Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping with Helix

SymphonicDischord

Hey guys,

I'm about to do some reamping with my Helix externally through my interface and I just want to clarify that my thought process is correct in setting this up properly. So I'm gonna route the track from my DAW to one of my interfaces outputs which I will then feed into the input of my Helix. Now if I'm not mistaken I should have the input set to line level not instrument, correct?

Then I will send it out of the Helix via 1/4 or XLR (haven't decided yet) once again set to line level signal back into one of the inputs of my interface which of course will be recording to a new track in my DAW. Is there anything that I'm missing in this process or is my logic sound?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Assuming your interface's outputs are line level, yes. The trick is that neither the Guitar or Aux input is true -10 or +4 dBu line level, so ideally, you'd want to go into one of the effects returns. Unfortunately, none of the stock presets have an effects return set as the Input block. You can do this really easily by selecting the Input block and turning the joystick until it says "Input Return 1".

If you're on a Mac, you can also easily create an aggregate device and use Helix as an interface in tandem with your other one. Everything'll sound better and you won't have to worry about setting levels. Just set the Input block to USB 3/4, 5/6, or 7/8 and go.

I've only done this direct with Helix, but it worked insanely well. Out USB 3/4 (or whatever), return USB 1/2.

You can also easily track guitars with helix, recording the Helix affected signal on one USB input (or pair) and the dry guitar tone on another.

Thanks for the effects return tip DI. I am on a Mac, but I'm a little gunshy just setting it up as my audio interface with all the issues that seem to be arising over the OS and USB issues. Unfortunately time is of the essence for me, and right now I know my interface has no issues and I'm not quite ready to tackle the Helix in this regards.

Assuming your interface's outputs are line level, yes. The trick is that neither the Guitar or Aux input is true -10 or +4 dBu line level, so ideally, you'd want to go into one of the effects returns. Unfortunately, none of the stock presets have an effects return set as the Input block. You can do this really easily by selecting the Input block and turning the joystick until it says "Input Return 1".

If you're on a Mac, you can also easily create an aggregate device and use Helix as an interface in tandem with your other one. Everything'll sound better and you won't have to worry about setting levels. Just set the Input block to USB 3/4, 5/6, or 7/8 and go.

Hey DI  - first off thanks for all the direct interaction that you and Frank have provided these past months on this and the TPG forum.

You guys = awesome!

I record on a Mac with logic pro w/ and apogee TB ensemble interface - your comment about using the Helix as an aggregate device caught my attention. Could you detail this set up as it sound ideal for many of my recording situations. Thanks!!