Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rebuilding Preset 664

EdwinV

Hi all,

I'm really enjoying my Helix. I think it's a great sounding tool and super easy to use. Currently, I'm using firmware 1.10.0. During booting, I see the message "Rebuilding Preset 664" and "Rebuilding Preset 668". If I'm correct, this means preset 24 and 28 of setlist 6. These are presets I imported from Customtone.

Is there a way to correct this, or should I just delete these presets?

Thanks!

Do those presets work? In my experience, if there's actually a corrupt preset, the Helix locks up when trying to go to them. If they work, perhaps just re-saving them might be all you need to do.

Me too, approx 448-490, then 735-780. Just from my memory, something like that. Everytime since the upgrade to 1.10 7th April, can't say I noticed anything before then.

Have tried reset 10+11 'upgrade presets to latest format'.

Everything seems to work ok though.

I remember seeing something similar after several of the firmware updates. It happened to all of the presets immediately after the update and then once more after a power cycle for only some of the presets. Don't know which ones, but I think they were the ones I work on in a user setlist. I've also noticed it the next time I powered it on after rearranging things in a user setlist. Never had any problems associated with the rebuilding though. I just figured it's doing something it's supposed to be doing and kind of ignored it.

Mine does it too. Another user told me it happened to him until he reloaded his firmware and it went away. I reloaded mine, but it still happens. I'm just gonna hope it clears after the next install, if not, it's only a minor irritation.

Do those presets work? In my experience, if there's actually a corrupt preset, the Helix locks up when trying to go to them. If they work, perhaps just re-saving them might be all you need to do.

Both presets work OK. I've re-saved them, but this does not solve the message during booting. I totally acknowledge that this is not a real problem, but was just wondering if this is normal behavior.

I think it's normal. It always happens after a firmware update, but even without updating I often see one or more presets being rebuilt when Helix powers up. Don't know why, or what circumstances trigger it, but it's never been a problem for me.

Both presets work OK. I've re-saved them, but this does not solve the message during booting. I totally acknowledge that this is not a real problem, but was just wondering if this is normal behavior.

I think it's normal. It always happens after a firmware update, but even without updating I often see one or more presets being rebuilt when Helix powers up. Don't know why, or what circumstances trigger it, but it's never been a problem for me.

Not sure if this is can really be classified as normal. It may have something to do with some parameter in a preset that requires updating by the current firmware but then does not stick after a power down. I suspect this will either be addressed in a future firmware update or at least someone will hopefully figure out what causes it. I wonder if this can be caused by restoring a preset that was not saved with the corresponding Helix app for a particular firmware release.  I would think eventually the part of the preset causing the issue will be identified and updated and saved within the preset the first time so that it does not pop up again.

I too started experiencing this for 265 and 267 after loading about 15 presets from the customtone page.

Some of the patches had blank IR's and I thought that that was the issue. So I put in cabs in the place where the blank IR was.

After that only 267 would rebuild each time.

I re-ordered the newly added presets but that didn't fix the issue.

I then re-saved all the presets I had added and that seems to have fixed the issue.

I think just re-saving is what fixes this.

Is anyone with this issue still having the issue after re-saving?

Why this is an 'issue'? Everything operates fine - just takes a few more seconds to power up.

The only like example I can give is that Windows registry will still allow the OS to boot up too, until it gets "too" corrupted. In which case you must reformat the drive. If Helix gets too many presets to be rebuilt, is it possible it won't boot up as well?

.... If Helix gets too many presets to be rebuilt, is it possible it won't boot up as well?

Don't know for sure but I think it's unlikely. Helix rebuilds ALL presets after a firmware update, and also has a startup sequence that rebuilds all presets, so I can't see there ever being too many to rebuild.

Don't know for sure but I think it's unlikely. Helix rebuilds ALL presets after a firmware update, and also has a startup sequence that rebuilds all presets, so I can't see there ever being too many to rebuild.

I see this as a very minor bug that probably/hopefully goes away at some point. Certainly an apparently incredibly inconsequential issue but one that they may figure out and eliminate at some point. Boot time is still excellent on the Helix IMHO.

I too started experiencing this for 265 and 267 after loading about 15 presets from the customtone page.

Some of the patches had blank IR's and I thought that that was the issue. So I put in cabs in the place where the blank IR was.

After that only 267 would rebuild each time.

I re-ordered the newly added presets but that didn't fix the issue.

I then re-saved all the presets I had added and that seems to have fixed the issue.

I think just re-saving is what fixes this.

Is anyone with this issue still having the issue after re-saving?

If resaving the preset permanently eliminates the rebuild on reboot then perhaps the solution is, that in the next firmware version, have the rebuild process include a save of the affected preset.

I was getting the same message on 996, 997, 998 and 999. I mapped the affected patches and all I did was to load each one and re-saved it without making any changes and now Helix loads up without rebuilding anything. Dunno what happened, but it started doing it after I upgraded the FW to 1.10

People actually look at the display during startup? I power on the Helix, go power up my amp, then my PA, grab a guitar and plug in. By that time the Helix and everything else is ready to go.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Even with FW 1.12 rebuilding messages...

Why? What is being 'rebuild' during booting?!

I think that any preset (except any empty or 'New Preset') that hasn't previously been saved with the current firmware is rebuilt on each startup. For instance, immediately after a firmware update the factory setlists are automatically rebuilt. I believe the next startup will rebuild any existing user setlists. After that, anytime you load a new user setlist all its presets that were not saved before powering off are candidates for rebuild on the next startup, and so on. Importing a Customtone download will cause it to be rebuilt next startup if not saved. Explicitly saving a preset removes it from the rebuild candidate list.

But that's just my theory based on observation...... it could be wrong. I suppose that theory could be tested if anyone is so inclined. Rebuilding does no harm as far as I can tell.

[...]

But that's just my theory based on observation...... it could be wrong. [...]

Thank you for your theory ;) ...

I would really like to read a more official statement coming from DI or L6 -

these rebuilding remarks are slightly beginning to make me sceptical... :angry: