & pedals). Next Step is buying a Variax. Nowadays I have one Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul and one Gibson Flying V. I'm anxious to see what Variax can do with the Helix, but I'll have to wait until next year 'cause if I buy more gear, I'm sure my wife will leave me  :lol:

post-2494558-0-83141000-1495808350_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Also useful are extra large women's makeup brushes. Some have very soft bristles and are great for keeping electronic stuff clean. A Swiffer sheet/cleaning wand also does the job. And, a microfiber cloth is also handy to have in gear bags, guitar cases, etc., both for a quick wipe down, and they can provide some cushioning for the gear.

• Upvote 1

@ZSchneidi, are you happy in Kemper-land without their dedicated foot controller?

So far everything works perfectly together. I don't even need the Kemper controller.

The Helix is enough to switch the profiles on the Kemper. I didn't tried to control the stompboxes or effects on the

Kemper because I'm using the Helix for that. But i don't se any problem coming there.

Maybe i try to figure out how to control wah effects etc. or even the morphing feature on the Kemper with the Helix exp. pedal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's what I use for my rock/punk/metal/whatever band-- Helix into a Stagesource L2t.  90% of the time I use the 5150 amp with the Minotaur overdrive for my distorted sounds, for cleans I use either the Roland Jazz Chorus or the Divided Duo. My only outboard pedal is a Custom Audio Electronics MC404 wah. I also use a Line 6 Relay 10 wireless. We play acoustic shows as well. For those I leave the Helix home and run my Alvarez acoustic into a little Zoom MS50G pedal (for a volume boost for leads and occasional delay) and into my L2t. I don't miss lugging my half-stack around and it's nice to be able to fit my whole rig into my trunk. The other guitarist in my band runs through an actual Peavey 5150 head/4x12 and my Helix version more than keeps up both tone and volume-wise.

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Zoom CDR-70 is for a bunch of reverse reverb settings as the Helix can't do that yet.

I have other stuff that comes and goes but this is the core of the pedal rig.  Boxes that come and go are:

Second Zoom CDR for more abstract reverb/delay crap
Pearl Octave
Boss PS-3 (for Through Zero Flanging as it does it better than the dual pitch on the helix)
EQD Afterneath

Catalinbread Csidman

more EB volumes as expressions or more volume stages

Boss DD-6 for warp mode

EHX Canyon for the Sample and Hold
Oto Bam

Still, this is the simplest version, and I can play any show with just these boxes.

post-380127-0-44377700-1498583245_thumb.jpg

My gigging setup is pretty simple - don't have a photo. I use two JBL EON610's placed behind me where a traditional backline would be. I run the Helix 1/4" outputs into the 610's and run full stereo. I use a Variax JTV-69S most of the time and a Strat Deluxe and my Les Paul as backup (never thought it would come to that, but I like that Variax in a lot of ways - go figure). For FOH, I take the Helix XLR outputs directly into two channels of an SD16 digital snake head into an X32-Core. The X32-Core is in a four-rack space that sits on top of my two 610s, with the computer on top of that. So my guitar and the whole PA takes up the same space as a relatively small traditional guitar amp.

I have nothing going into Helix except an A/B switch to switch between the Strat and Les Paul, the Variax goes in through VDI.

My backup rig is MainStage with S-Gear and a bunch of plugins from various sources for front of the amp effects. I drive this with an Apogee GiO and use pretty much the same effects and amp setup as with Helix. Frankly S-Gear is the real deal. I'd be tempted to gig with this all the time, but Helix has a lot more options, especially with a Variax. I didn't want to use a computer based solution because of complexity and reliability. But since we've been using an X32-Core and an old 2011 MacBook Pro 13" (my son's old college computer) to run the PA, I've become less concerned about computer reliability. A good MacBook Pro with X32Edit wirelessly into X32-Core is a very nice PA option. 

I use IEMs (GorillaEars) out of two SD16 outputs into a headphone amp. My mix is pretty specific because I have problems with my ears and need to keep levels very low. I mostly rely on bleed for drums and bass, and feed just a bit of keys, vocals and my guitar into the IEMs. Takes some getting use to, but my ears won't tolerate anything else. All that great tone potential and I don't get to hear it! Take care of your ears, you'll really regret it if you don't.  Don't be in denial. That never works.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the cable mess.... :lol:

post-313650-0-39490300-1495788333.jpg

What are you using the FCB1010 for?  Ive had one for years, wanting to put use to it, but as nice as it could've been, it is insanely hard to program...even with 3rd party software.

• Upvote 1

What are you using the FCB1010 for?  Ive had one for years, wanting to put use to it, but as nice as it could've been, it is insanely hard to program...even with 3rd party software.

The Helix stomps and/or the FH1500 stomps, depends if I'm using both or just the amp. (EurekaPROM)

A newer approach... Why the Strymon pedals? Because they sound better than what's inside of Helix (to me)...

Why the La Grange? Best sounding Plexi stompbox out there to date!

V6rEocC.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

I've been on MainStage just this year (2018) making the move from full hardware (Pod X3 Pro) to full computer (hyped up MacBookPro) w/ Apogee GIO for the pedal board. Using regular Logic virtual amps and pedals works well but i've just bought the Helix Native plugin and am confused at how to map parameters to the GIO. 

For example, I can use the full Helix patch but i can't figure out how to pull the delay from that and assign it to a GIO pedal and tap like the GIO concert wants.

Ideas?

On 6/27/2017 at 2:03 PM, amsdenj said:

I use IEMs (GorillaEars) out of two SD16 outputs into a headphone amp. My mix is pretty specific because I have problems with my ears and need to keep levels very low. I mostly rely on bleed for drums and bass, and feed just a bit of keys, vocals and my guitar into the IEMs. Takes some getting use to, but my ears won't tolerate anything else. All that great tone potential and I don't get to hear it! Take care of your ears, you'll really regret it if you don't.  Don't be in denial. That never works.

I know your post was a year ago but I just tried to look up GorillaEars and they are out of business. Thought you might want to know.

Here is my Helix setup. Variax guts transplanted into a Warmoth Guitar (love the neck), Helix rack plus controller, Powercab Plus. I also put a small MIDI controllable tube amp head in the effects loop of one of my presets. Sounds great with multiple IRs (scenes) and the Powercab.

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.0614ee17a5b83933ba82655b1bd40fc3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1