Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ suggestions for my live setup

jonzackham

I have my own monitor mix with a standard 12" monitor. I also have control of the guitar channel EQ. I run my Helix mono out of XLR. My parches are pretty simple, amp head, a couple of cabinets, reverb, delay, over drive, compression. Should I work with the global EQ on the Helix for a general EQ for all patches, EQ as an effect in the signal chain, perhaps the parametric EQ on the mixer channel? Too many EQ's to mess with-ha!

[First of all (in case you don't know):

Turn off the phantom power in your Behringer channel.]

NOTE: Global EQ is never heard from Send, Digital, or USB outputs. (Helix manual)

EQing can be really tricky and needs a lot of experience...

Anyway, my approach is always trying to use the Global EQ first - this does it in many cases.

But you have to find your solution with your setup!

Thanks for the replies, and no Peter, no sound guy, I think it's just going to take some tinkering on my part, and by the way, I have taken many of your suggestions and tips on the Helix. I like simple. I try to read as many of your posts as I can, thanks again

I'd suggest getting your patches to sound as best they can before you ever touch the Global EQ. If you get your patches dialed in and then use the global to get them the rest of the way, then go play somewhere else with different amplification or FOH, adjusting the global is going to f-up your "sound". If you have the global EQ available to tune to a room, you should be able to get yourself 99% consistent sound in most scenarios.

• Upvote 1

I'd suggest getting your patches to sound as best they can before you ever touch the Global EQ. If you get your patches dialed in and then use the global to get them the rest of the way, then go play somewhere else with different amplification or FOH, adjusting the global is going to f-up your "sound". If you have the global EQ available to tune to a room, you should be able to get yourself 99% consistent sound in most scenarios.

Have to agree with gunpointmetal here. If you start with the Global EQ you leave yourself no room for global adjustment to different rooms and rigs.  Additionally, the various EQ blocks available within a preset (parametric, 10 band graphic, etc.) provide much more exacting tools to get the EQ right.  Get what you want first within a preset and then use global only when you need it to adjust to the room and whatever amp, PA, etc. you are playing through that day.

I'd suggest getting your patches to sound as best they can before you ever touch the Global EQ. [...]

Totaaly agree with this!

I thought it would be clear that the patches were already dialed in - and then using GEQ (at first) for

the live setup... Guess this was a bit ambiguous ;)

Totaaly agree with this!

I thought it would be clear that the patches were already dialed in - and then using GEQ (at first) for

the live setup... Guess this was a bit ambiguous ;)

Klangmaler is right and I can see why he would assume the presets are already dialed in given the title of this topic. Once you have the presets dialed in as best as possible his tips are a great way to proceed at the gig. Btw "GEQ" is a little ambiguous too as it also stands for "Graphic Equalizer" as well as global EQ as you intended it in your post. Just having a little fun here, great tips!   ;)

I have an XR18 that I will be using with my Helix very soon.

Yes of course get your patches sounding good first.. (surely you won't be gigging until this is true?)

As you are running the Helix straight from XLR into the XR18 you obviously cannot use the Global EQ on your stage sound without affecting the FOH sound (as would be he case if you have your stage amp connected via 1/4in as I do)

So, I would try to connect up your aux monitor as quickly as possible at sound check and then adjust your Global EQ to get a good stage sound.  Then your sound man will have to adjust the FOH mix from there.

If you have enough XR18 mixer channels you could run a jack from the 1/4in outs on the Helix and purely route that through your monitor.  XLR->FOH, 1/4in -> monitor.  Then you can set your Helix Global EQ to 1/4in only and adjust it to your hearts content without messing up the FOH.

I agree with what others have suggested. Get your sound dialed before going to global EQ. I typically build my patches with an EQ block that I can activate or deactivate for using live (I used a pair of Alto TS110s). When recording I deactivate the EQ block - live w/ the Altos I need to tame the high end so I cut that somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.5 or 6.5K. These set up proves very flexible. Also experiment with the EQ settings at gig level. 

Good luck - 

I wonder about degradation when taking a signal through multiple A-to-D and D-to-A converters. In this case:

Guitar (or vocal) --> Helix A/D --> Helix D/A --> XR18 A/D --> XR18 D/A --> PA powered speakers.

Perhaps its not a concern. I found this article: http://ethanwiner.com/loop-back.htm

Interesting article thanks for posting - I will have to listen to those new test clips on my studio monitors and see if I can identify the degradation properly.

As to the use of two A/D and two D/A converters in your signal path a live setting - I absolutely would not worry about it in the slightest!