Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay G10 - why no charging port on transmitter??

ianericdotcom

I'm buying a G10 anyway - but I can't understand why this wasn't an included feature.  A simple USB port on the transmitter so it can be charged via cable as well as on the receiver/base station?

My personal details (which I can only imagine apply to others as well):

I'm a solo-acoustic performer.  I've got a great custom pedalboard setup with universal power supply, etc.  Everything is pre-wired and pre-cabled to make my setup/teardown as quick and easy as possible - full-on OCD style!  The G10 receiver will live on that pedalboard.  There's no way I'm going to drag my pedalboard inside all the time just to charge my G10 transmitter.  If I could just pop the transmitter in my pocket after a gig, bring it into my house, and plug a USB charging cable into it, life would be SO easy.  

I think my ultimate solution is going to be to keep the receiver removable from the pedalboard via medium-strength velcro.  Line6 Tech Support confirmed that a generic USB charging cable (micro) can be used to power the receiver/base station, so I won't have to "unwire" my power source on the pedalboard.  Just unplug the receiver, take it and the transmitter into my house, and charge it up that way.

Tech support also said there are no "battery memory" issues, so I can "top off" the charge on my performance breaks, as well as before my gig begins.  I'm guessing that with the anticipated battery life, I'm probably going to be pleasantly surprised by how infrequently I'll need to do a full-charge.  Still, the option to simply use a USB cable would be an easily-added and much-appreciated feature.

• 1 month later...

Im considering making a separate charger using a 5v source (like an USB AC adapter) and a 1/4" stereo jack. I think all the charging circuitry is contained within the transmitter, and the receiver is just pushing 5v to it using the 1/4" TRS plug. So, my theory is to put +5v to the ring on the TRS, and - to the sleeve.

If it's actually this simple, then I could make a charger out of a cheap AC adapter, and a TRS jack. I have that stuff lying around.

I agree with jws1982. You can make one yourself. A little testing on the charger is all that's required to know the voltage and charging location, although it's possible that it's not on the ring that's the most likely place. Also I would bet the overcharging limiter is on the plug side rather than the receiver side, but that would also be important to check to prevent damage and explosions.

Finished. I modified a USB cable and put a 1/4" female TRS jack on the end. Soldered ground (black and bare) to the sleeve, and 5v (red) to the ring.

Testing now using an iPhone AC adapter, and working great. Will update with the final results.

Final result: works great. Charged to full in a similar time as using the base. It indicated a full charge via solid green light. I tested with a 1A and 2.5A 5V AC adapters.

No more pulling out the base to charge. Now I'll use my iPhone charger, or charge it on the way to the gig in my car.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I agree. but for an extra $179 solution, you could buy a second G10 system, keep the base at home or wherever and have a spare transmitter for home use.

For what you're asking for, it's a win-win for a cheaper $179 system.

Good Luck! 

That would make sense, however here in Oz they are $400 RRP so if I was going to technically buy 2 of them I would go the top of the line unit, even thought I'm not a huge fan of body packs...

• 3 months later...