Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Wireless Set-up

Fulcrum

Good day all.

Before my Helix arrives, there are some things I'd like to get sorted out first.

The main item on my list is my G-50 wireless. (Or any wireless for that matter) What is the best way to hook this up and position it with the Helix?

I don't think they took the wireless into account when designing the Helix.

Running a cable all the way back from the front of the stage kind of defeats the whole 'wireless' idea and would colour the sound.

Yes, I could tweak the sound with the Cable Tone knob but I shouldn't have to mess with a cable as this is a 'wireless' device!

Next is a snake. Can anyone suggest a good snake or similar method to protect my cable runs?

• Upvote 1

I use a G70 with my Helix, love it!

Sounds like you want Helix rack + Helix floor controller. Put your wireless with the rack, so the only long cable run is between the controller and the rack, which doesn't have any bearing on the tone.

Also, Line6 has a b-stock Reverb.com store, G70 w/ warranty for $400 (instead of $500)

https://reverb.com/item/1577618-line-6-relay-g70-guitar-wireless-system

Running a cable all the way back from the front of the stage kind of defeats the whole 'wireless' idea and would colour the sound.

True. Helix is not designed to be.a wireless device. I presume the cable you are talking about is the Helix audio output cable(s) to the mixer/FOH? You will also need a power cord/cable unless there is a power outlet on stage.

I think to have a completely wireless stage presence you need the audio device (amp, Helix, whatever) in the backline where its cables are unobtrusive. Even if you are using a traditional analog pedalboard on stage with a wireless guitar setup you still have the power and audio output cable considerations, don't you?

• Upvote 1

I was considereing having the wireless at my amp and running a 30 foot cable to the Helix as part of my 4CM. I'm glad I didn't use that option.  I have a G50 wireless, a Digitech Drop and a Mission Engineering Exp pedal on my board with the Helix.  The cables going to the amp are longer than they need to be but I don't notice any loss of signal with 30 feet on each of the 3 cables.

• Upvote 1

I use a G70 with my Helix, love it!

Sounds like you want Helix rack + Helix floor controller. Put your wireless with the rack, so the only long cable run is between the controller and the rack, which doesn't have any bearing on the tone.

Also, Line6 has a b-stock Reverb.com store, G70 w/ warranty for $400 (instead of $500)

https://reverb.com/item/1577618-line-6-relay-g70-guitar-wireless-system

Sounds like I need an extra $600 dollars for your solution. No thanks.

But nice um, avatar.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like I need an extra $600 dollars for your solution. No thanks.

But nice um, avatar.

Yeah, I hear ya! Every $400 counts.. I have the Helix 'regular' (floorboard, not rack) and I just put the G70 receiver on a little pedalboard next to my Helix, with a couple of Mission expression pedals.

I don't use a snake, so can't speak on that, but I get other cables from Best-tronics, and they make a bunch of snake options, custom and otherwise.:

http://btpa.com/Snakes/

http://btpa.com/Custom-Snakes-and-Enclosures/

What we need Line6 to invent is a wireless snake! Wireless 4CM?

Cheers!

p.s. the old Starblazers show is indelibly imprinted into my subconscious from my younger days!

""Prepare to fire the Wave-Motion Gun!" :)

Good day all.

Before my Helix arrives, there are some things I'd like to get sorted out first.

The main item on my list is my G-50 wireless. (Or any wireless for that matter) What is the best way to hook this up and position it with the Helix?

Yes, I could tweak the sound with the Cable Tone knob but I shouldn't have to mess with a cable as this is a 'wireless' device!

Next is a snake. Can anyone suggest a good snake or similar method to protect my cable runs?

I'm not sure I quite understand your complaint/issue. I have the Helix floor version. If I wanted to have my guitar be wireless, I would just plug the receiver into the guitar input (or the aux input, I suppose). Since it's all modeling anyway, there's no benefit to plugging directly in to the Helix unless you are taking advantage of the input impedence settings on the Helix since, by default, it uses a 1M load, the same as their wireless systems. The Helix then goes straight to FOH or to an FRFR if they don't have much of a PA. Those connections COULD be wireless if you really wanted, but I have never been to a venue where they are, and since I don't generally move the Helix while I play, I don't see any reason for them to be.

Is the issue that you have a rack wireless receiver and don't like the idea of running a cable from the back to the front? Most wireless systems are half rack at most (notable exception is the G90) and can easily be used next to the Helix, or mounted on the underside of a pedal board, or mounted on top of a pedal board. If you have to have a rack, then the rack Helix is the better option. In that case, you have a single cable running from the rack to the floor control unit, which is really no different than a pedal board and a real amp (actually I had a snake plus a footswitch cable in my real amp setup).

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I quite understand your complaint/issue. I have the Helix floor version. If I wanted to have my guitar be wireless, I would just plug the receiver into the guitar input (or the aux input, I suppose). Since it's all modeling anyway, there's no benefit to plugging directly in to the Helix unless you are taking advantage of the input impedence settings on the Helix since, by default, it uses a 1M load, the same as their wireless systems. The Helix then goes straight to FOH or to an FRFR if they don't have much of a PA. Those connections COULD be wireless if you really wanted, but I have never been to a venue where they are, and since I don't generally move the Helix while I play, I don't see any reason for them to be.

Is the issue that you have a rack wireless receiver and don't like the idea of running a cable from the back to the front? Most wireless systems are half rack at most (notable exception is the G90) and can easily be used next to the Helix, or mounted on the underside of a pedal board, or mounted on top of a pedal board. If you have to have a rack, then the rack Helix is the better option. In that case, you have a single cable running from the rack to the floor control unit, which is really no different than a pedal board and a real amp (actually I had a snake plus a footswitch cable in my real amp setup).

I want a short (3ft or less) cable run from my G-50 to the Helix floor board as a long cable run partly negates the whole idea of wireless operation. Bare on the stage beside the Helix? That's a terrible idea.

• Upvote 1

I want a short (3ft or less) cable run from my G-50 to the Helix floor board as a long cable run partly negates the whole idea of wireless operation. Bare on the stage beside the Helix? That's a terrible idea.

So put it on a pedal board, like others have done. No one is going to integrate wireless into their modeler, that would raise the price by at least a couple hundred dollars to add a feature many people don't even want. So it's not really a fault of this unit that it doesn't include a solution for this one particular need. The G50 is designed to be put on a pedal board, so it's no worse off being bare on the stage.

Yup; get a pedalboard that can fit both Helix and the G50, check out the pedalboard Glenn DeLaune uses

Looks like exactly what you are trying to achieve!

http://line6.com/support/topic/18246-live-rig-pics/?hl=gangsterusa&do=findComment&comment=145506

CNB PDC-4100G  http://www.rondomusi...m/pdc4100g.html

glennrig.jpg

• 6 years later...