Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patches for Helix > power amp > guitar cab

Perfect

Does anyone have any good patches for running the Helix into a power amp and guitar speakers that you can share please?

I've created a bunch of tones noodling around using headphones (and cab sims) however that isn't the way I would use it live.

My experiments so far suggest that running the Helix amp model with no cab sim through a clean power amp into a Marshall guitar cab (closed back, 12 inch speakers) sounds promising, although some amp models are rather harsh at default settings. Normally I would just thrash this out by tweaking, however I have a problem in that my band is currently doing "low volume" rehearsals and I can't play at full gig volume at home to really dial in the sounds, so it would be useful to benchmark against some other examples. I certainly don't want to start experimenting at a gig in front of an audience :-)

Final thought (probably won't work, but what the heck) is there a short cut/smart way of doing this? Such as finding a cab sim/IR that works for setting up a patch using flat monitoring and when removed from the patch leaves you with a similar end result when run into an actual guitar cab? Arguably this should work for the speaker itself, although the microphone element is presumably a complicating factor.

Final thought (probably won't work, but what the heck) is there a short cut/smart way of doing this? Such as finding a cab sim/IR that works for setting up a patch using flat monitoring and when removed from the patch leaves you with a similar end result when run into an actual guitar cab? Arguably this should work for the speaker itself, although the microphone element is presumably a complicating factor.

I may be able to get an IR together for you for patch setup that sounds similar to your live rig.

What "clean power amp" are you using?  Tube or solid state? Brand/model? 

Is your Marshall cab 4x12?  Do you know the model number?  Do you know what brand/model speakers are inside?

I run a similar set up except I split the path right at the end

I send one through a dual cab 1x12 Celestion 80s to the FOH via the XLRS and one before the cabs to my power amps and onstage cabs via the 1/4

I use an eq block in front of the cabless path to knock off some of the hi end

Sounds dreamy

Happy to share the patch of you want it

I do own a Marshall 1960A 4x12 however these days I normally use the combination of a Marshall 1936 2x12 behind me (upgraded to a pair of 150 watt speakers) with a Marshall 1912 1x12 (with a stock Celestion G12B-150) on the other side of the stage for some stereo spread.

This will be using a solid state amp. I do own a Marshall 9200 (but it's so heavy to lug around!) and a Mesa Boogie 20/20 (sounds good for most stuff but I was never happy with the clean sounds at gig volume) however what I want to do now is cleanly amplify the output from the Helix through "real" speakers.

A potential added bonus of this approach is that dispensing with the IR from the "live" version of the patch seems to reduce the annoying delay when switching patches. IRs will still be used when going direct for rehearsal and recording.

Happy to share the patch of you want it

Yes please.

I use an eq block in front of the cabless path to knock off some of the hi end

This is the sort of thing I'm interested in. Is there a generic solution that can be applied to get most of the way there, rather than having to tweak every amp model to use it with an actual guitar cab?

I do own a Marshall 1960A 4x12 however these days I normally use the combination of a Marshall 1936 2x12 behind me (upgraded to a pair of 150 watt speakers) with a Marshall 1912 1x12 (with a stock Celestion G12B-150) on the other side of the stage for some stereo spread.

This will be using a solid state amp. I do own a Marshall 9200 (but it's so heavy to lug around!) and a Mesa Boogie 20/20 (sounds good for most stuff but I was never happy with the clean sounds at gig volume) however what I want to do now is cleanly amplify the output from the Helix through "real" speakers.

A potential added bonus of this approach is that dispensing with the IR from the "live" version of the patch seems to reduce the annoying delay when switching patches. IRs will still be used when going direct for rehearsal and recording.

Amplitube had a Marshall 1936 2x12 model. I put Celestion G12K-100 speakers in it. I did two series, one with a 121 ribbon "R" and 87 condenser "C" mics and one with 57 dynamic "D" and 87 condenser "C" mics, with 3 positions each. 0, 1, & 2 inches from the center cap. No tube power amp influence on them to keep them close to solid state as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k5jkjf4pqtklmnp/AAC60I9dUilAsO2E8DQzWbJXa?dl=0

I think these two may sound closest to your real cab.

Mar212_G12K100_0iDC.wav

Mar212_G12K100_1iDC.wav

The other ones get progressively darker, but you may like them over headphones.

Amplitube had a Marshall 1936 2x12 model. I put Celestion G12K-100 speakers in it. I did two series, one with a 121 ribbon "R" and 87 condenser "C" mics and one with 57 dynamic "D" and 87 condenser "C" mics, with 3 positions each. 0, 1, & 2 inches from the center cap. No tube power amp influence on them to keep them close to solid state as possible.

Thank you - will give them a listen this evening.