Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x Sounding Thin Compared To Hd500

matthewterrado

I recently upgraded to the POD HD500x from the HD500 and uploaded my old tones from the 500 to the 500x by changing the .extension. It worked great except I've noticed that my tone sounds thinner and brighter on the HD500x. Also, it seems like the output volume is quieter while using headphones than it was on the 500. Any Ideas?

Assuming you are correct you could do a manual comparison (maybe via screenshots) whether the tone settings in the file (the binary encoding) are translating to the same parameter values (what shown in the SW editor or on the HD display) on the HD500 and HD500X user interfaces.

You should be able to at least check and compare the 2 editors using both file versions of the 'same' tone if you do not have the HD500 anymore. Would be really interresting if you find a difference beyond it just sounding different.

Besides that there could be more HW changes lurking that have not been dicovered by users opening the HD500X enclosure (and not pulished by Line 6), e.g., like a change in AD converters or just a later rev of the AD converters installed in the HD500X.

Just wildly guessing ...

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

So I compared the two and the Hd500 is louder than the 500x but the tones are pretty consistent between the two. Maybe my ears were messing with me on the day I first got the 500x!

Tones can sound different at different volumes.  It's called the Fletcher Munson Curve:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

If there was a noticeable difference in volume the patch could have sounded thin as you wouldn't hear as much bottom end.  So it may not have been your ears messing with you!

I remember they added a loudness feature to the Vetta, firmware 2.0 I believe, that compensated for this when you were playing at lower volumes. 

Feature wise the Vetta was way ahead of its time.  That was a sweet amp, but way heavier than my HD500 :)

• Upvote 1

Tones can sound different at different volumes.  It's called the Fletcher Munson Curve:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

If there was a noticeable difference in volume the patch could have sounded thin as you wouldn't hear as much bottom end.  So it may not have been your ears messing with you!

I remember they added a loudness feature to the Vetta, firmware 2.0 I believe, that compensated for this when you were playing at lower volumes. 

Feature wise the Vetta was way ahead of its time.  That was a sweet amp, but way heavier than my HD500 :)

That totally makes sense! My question now is, should I set my master volume lower while running the POD direct out in the PA so I can get the bottom end?

That totally makes sense! My question now is, should I set my master volume lower while running the POD direct out in the PA so I can get the bottom end?

What I do is leave the master volume on the HD500 wide open.  I then create my patches at whatever volume, and as close to the same speaker type, I'll be using onstage.  That way I know pretty much what I'm going to get. 

Then if you find that you're having to play at a lower volume at a gig and it sounds a little thin you can use the EQ on the PA to compensate.  That way you aren't going back and adjusting all your patches.    

I pretty much only play going direct to the house these days and use a stage monitor or in ear monitors.  This method of creating patches works really well for me.  

Also if you use the same PA or setup a lot you can start to figure out how it reacts.  I have a PA that I own and use and it tends to produce a little more bottom end, so I create the patches that way.  I have another set of patches I use if I play at church because I'm familiar with how the room reacts.  

• Upvote 1

What I do is leave the master volume on the HD500 wide open.  I then create my patches at whatever volume, and as close to the same speaker type, I'll be using onstage.  That way I know pretty much what I'm going to get. 

Then if you find that you're having to play at a lower volume at a gig and it sounds a little thin you can use the EQ on the PA to compensate.  That way you aren't going back and adjusting all your patches.    

I pretty much only play going direct to the house these days and use a stage monitor or in ear monitors.  This method of creating patches works really well for me.  

Also if you use the same PA or setup a lot you can start to figure out how it reacts.  I have a PA that I own and use and it tends to produce a little more bottom end, so I create the patches that way.  I have another set of patches I use if I play at church because I'm familiar with how the room reacts.  

Yeah I create my tone using my IEMs, so opening up the master volume would kill me. I suppose I can turn the amp or mixer volume down to open up room for the master. It doesn't sound thin at lower volumes. It's when you crank it that it starts to sound thin. I'll try your method out! Thanks for the help!

It's when you crank it that it starts to sound thin.

Really? Wow. That just goes to prove the "Different strokes for different folks" moniker. ^_^

When I create my tones... all of them... through each system, favor the bass/mid's when I crank it. :D

At home I play through my studio (KRK Rokit 8's) or my 1/2 stack. At church, the PA and/or sometimes my Fender Stage 112 amp.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how to start a new topic on here, but I'm having real issues with my HD500x looper and can't find any advice on the web about it: 

The looper is meant to be 48 seconds. but it's not even doing half that before stopping recording me and starting again from the beginning, just as if I'd pressed the footswitch. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

The looper is meant to be 48 seconds. but it's not even doing half that before stopping recording me and starting again from the beginning, just as if I'd pressed the footswitch.

The looper time can be extended to 48 seconds if you hit the half speed switch prior to recording your loop.

• 1 year later...

it's all in the timing...  it's something you'll have to work at.

Hey,

After a long wait i finally got my hands on the POD HD 500X 
Tried using the looper function. There is a delay (Empty space) between the loops.

Is there some setting tweeks i need to figure out? or is there an issue with the gear?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Yep, this happens if you don't hit the record button at just the right time.  Took me a long time to figure this out when I first started using a looper.

In SIMPLE terms, if your progression is for example G, C, D.  Play it once or twice without the looper, then hit the record for the first time just as you hit the G chord, then again when you get BACK to the G chord again.  You are likely hitting it on the D instead...or something similar.  There are several youtube videos that explain it better, but that was my issue anyway.

IMO the HD looper is "ok" and there are some neat things that can be done with it but it really needs to be able to quantize  (ie: fill in the gaps). So if you ever get the urge to look for an external looper remember that term.

-B

exactly... that and a number of other features is why i bought a RC300

crazy overkill, and crazy big.. but crazy awesome! :)

IMO the HD looper is "ok" and there are some neat things that can be done with it but it really needs to be able to quantize  (ie: fill in the gaps). So if you ever get the urge to look for an external looper remember that term.

-B

I like the looper, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with it...

I get a loop going just fine, but it seems any effect I turn on (like distortion or delay) gets applied to the loop.  So if I want to lay down a clean backing track, or a delay loop, and play some lead with distortion, the distortion automatically gets applied to the backing track, which usually ends up sounding horrible.

you need to change the pre/post setting based on which one you want at the time,.

I like the looper, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with it...

I get a loop going just fine, but it seems any effect I turn on (like distortion or delay) gets applied to the loop.  So if I want to lay down a clean backing track, or a delay loop, and play some lead with distortion, the distortion automatically gets applied to the backing track, which usually ends up sounding horrible.