Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I need a digital delay with modulation

migueledge

I need a digital dilay with modulation, no a echo with mod, is it not the same.

I play in a u2 tribute band, in the past i used a m13, pod h500x or axe ultra. These multi fxs has digital delay with mod. 

M13 has more effects, and betters delays than helix.

The better delays i played was in the axe-fx ultra, i think that helix was similar, but no. I hope that in the next firmware update Iwill improve the delays. If this does not happen soon I look for a ax8 or FX2 .

I expect more effects will be ported to Helix but in the mean time you could add an M5 for little cost.  With midi it will give you all those missing effects and you can save with each patch on the Helix.  Far better solution than jumping to AX8 or FX2 IMHO since you would lose all the Helix functional advantages...

What is different about the mod chorus echo in Helix compared to the digital delay with mod in the HD? I think they are essentially the same thing. Could it be that you're hearing something different due to Helix's greater resolution in rendering effects? As an example I notice a difference with the octo and particle reverbs between the two units. It's difficult to describe the differences, but I do know that I prefer these effects on the HD.

The mod chorus echo is a Line 6 Original, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly the digital delay with mod from the HD, which would mean it was ported from the HD to Helix. Maybe the porting of effects produces a less than ideal result on Helix. I could be completely wrong though.

The Dual Delay model is a digital delay with modulation. If you wanted to use it as a single delay, you could turn the mix down to zero on one of the delays. That actually seems like the most percussive delay on the Helix to me.

• Upvote 2

I would just ignore the word echo in the name. Try switching between the dual delay and the mod chorus echo with a footswitch, with both producing the same delay. They both sound identical to me through headphones. No difference at all.

• Upvote 1

I would just ignore the word echo in the name. Try switching between the dual delay and the mod chorus echo with a footswitch, with both producing the same delay. They both sound identical to me through headphones. No difference at all.

It confirm that helix delays are bads (or sh*t, sorry).

The one thing about the Helix delays (well, one among many things) that's different than the HD series is the way the mix knob works. On the Helix, if you have the mix knob at 50%, that gives you equal wet and dry signals. If you go past 50, the wet start to get louder than the dry. If you want a delay where the repeats are not quite as loud as the dry, but almost, you'd want to have the mix in the 46-49 range. I actually like the Helix delays quite a lot. I liked the HD/M series delays, too, but I think the only one I really miss is the Auto Volume Echo. I would like to see that on the Helix eventually.

The one thing about the Helix delays (well, one among many things) that's different than the HD series is the way the mix knob works. On the Helix, if you have the mix knob at 50%, that gives you equal wet and dry signals. If you go past 50, the wet start to get louder than the dry. If you want a delay where the repeats are not quite as loud as the dry, but almost, you'd want to have the mix in the 46-49 range. I actually like the Helix delays quite a lot. I liked the HD/M series delays, too, but I think the only one I really miss is the Auto Volume Echo. I would like to see that on the Helix eventually.

I try with dual delay is sound good, better than others, but to use in mono, i think that is not the solution. Helix delays could be enough but actually is faraway of fractal axe fx.

The multi tracking you are hearing might be a ducked or "original guitar" track as the rest of the bass, drums and vocals are there for comparison,  I doubt there is much post processing as that would defeat the purpose of what Glenn is trying to do.  I do have this artists pack and it is very impressive sounding.  And the other great thing is this allowed me to also check out the thought process used in building these patches.

Moreover in the videos where Glenn demos a single patch each there's usually some text like: "all guitars on this track have been played and recorded with this patch."

Maybe Glenn himself can comment on this (although I think he's busy at the moment so maybe he's not hanging around here now these days...)

• 6 months later...

It sounds pretty good, but i heard multi tracks guitars and i think that maybe post processed, but sound great.

I think it's not a good sound at all! The only think I hear is the backing track. 

The Helix is not the best product for U2 tribute guitar players. Unfortunately not even close to mod delay of SDD-3000 or similar...