Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting external preamp to HD

jesuscares

can someone tell me where exactly in the chain the preamp would be best.I tried going through the preamp & then into the POD but it doesn't sound quite right.

Also give me tips on where modulation stomp boxes & distortions would fit in appropriately .Thanks

My current setup is:

Guitar into POD, mono effects send to Triaxis preamp guitar in, Triaxis preamp fx loop send to mono return on POD fx loop, stereo outs on POD to stereo Marshall power amp, sound great. Just bear in mind that every patch on your POD now requires the effects loop on (taking up 1 block)

Steve

My current setup is:

Guitar into POD, mono effects send to Triaxis preamp guitar in, Triaxis preamp fx loop send to mono return on POD fx loop, stereo outs on POD to stereo Marshall power amp, sound great. Just bear in mind that every patch on your POD now requires the effects loop on (taking up 1 block)

Steve

My HD500x is on the way.May I ask you what is Triaxis? How do I find it in the HD500x?

Running a preamp into a preamp doesn't usually sound good, but it's not impossible

Around here, as long as it involves more gear and a vastly more complex setup who cares if it sounds good???!!!!   :rolleyes:

Guitar playing used to be about playing guitar...now it's a freakin' equipment demonstration.....

My current setup is:

Steve

The HD 500x is here & sure rocks.The heavier tones are impressive with good lows.However I like using tube amps or preamps for its sensitivity to my fingers. Trying your method I would like to use my AMT SS 11 preamp & see how it sounds.At present I tried hooking my guitar into AMT & then into the pod.Somehow it doesn't sound right even when I use the clean channel in the AMT.There is too much of hiss & exaggerated highs in the overall output.Using your method will I be able to keep the main amp model on the POD on,or will I have to disable it? Will it be overpowered by the AMT preamp?

I tried your method with the elven rack & it was okay for some amp models but not for all though.

The HD 500x is here & sure rocks.The heavier tones are impressive with good lows.However I like using tube amps or preamps for its sensitivity to my fingers. Trying your method I would like to use my AMT SS 11 preamp & see how it sounds.At present I tried hooking my guitar into AMT & then into the pod.Somehow it doesn't sound right even when I use the clean channel in the AMT.There is too much of hiss & exaggerated highs in the overall output.Using your method will I be able to keep the main amp model on the POD on,or will I have to disable it? Will it be overpowered by the AMT preamp?

I tried your method with the elven rack & it was okay for some amp models but not for all though.

Two pre-amps daisy chained together will always be a noisy mess. They're just not designed to work like that. Get rid of the amp models in the POD if you want to run that way.

I have a Marshall valve state 50 watts head, I used the Treadplate in path "A" then in path "B" the FX loop send to the head guitar input then the head FX send to the POD FX return with a null amp model, then panned both to center and was able to get a sound like that of an old Create G250 the analog features of the head (the infinite span adjustment between 0-&-10 of the gain & contour) made it possible. Although the POD's digital limitations of incremental adjustment from one number setting to the next give opportunity foe fixed & easy set points, it still has some good sound & flexibility, I hope in their next update they let you assign Bypass amp volume control to the expression peddle

Also if you're not going to use the power amplifier portion of your amp heads/combos plug in a headphones or dead wire into the headphones jack so it turns off the output portion of your amp, a powered up amp without a load can hurt it.