Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JM4 REALLY NOISEY what is he doing wrong?

mileskb

I was helping out a friend today who has been struggling with his JM4.

It sounds great through the PA, but when he tries to use it with any of his amps, there is LOUD hiss, even before turning up the volume on the guitar.  We tried assorted setups of going into the effects loop, or using the guitar out instead of the stereo outs..  but all had their version of either killing the tone, or noise.

I do have some other questions... but simply to start..

He has a Carvin 1 x 12 tweed combo amp that he wants to use with the looper.   Are there any special settings? I have a Helix and there are certain output and input level settings to set based on how you want to connect to an amp so I'm thinking this is the step he's missing.

Additionally,  He wants to send a signal to his amp (for his stage monitor) and the PA.  He's currently micing, but it seems like he should be able to get line out somehow.

Finally, how does one ByPass the JM4?  The Carvin is a great sounding amp all by itself.  There are some tunes where he doesn't want the signal going through the jm4 at all, just bypass direct to the amp.  

Thanks in advance... and yes I looked in the manual and seached...  I guess I wasn't asking the right questions because I came up empty.

Miles

Eeesh my man, I would think that if through the PA its cool the amp should go fine as well with the same settings. Only thing I can think of is a ground loop hum. Try plugging everything into the same outlet or power strip. I don't have a JM4 but the others I have DM4, MM4 DL4 and they can use batteries so the JM4 should use them too (maybe) which might be a way to try to see if its a ground loop hum.

Eeesh my man, I would think that if through the PA its cool the amp should go fine as well with the same settings. Only thing I can think of is a ground loop hum. Try plugging everything into the same outlet or power strip. I don't have a JM4 but the others I have DM4, MM4 DL4 and they can use batteries so the JM4 should use them too (maybe) which might be a way to try to see if its a ground loop hum.

He's had the unit for quite awhile, maybe a year.  He's tried it in different places and different amps same result.  It doesn't have the "ground lift" kind of sound, although anything is possible, but it can best be described as hisss.   Plug it in and SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  I was able to back off the output level and somewhat get it under control, but not really.   He has hung onto it, because just plugging straight into his board, for recording, he really liked it.  It spent a bunch of time learning to use the looper and such but when it came to time to play out....  well... it was unusable.  He has revisited it on several occasions, but same result.   I thought he was exaggerating until I heard it.  

I ran a quick search and the first thing that crops up is turning all unused inputs to "off" and turning down the XLR pot in the back. If our 'puter' dude ever upgrades our browsers here I could actually paste a link! (arrrrrgghhh!!).

But run Line 6 JM4 hiss though google and a bunch of links will pop up - look for the ones pointing to this board.

Rock On!

Bill

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my JM4. It's coming out of all my outputs. It's a hiss or a static with mine. Tried many options cords. plugs everything I could think of. It's still under warranty. It's only 6 months old. I will be sending mine to be fixed. Unless someone here gives m answers to solve the problem.

Worked fine for the first 2 months then I plugged in one day and had static or hiss.

Help

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I had the same noise problem.

I found out even JM4 switched OFF and amp ON  plugged in JM4 amp out I can't put any  cable in one of the stereo out otherwise the noise start.

When I unplug the stereo  out the noise disappear and I can use amp out

I also thought to do a workaround to get the drum/songs stereo from phone out and guitar from amp out performance mode but no sound goes to the amp 

I though there was some problems there.

I though my JM4 was defective but after replacing my new behringer soundcard with my old Steinberg ci2+ the problem magically svanished!